Greenwich Cruise Port London

mrscrab

Does anyone know if building has commenced on this new cruise port about 8 miles down river from Central London. Silversea has several cruises booked to leave from here later this year. Due to it being a no- go last year we had to leave from Tilbury instead.

No, I believe it is seriously (permanently?) delayed because of planning objections from nearby residents.

One ship at a time can dock (maybe, anchor?) at the existing Greenwich pier (near the Cutty Sark) and the 'terminal' is a pop up tent - not sure, but I think that's how it goes.

We had to leave from Tilbury last September because Azamara gazumped us from Greenwich.

I'm doing the same cruise again this year, on the Whisper this time, and the itinerary still shows Greenwich. I must see if I can find out for sure from the Port of London website!

PS Even if they eventually build the new port, there will still only be a berth for one ship at a time but there will be actual terminal facilities.

Edited by jollyjones

59 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

I dont care if there is a tent, just dont want to go to Tilbury....

Could you kindly explain what's wrong with Tilbury (apart from inconvenient/costly transit from central London)?   Are the facilities okay?  I have never been there.   Thanks.

14 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Many thanks for the reference. I was wholly unaware of the many charms of Tilbury (apart from the cruise port): the museums, the theatre, the fine restaurants and charming wine bars, the inviting tea rooms, the thriving High Street, and the spas.  I was planning to spend several nights at a Park Lane hotel.  Instead, I will book a week at one of Tilbury's luxury hotels and enjoy the bespoke spa treatments available there.  One learns so much on this board.

3 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Wow Jeff, that was eye opening.

Sadly, yes.  My very first record-playing job as a mere child was in The Lord Stanley in Plaistow just  30 minutes away. Some of the crowd was from Tilbury as this  pub was seen as exotic compared to those in Tilbury.  As you can see , the pub wasn’t bothered with  natural light.  But when you see what was outside ....... 🙂

E8652088-D8D8-4D49-B582-1E88D2004879.jpeg

10 hours ago, brimary said:

None of the aforementioned alternatives compare with a Tower Bridge arrival and departure.Leave well alone SS!!

Problem with Tower Bridge is that only the little ladies can go under it. I’d much prefer it for embarkation, even to Greenwich, but the Whisper and up won’t fit!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Problem with Tower Bridge is that only the little ladies can go under it. I’d much prefer it for embarkation, even to Greenwich, but the Whisper and up won’t fit!

Only ever been on the Wind from Tower Bridge every year since 2011.Same again this year May June and August.Thanks for the info re the larger ladies of the SS fleet which I will avoid.

1 minute ago, brimary said:

Only ever been on the Wind from Tower Bridge every year since 2011.Same again this year May June and August.Thanks for the info re the larger ladies of the SS fleet which I will avoid.

Hope you like expedition cruising then.  After next summer the larger ladies will be your only choice for classic cruising.

And, IMO, you seem to be limiting yourself - I love the new Spirit, like the Muse, and am eagerly looking forward to trying the Moon. The Whisper I find a bit meh - neither the choices of the Spirit nor the intimacy of the Wind.

1 hour ago, jollyjones said:

Hope you like expedition cruising then.  After next summer the larger ladies will be your only choice for classic cruising.

And, IMO, you seem to be limiting yourself - I love the new Spirit, like the Muse, and am eagerly looking forward to trying the Moon. The Whisper I find a bit meh - neither the choices of the Spirit nor the intimacy of the Wind.

Appreciate what you say.We started cruising with SS on the Wind in 1999 when the only choices were Wind and Cloud.We subsequently tried the new large ships Shadow and Whisper when they joined the fleet and have no desire to move upwards in size in accordance with the new owners wishes.No desire to join the Expedition ships amidst snow and ice so it is looking like a reluctant retirement after 21 years of excellent cruising all over the world upon theSS small ships.However never say never if the perfect itinerary appeared on the Spirit to persuade us to try the larger ship in view of your favourable comments.Enjoy your cruising and look forward to your future reports.

Brimary, hope you change your mind, at least a little. Not all expedition cruises are among snow and ice. We did an expedition cruise in November 2017 on Explorer that would vie for the title of our best cruise ever. Guayaquil to Valparaiso, culinary cruise, with amazing tours including a flyover of the Nasca Lines. Don't write off the possibility of doing something like that on Cloud or Wind. It could be a really great trip.

We will eventually try one of the bigger ships. We also haven't been on any SS vessel larger than Cloud or Wind, but the time is getting closer. I think it will be even better than we expect. At this point we don't have anything booked past January 2020 (two Cloud expeditions between now and then) but that's more because we have been doing more non-cruise trips these past few years. The new dining choices on the big ships are really intriguing us. We too are on the lookout for an itinerary and time that fits. Maybe we'll meet you on board!

Thanks Jolly Jones and Jbalpny for your helpful responses .We did the Guayaquil and Valparaiso on a lengthy South American cruise with SS many years ago and like you we loved it.We are looking at 2020 onwards brochures to give us a special itinerary on the Spirit or even one of the newer larger ships as the variety of choice of restaurants is an attractive proposition that may persuade us upscale in size of SS ship.Yes JP hope we do meet up on a special itinerary cruise in the future and in the meantime hope you both enjoy your future SS cruises.