On board Quest just now......sleeping on deck!!

alfredo1

4 hours ago, critterchick said:

It's all very well and good that they are offering compensation, but that's rather like saying Viking did a great job in offering full refunds to the Sky passengers when they shouldn't have been in those waters in the first place.

I have been following the Viking Star thread quite carefully and so far as I am aware the interim findings of the inquiry into this event have not mentioned the route or the weather. The issue seems to be a technical one and recommendations seem to be about adjusting the minimum oil level for those ships.

• Like 2

If you look at The Viking Sky Survivors thread you will see that not only have they already sent cheques out for the full value of the cruise, plus offered a free cruise, plus now a free place on an inaugural cruise in 2021.  Viking is a class act.  Doubtless Azamara will also step up to the mark to recompense those inconvenienced on Quest.

4 hours ago, Mrs Miggins said:

If you look at The Viking Sky Survivors thread you will see that not only have they already sent cheques out for the full value of the cruise, plus offered a free cruise, plus now a free place on an inaugural cruise in 2021.  Viking is a class act.  Doubtless Azamara will also step up to the mark to recompense those inconvenienced on Quest.

As I understand it they have already agreed to refund half the cost of the cruise.

Getting a bit worried.  We have booked on the Azamara Journey, cruise in the Med., during Oct, 2020.  Hope that they don't plan to drydock the ship just before out cruise.  If that occurs, will rethink the sailing.

Pleased people on board are feeling happier now but let's not forget that their cruise experience has been ruined. For many it may have been the trip of a lifetime, the final travel experience, the first cruise. No amount of compensation can make up for that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Getting a bit worried.  We have booked on the Azamara Journey, cruise in the Med., during Oct, 2020.  Hope that they don't plan to drydock the ship just before out cruise.  If that occurs, will rethink the sailing.

Are there sailings scheduled before yours? If so, drydock quite unlikely.

There is no sailing being sold on Journey over the period of 1 September 2020 - I know because we wanted to book then for a special birthday celebration - it could of course be a charter - time will tell.

28 minutes ago, uktog said:

There is no sailing being sold on Journey over the period of 1 September 2020 - I know because we wanted to book then for a special birthday celebration - it could of course be a charter - time will tell.

Would make sense that the dry dock was scheduled for then before the 3 ships meet in Koper on the 8th October 2020.

11 hours ago, Riocca said:

Would make sense that the dry dock was scheduled for then before the 3 ships meet in Koper on the 8th October 2020.

We are scheduled to sale on Oct. 21.  Initially I thought that there was a gap before the cruise, but just saw that there is an 11 day cruise starting on Oct. 10th.  There is a narrow gap between September and Oct, but I think not long enough for drydock. 

On 3/31/2019 at 2:05 PM, spikkel said:
  • please keep us posted on the ships condition, we are on the next cruise out of Tokyo, Annelies
  • gld you hve airco on again

Despite the title of the thread, guess the passengers are no longer sleeping on deck.   What other severe problems are being experienced other than the shops not being open?

On 4/2/2019 at 7:15 PM, stevenr597 said:

We are also booked on the Quest. Looks like is is sailing several voyages before ours!  

4 hours ago, CalTravelers said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if, having learned from Quest, they don’t schedule a slightly longer dry dock for Journey.  It would seem sensible to do that.  There was obviously more work involved than they thought and Singapore is an efficient shipyard.  

Phil

Hi all

Remember me?  The person who nearly got bumped by Azamara last year and was given a 100% compensation?  It was a loooong thread so I know some of you regulars do remember.  Well guess what?  I was also on this cruise!  I think it’s actually me that’s the problem, not the dry docking. I am cursed when it comes to Azamara.  And clearly they don’t want my money. 🤣 (fine by me).

In all seriousness it was hideous, and that comes from someone who has lived in very hot countries (e.g., Malaysia, Singapore).  I slept on deck along with many others.  There was actually a fight near me with two men wrangling over a deck chair, the words used were AZamazing and not in a good way.  People’s tempers were really very frayed and many were quite unwell in other ways.  Having just arrived, being jet lagged and then faced with another two days with no sleep in horrid conditions meant that my immune system was shot to shreds and I promptly got a bronchial infection, so that even once the aircon was fixed I had a miserable first week.  Never again....and not because Azamara is bad once you get on board (the staff are incredible, including Bonny of course) but as a result of these two experiences I really don’t have any respect for their US-based company at all and I do not trust them.

