Silversea vs Seabourne for a Baltic cruise?

acruisefan

We have been very happy on Windstar for our past cruises and have come to love the small ships after years of family and friends cruises on the big ships with kids. The Windstar yachts are showing their age and going in for major renovation and expansion starting in November so I'm not so thrilled with being on one them that close to dry dock. 

We are thinking of doing something different this year though and trying Seabourn or Silversea for a 7 day Baltic cruise in July. I looked at Crystal Cruises as well but they were longer, more expensive and had a few stops that I did not care about. Seabourn has a sale right now including airfare, and on board credit that makes it pretty attractive.

Cost is close to the same for these, even factoring in purchasing my own airfare for Seabourn. Silverseas does not have a stop in Helenski and Seabourn does. Will I miss a lot by not stopping there? I did notice that Seabourn charges for 2 of their restaurants, which I have to say is annoying. It does seem that Silversea is a bit more formal. We have become very used to the casual ambiance of Windstar and are happy to not have to drag the more formal wear on vacation, but we can manage it as it looks like we need it on both Silversea and Seabourn. 

Any thoughts on which you would choose and why?

14 hours ago, acruisefan said:

Silverseas does not have a stop in Helenski and Seabourn does. Will I miss a lot by not stopping there? I did notice that Seabourn charges for 2 of their restaurants, which I have to say is annoying. It does seem that Silversea is a bit more formal.  Any thoughts on which you would choose and why?

From our experience in 2008 doing an 11-day Crystal cruise in the Baltics, we had a stop in Helsinki and enjoyed that port stop.  BUT, I would not consider Helsinki to be a make-or-break part of the deal.  Nice, but not 100% needed to be included.  For the Baltics, the superstar is Russia!!  As I understand, both cruises include three days in St. Petersburg.  Right?  That is important as on one of those three days in Russia, you can do a day-trip to Moscow.  Seeing BOTH of these key Russian cities is very important and very much worth it.  Then, the next two big "stars" are Copenhagen and Stockholm.  Both are very historic, charming, interesting, having great architecture, etc., etc. Our experience is that Silversea is not as "formal" as it has been.  Things are loosening.  On a seven-day cruise, they generally only have one formal night.  And for that evening, you do the Italian speciality dining place.  No need to pack a suit or tux!!  

Overall, the Baltics and Russia are super wonderful.  Don't miss it!!  Let us know an other questions.  Our first cruise in 2008 was with Seabourn.  I am sure you will enjoy either of these top cruise lines.  The Baltics are very port-intense.  The ship is of importance, but, the highest importance is where you will be visiting and experiencing.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 234,528 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks for your responses! The 2 ships are the Ovation on Seabourn and Silver Spirit, both 600 passenger ships. I’ve gotten so used to the intimacy of 145-300 person ships on Windstar that the size of these ships seems so big! 

I made an error on my 1st post - I know that it’s Silversea that has an upcharge for 2 of the restaurants, just switched the names. 

I am am also putting Crystal 10 day cruise back in the mix although it’s a bigger ship and the timing is not ideal for us. 

Thanks for the tip on visiting Moscow. I was debating about that but it we will definitely do that excursion! 

Hi there....both cruise lines are pretty similar.  Both ultraluxury and both do a great job.  We have done many on both lines, although right now we are taking a break and trying a few new things.  Ovation is a brand new ship and gorgeous...Ive done Encore which is its sister ship. The crew is absolutely amazing and I would say that as amazing as Silversea’s crews are....I feel like Seabourn edges them out a bit in that area.  Seabourn doesnt have butlers...the suite attendant takes care of everything which is fine by me...I definitely don’t miss the butlers.  Silversea does upchage for LaDame...but its such a unique dining experience... that it is well worth the money.   Silversea has better pool decks ....they are larger and go down the side of the ship as well.  Seabourn’s pool deck is smaller and more confining if you will...however, if you are doing a port intensive Baltic trip, I doubt you will be lounging by the pool anyway.  At the end of the day, you will love both....I personally love Helsinki...and think its worth a stop.  We are doing the Baltic’s next year;however, we have decided to do Oceania because they also stop in Riga, Latvia and Klaipeda, Lithuania...in addition to the regulars all the other lines do....only a couple cruise lines go to Latvia and LIthuania, so thats why I chose Oceania for our Baltic trip...Happy Cruising!