Uber to Galveston

must2cruz

We will arrive at Houston Hobby at 5pm on Tuesday Oct 8.  We plan to take an Uber to our motel, Best Western Plus.  Any idea on the cost and  how long it will take us to get there?  Will there be issues since it is at rush hour?  We want to be in Galveston the eve before our cruise.  Plan to walk along the shore, weather permitting, on the day of our cruise before going to the Port. Any info will be appreciated.  Thank you in advance. 

It should be fine as long as you don't plan to take an Uber/Lyft to or from the actual cruise terminal. The Galveston Police Department has cracked down on the Port of Galveston for allowing rideshare companies to enter the port without paying the same tolls as everyone else. They are ticketing drivers and making arrests for repeat offenders.

Uber/Lyft has run wild for the past two years in Texas but it's beginning to catch up to them.

1 hour ago, MoCowBell said:

It should be fine as long as you don't plan to take an Uber/Lyft to or from the actual cruise terminal. The Galveston Police Department has cracked down on the Port of Galveston for allowing rideshare companies to enter the port without paying the same tolls as everyone else. They are ticketing drivers and making arrests for repeat offenders.

Uber/Lyft has run wild for the past two years in Texas but it's beginning to catch up to them.

I believe that is old "news".  The State Legislature in 2017 preempted local authority ftom banning ride share companies.  Uber is readily available in Galveston.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Galveston Cruiser said:

I believe that is old "news".  The State Legislature in 2017 preempted local authority ftom banning ride share companies.  Uber is readily available in Galveston.

It's new actually. The Port is a government entity and charges access tolls to everyone but the rideshare companies. Today the taxi inspector was literally standing in the middle of the road stopping rideshare drivers who are not properly permitted and paying the proper tolls.

1 hour ago, MoCowBell said:

It's new actually. The Port is a government entity and charges access tolls to everyone but the rideshare companies. Today the taxi inspector was literally standing in the middle of the road stopping rideshare drivers who are not properly permitted and paying the proper tolls.

Know all about the Port as very much involved with the City. of which the Port is an entity.  We were at the Port twice today and did not notice anyone being stopped.

Will check with the powers that be for an answer

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

2 hours ago, MoCowBell said:

On one hand you say "charges access tolls to everyone but the rideshare companies". 

On other hand you say  "who are not properly permitted and paying the proper tolls".

Are you saying the port is not enforcing the law until today ? 

How are the Rideshare's charged ?

1 hour ago, ssb said:

On one hand you say "charges access tolls to everyone but the rideshare companies". 

On other hand you say  "who are not properly permitted and paying the proper tolls".

Are you saying the port is not enforcing the law until today ? 

How are the Rideshare's charged ?

I don't know yet if they have begun charging these drivers but I do know GPD has informed them they must.

That is correct, rideshares have not been paying tolls at all. The rides are already subsidized by investor dollars and on top of that they don't even pay the same tolls as everyone else.

Curious to hear what you found out Galveston Cruiser? Uber/Lyft is my current plan Sun 4/14 for a ride back to Houston Hobby when we get off Liberty of the Seas. If there are issues with rideshare drivers accessing the port it might make that a bad plan! Are rideshare car usually readily available on Sunday departure times? I have read a few threads that sounded like it wasn't a problem. Any info appreciated

We need to get to Galveston the eve before our cruise. Spending a little time on the island before getting on the ship on our departure date. From what I see RCI only offers transportation to the port on the departure date.  As far as returning to Houston Hobby it seems cheaper and easier to Uber it back. The round trip price for RCI is more expensive.   If I’m missing something I’m open to information and ideas.  Tks,