Dressing for a (Caribbean) sea day

angiemom

What do you wear on a sea day?  Do you change for breakfast, lunch, dinner & late night at the shows?  If love to have examples of how you dress for a sea day (not including bathing suit time).  Traveling on Celebrity if that makes a difference   Thanks!

Sea days are so relaxing. I begin with a pair of shorts and a cute t shirt for coffee on the Serenity deck. Sometimes we bring a second cup back to our balcony. After that, I put on fun workout clothes and hit the gym. Then, after that, we find chairs on Serenity, change into swimwear and I love to wear cute coverups. We grab fruit and such from Lido and relax on deck for a while.

Later, after a shower, I’ll change into a sundress or caftan for walking around the ship. Back into swim wear for visit to the thermal suites in late afternoon. I always wear dresses to dinner. In the late evening I might wear jeans and a dressy top with leopard flats. I carry a pashmina in the evening.

• Thanks 1

My favorite sea day outfit in hot weather is a silk jumpsuit and flat shoes, or rayon palazzo pants and jersey.  I don't do pool or gym, so I wear that all day for meals, walking the promenade deck, etc.  I always wear a dress and heels in the evening, which includes pre-dinner music and/or drinks, dinner, dancing, show.

If you get 100 replies, you'll probably see 100 variations!

Inside spaces have AC, so I sometimes want to have my arms covered.

• Like 1

I spend pretty much the entire day in a swimsuit and coverup.  I buy a new sundress each cruise and bring them for coverups.  If for some reason we don't hang out at the pool I will wear capris and a tank top.

• Like 1

I wear exactly what I wear at home on a hot Summer day - T-shirt and shorts.  The T-shirt I wear is dependent on my mood or level of rebelliousness; plain or tank, maybe one supporting my favorite rescue dogs, or my Smokey Bear "Resist" shirt, or my newest one "Trump Skis In Jeans" (a skier joke - no self-respecting person skis in jeans).  If I go out to the pool, I just pull on a pair of my running shorts over the bottoms - I wear tankinis, so no need to a top.   I'm not a sandals person (not athletic nor cutsie ones), so I've got on my regular running shoes or my trail runners (depending on what activity I'm doing on shore).  Oh yes, and a baseball hat so my head does not fry.  At night, I'll just throw on a pair of pants and a shirt  or one of my Athleta skirts and a shirt.    

This has done me well for years and years.  

Edited by slidergirl

Sea days are very casual.  I am either in a bathing suit and cover up or top (t shirt)…...pullover top/shorts or capris...…and a pair of sandals.   Do I change clothes? Yes, I put on different clothes to go to dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

My go-to outfits: Daytime: swim suit under a flowy black jersey sundress (or jersey pencil skirt and tank top) and sandals - essentially a cover-up but still looks like a proper outfit. Evening: loose soft drawstring pants + crisp t-shirt or  blouse + leather jacket if it's cool + ballet flats or chunky heel sandals (if calm waters).

• Like 1

On 4/1/2019 at 12:24 PM, c-boy said:

I'm a musician ..so 

Image result for dragon fly button front shirt

Image result for dragon fly button front shirt

Image result for dragon fly gibson

with Dockers and Sperry boat shoes. 

Image result for robert graham guitar

this with a tux on formal nights  ..

Image result for tuxedo with guitar bow tie

this for casual evenings 

These are cool! I'm getting a few similar items for my son except the prints are lobsters and jellyfish, his choice lol

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

angiemom, perhaps I am reading between the lines here, but are you nervous about traveling on Celebrity? Is it your first time on this line? As mentioned, sea days are casual and Celebrity is no exception. You will see all manner of dress on board, trust me. Wear what makes you comfortable but just know that you cannot wear bathing suits/cover ups in the dining venues. Other than that, shorts, skirts, sundresses, and capris are the name of the game in the Caribbean. Yes I change for dinner because it feels good to freshen up. 😊

Have fun!

On 4/3/2019 at 10:47 AM, slidergirl said:

T-shirt and shorts.

Oh, thank goodness, you showed up here 🙂  Changing clothes four or five times a day?!?!?!?  No way.  Probably what I wear for breakfast is what I'll be wearing all day.  Depending on the weather that's either shorts or long pants.   I don't care much for jeans.  I also don't think I have any "cute" tops.  Then late afternoon shower and change for dinner.  Probably on this next cruise, S. America in Dec., long cotton skirts and tops.  I'm pretty sure I can get by with two pairs of shoes...but I'm feeling the urge for another pair of Rothys!  Oh, and when we're in our cabin we change into what we euphemistically call "lounge wear."  Something that we don't wear out due to age or whatever.  And it keeps the public clothes better longer.