Does anyone out there know how long it usually takes Azamara to process a refundable OBC?  Last time Ryzard organised it for me while I was onboard.  This time, as there are so many people, I’m not sure what to expect.

Oh, and finally one more bad and one good that I should mention:

1:  The Thalasso spa wasn’t working for the whole trip and every few days I was assured it would be.  It was still in pieces when I got off.

2:  The GOOD THING:  Phil, the kind hotel manager, organised a better room for us, with a balcony.  That was very much appreciated.  

Edited by lahore

On 4/12/2019 at 5:16 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if, having learned from Quest, they don’t schedule a slightly longer dry dock for Journey.  It would seem sensible to do that.  There was obviously more work involved than they thought and Singapore is an efficient shipyard.  

Phil

They jolly well ought to learn from it.  If they don’t then they deserve a shocking reputation which would be well earned.  

lahore, you seem cursed.  If you ever cruise on Azamara again then let me know and I’ll avoid your trip;)  Seriously, I’m sorry you had this experience.  I can’t honestly say how long the refundable will take once you debark.  Back in December when I was given some for missing a port it was processed on the final day and in my bank account in the U.K. two days later.  YMMV of course.  

Phil

On 3/31/2019 at 6:47 AM, Riocca said:

I know it’s no consolation to those who are currently suffering with no aircon but all cruise lines seem to suffer from over optimist dry dock schedules. I can remember being on Grand Princess second cruise after a major refit, we were ok but the friends we were traveling with had to help finish their suite before they could unpack and the light bulbs weren’t found until the second day. In addition the nightclub was still under construction and only opened the penultimate day of the cruise. Again on P&O U.K. we were on a Christmas cruise which was after a dry dock where fire doors were activating randomly all the time due to a technical problem, we also had no entertainment as after a software upgrade none of the equipment worked.

I remember being on the Grand when workman were .

9 hours ago, lahore said:

Hi all

Remember me?  The person who nearly got bumped by Azamara last year and was given a 100% compensation?  It was a loooong thread so I know some of you regulars do remember.  Well guess what?  I was also on this cruise!  I think it’s actually me that’s the problem, not the dry docking. I am cursed when it comes to Azamara.  And clearly they don’t want my money. 🤣 (fine by me).

In all seriousness it was hideous, and that comes from someone who has lived in very hot countries (e.g., Malaysia, Singapore).  I slept on deck along with many others.  There was actually a fight near me with two men wrangling over a deck chair, the words used were AZamazing and not in a good way.  People’s tempers were really very frayed and many were quite unwell in other ways.  Having just arrived, being jet lagged and then faced with another two days with no sleep in horrid conditions meant that my immune system was shot to shreds and I promptly got a bronchial infection, so that even once the aircon was fixed I had a miserable first week.  Never again....and not because Azamara is bad once you get on board (the staff are incredible, including Bonny of course) but as a result of these two experiences I really don’t have any respect for their US-based company at all and I do not trust them.

Does anyone out there know how long it usually takes Azamara to process a refundable OBC?  Last time Ryzard organised it for me while I was onboard.  This time, as there are so many people, I’m not sure what to expect.

Oh, and finally one more bad and one good that I should mention:

1:  The Thalasso spa wasn’t working for the whole trip and every few days I was assured it would be.  It was still in pieces when I got off.

2:  The GOOD THING:  Phil, the kind hotel manager, organised a better room for us, with a balcony.  That was very much appreciated.  

You remind me of being on The Grand RT Fan Francisco to Hawaii.  Second day out a worker jumped overboard.  While at lunch one day after that a woman , from Cali. was telling everyone that the same thing happened on her cruise last year....we all looked at each other..and someone asked " does the Capt. know about you?"😉

12 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

lahore, you seem cursed.  If you ever cruise on Azamara again then let me know and I’ll avoid your trip;)  Seriously, I’m sorry you had this experience.  I can’t honestly say how long the refundable will take once you debark.  Back in December when I was given some for missing a port it was processed on the final day and in my bank account in the U.K. two days later.  YMMV of course.  

Phil

Hahaha!  That’s sad though, that we will most likely never meet Phil.  
And I just googled YMMV - so I learned something today too 🙂