Any hints for seat selection / transfers

vanessa5076

Hi All

We have a cruise booked for early 2020 and are just arranging flights.  The agent has suggested Singapore Air for the various flights and I wondered whether anyone had any tips for seat selection or how much extra legroom seats might be?  My husband is over 6 feet so we really need good legroom.  

We are also flying direct out but unfortunately cannot do the same on the return trip and have to change at Paris.  We've never had to change flights before so any advice would be great!

Thanks

To get an idea on prices, do some test bookings for the portion of the schedule that is out. You should be able to test book through March 1, 2020 at this point.

Seat selection is a bit of personal preference and type of airplane. You might want, or not want, window seats. You probably want to be away from galleys and restrooms.

For your connection, allow enough time for any Immigration formalities. Paris is known as a tough airport to connect in.

You might want to give more specifics...airports and dates, for your anticipated flights.

Afraid I can't provide knowledge on SQ's policies for what I assume is economy or premium economy. In premium cabins on SQ I've had free reign to pick whatever seats are available, no restrictions there.

Without providing more information on your airlines, class of travel etc. intelligent responses on your Paris transit are going to be lacking rather.

Hi

I have tried to do a test booking but unfortunately cannot get through to seat selection without payment.

We are flying Manchester to Singapore (direct) then Singapore to Sydney and then Singapore to Manchester (via CDG)

We are having to fly economy as premium simply adds too much to the overall cost.

Thanks

You probably aren't actually on Singapore from Paris to Manchester, but an affiliated airline.   Usually it will say "Singapore 1422 operated by <insert Star Alliance airline> .  

Economy is economy is economy to me, regardless of airline.  If you want that little bit of extra room, you're going to have to try for an exit aisle.  BUT be sure that the seat does recline - some exit rows do limited recline.

You can go to some of the seating chart websites, like SeatGuru, to see what seats are good and bad. 

Just my $.02. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

You probably aren't actually on Singapore from Paris to Manchester, but an affiliated airline.   Usually it will say "Singapore 1422 operated by <insert Star Alliance airline> .  

Economy is economy is economy to me, regardless of airline.  If you want that little bit of extra room, you're going to have to try for an exit aisle.  BUT be sure that the seat does recline - some exit rows do limited recline.

You can go to some of the seating chart websites, like SeatGuru, to see what seats are good and bad. 

Just my $.02. 

CDG-MAN is operated by Air France, easyJet, and Flybe. While none of these are Star Alliance, it appears Singapore generally puts people on Flybe so I would go with that being the operating carrier, but with an SQ flight number. If this is the case for OP, should be a fairly seemless.

I have just been flying SQ and did pay for extra legroom (emergency exit) Paid SGD 120 from CPH to SIN (12 hours flight) and SGD 80 from SIN to DPS (2.5 hours flight). 

No problem with recline of my seats - normally it’s the seat before the exit having problem with recline and not the actipual Exit row (except two exit rows) - there might not be window at the exit row - have a look at SeatGuru.

• 2 weeks later...

You can also check out the site:  seatguru.com.    It lets you put in your flight info and will come up with the seat map.  Sometimes several variations of the same plane so make sure correct one.

It will show you the good and the bad and also info from people that have been in the seats.

10 hours ago, cheeseclan said:

You can also check out the site:  seatguru.com.    It lets you put in your flight info and will come up with the seat map.  Sometimes several variations of the same plane so make sure correct one.

It will show you the good and the bad and also info from people that have been in the seats.

That site is fine, if you ignore all its faults.

For example, if you put in your flight information, it will come up with a seat map. This may or may not be the seat map for your flight. I gave this a test on BA's flights from Heathrow to JFK one day next week. BA operates 7 flights that day between those airports. seatguru got only two seat maps correct.

seatguru's version listings can also be woefully out of date (or sometimes plain wrong). It lists one configuration of BA's 747 which has been out of the fleet for about 3 years now. The 777 listings are even worse: seatguru only lists 5, of which at least 2 seem to be wrong, when there are actually 8.

And some of the seatguru warnings are also just plain wrong. For example, it used to put a warning for every seat in every last row of World Traveller Plus (premium economy) that there might be limited recline because it's the last row. seatguru was just guessing when it said this: in the entire fleet, no WT+ seat has limited recline.

But if you ignore all of this, seatguru's probably just fine.