Must admit that I lurk but this was something I felt I couldn't pass-by.  Do you remember how many changes of clothing you have noticed on your fellow passengers in the past?  Didn't think so....  Why worry?  Do what you want. If you feel better about taking a whole lot of stuff, do it.  But it's certainly not warranted & rest assured that no one will care if you change several times a day.  (Have you ever wondered that about anyone?)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clo said:

Oh, thank goodness, you showed up here 🙂  Changing clothes four or five times a day?!?!?!?  No way.  Probably what I wear for breakfast is what I'll be wearing all day.  Depending on the weather that's either shorts or long pants.   I don't care much for jeans.  I also don't think I have any "cute" tops.  Then late afternoon shower and change for dinner.  Probably on this next cruise, S. America in Dec., long cotton skirts and tops.  I'm pretty sure I can get by with two pairs of shoes...but I'm feeling the urge for another pair of Rothys!  Oh, and when we're in our cabin we change into what we euphemistically call "lounge wear."  Something that we don't wear out due to age or whatever.  And it keeps the public clothes better longer.

Most of my shirts are multipurpose - under a jacket/blazer for work, and with jeans or shorts for fun.  Makes it easy to pack, since there are no "cruise-specific" clothes to worry about.  Use my money that could be spent on clothes on other things. (like the mortgage).  

My thing - What the dickens is a "sundress"???  I swear, I've never been a store that has had a rack with a sign that says "sundresses."   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Most of my shirts are multipurpose - under a jacket/blazer for work, and with jeans or shorts for fun.  Makes it easy to pack, since there are no "cruise-specific" clothes to worry about.  Use my money that could be spent on clothes on other things. (like the mortgage).  

My thing - What the dickens is a "sundress"???  I swear, I've never been a store that has had a rack with a sign that says "sundresses."   

Growing up we used the term sun dress.  We also used Spring Coat.  Don't see Spring Coats any more. 

Sun dress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundress

or from Marriam  Webster

Definition of sundress: a dress with an abbreviated bodice usually exposing the shoulders, arms, and back

Edited by geocruiser
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, geocruiser said:

Growing up we used the term sun dress.  We also used Spring Coat.  Don't see Spring Coats any more. 

Sun dress

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sundress

or from Marriam  Webster

Definition of sundress: a dress with an abbreviated bodice usually exposing the shoulders, arms, and back

Thanks.  Never owned one, I guess.  Closest I would say is a long tank dress I bought last year to wear (with my jeans jacket) to the Andrea Bocelli concert.   What just sprung into my mind - that definition of sundress also defines a whole lot of wedding dresses 😉

Celebrity cruiser here....shorts, t-shirts, swimsuit and coverup during the day.  We change for dinner....business casual or somewhat evening chic (my Old Navy little black dress works!).  I keep my packing light these days.  I just refuse to stress out about packing any longer before, when I'm on or after the cruise and yes, I did all three.

18 hours ago, nowornever said:

Must admit that I lurk but this was something I felt I couldn't pass-by.  Do you remember how many changes of clothing you have noticed on your fellow passengers in the past?  Didn't think so....  Why worry?  Do what you want. If you feel better about taking a whole lot of stuff, do it.  But it's certainly not warranted & rest assured that no one will care if you change several times a day.  (Have you ever wondered that about anyone?)

I made a similar reply a while back.  Along the lines of when I realized that I couldn't tell you what a co-worker had worn the day before....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Never owned one, I guess.

A quick google showed big floral prints, sleeveless or short sleeve and v-neck.  I'm seriously into solid colors.

I wear shorts to breakfast, then I'm in a swimsuit until it's time to dress for dinner.  Those shorts will work for many breakfasts...considering they're being worn for only about 1 hour.

No one "dresses up" on the ship, except perhaps on "formal" nights, and that's becoming less common.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

then I'm in a swimsuit

I always chuckle a teeny bit when I see comments like this.  We used to own an apt. in Rio, two blocks from the beach in Copacabana.  We finally stopped even carrying swimsuits with us.  We would go TO the beach but not get ON the beach.  We both hate the sun and I REALLY hate the heat.  So we would sit under an umbrella at one of kiosks BY the beach and have food and drinks.  Different strokes FOR SURE.

• Like 1

Clo, I am not a big swimsuit gal but I do pack 1 or 2...….but I definitely agree with your sentiment,

Different strokes for sure:classic_biggrin:...….what works for one person? Someone else may think it is outrageous!

• Like 1