Dressing for a (Caribbean) sea day

angiemom

16 hours ago, clo said:

I always chuckle a teeny bit when I see comments like this.  We used to own an apt. in Rio, two blocks from the beach in Copacabana.  We finally stopped even carrying swimsuits with us.  We would go TO the beach but not get ON the beach.  We both hate the sun and I REALLY hate the heat.  So we would sit under an umbrella at one of kiosks BY the beach and have food and drinks.  Different strokes FOR SURE.

Have to laugh at this because it brought back memories.  In college, 4 friends (all guys, including my boyfriend) and I rented a house 4 houses from Venice Beach in LA (we all went to UCLA).  So close to the beach, yet we rarely set foot on the beach.  Even during Summer break.  We'd hit some favorite restaurants on the beach, but didn't sit on the beach or go in the ocean...

Yesterday, I wore one of my "vacation" outfits to work - all I did was put on a jacket over my tank top.  Outside of the jacket, I actually wore what I had on when I went to Puerto Rico - Athleta tank top, Athleta skirt, Jambu Mary janes. I can toss that skirt on over my bathing suit bottoms or change from my hiking shorts/pants and be suitably dressed to go into a restaurant anywhere.  I'll put it in my bag when I am going out for a day - never know when I need it!  It's a great travel skirt, but I use it for everyday life.  

On 4/1/2019 at 7:26 AM, angiemom said:

What do you wear on a sea day?  Do you change for breakfast, lunch, dinner & late night at the shows?  If love to have examples of how you dress for a sea day (not including bathing suit time).  Traveling on Celebrity if that makes a difference   Thanks!

Haven't (yet) been to Caribbean but have sailed through the PC and up the Mexican Riviera -- favorite onboard outfit was linen culottes and gauze blouson top. DH wears the same thing as a weekend at home: hi-tech nylon pants and shirt (button up kind, with the roll-up sleeve tab). Not bathing suit people...

With the So.Pacific coming up next year and the Caribbean in 2021, and warmer summers here and in Utah, I am getting and liking Dry-Tek capris and long-sleeved SPF/UPF wicking tops. Some of the shirts are saying "keep you cooler than no shirt at all" (well the men's say that!). 

ETA: when we go to "the beach" (Newport Beach) here in OC, we walk on the boardwalk! Only when we have out-of-town guests do we take them to the pier at Huntington Beach and walk on the sand!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

So close to the beach, yet we rarely set foot on the beach.  Even during Summer break.

Before we figured this out, we watched the locals who would carry a small plastic bucket.  When they were ready to leave the beach, they'd fill the bucket with ocean water and once out of the sand they'd wash it off with the water.  We hate sand also 🙂

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2019 at 1:41 PM, crystalspin said:

Haven't (yet) been to Caribbean but have sailed through the PC and up the Mexican Riviera -- favorite onboard outfit was linen culottes and gauze blouson top. DH wears the same thing as a weekend at home: hi-tech nylon pants and shirt (button up kind, with the roll-up sleeve tab). Not bathing suit people...

With the So.Pacific coming up next year and the Caribbean in 2021, and warmer summers here and in Utah, I am getting and liking Dry-Tek capris and long-sleeved SPF/UPF wicking tops. Some of the shirts are saying "keep you cooler than no shirt at all" (well the men's say that!). 

ETA: when we go to "the beach" (Newport Beach) here in OC, we walk on the boardwalk! Only when we have out-of-town guests do we take them to the pier at Huntington Beach and walk on the sand!

don't go to the Peninsula.  Take your friends up to Orange St.  Sure, no tourist shops or restaurants, but a nice beach.  Or, take them down to Crystal Cove - a glimpse of what the area USED to be before it became The OC.  

Hmm.  Utah.  We're hotter here so far this year than usual.   Drive up to Park City to the Tanger Outlets and visit the Columbia outlet to see if there's something that piques your fancy.   My travel long sleeve shirts are all from Ex-Officio.  Bought some and wore them on my Egypt/Jordan trip back in 2009 - worked great in those 109 degree temps while exploring the Valley of the Kings!  And, they are all still going strong.   My others are some very lightweight T-shirts from The North Face and Prana - tissue burnout type.   I just bought a Woolx T-shirt to see how it works - supposedly "no stink" and wearable or days.  I've got a camping trip coming up, so I'm going to test it out.  

• Like 1

Funny I am trying to figure out what to bring on our upcoming trip...sea days bathing suit and a dress cover up which will take me from breakfast through dinner and since it simply looks like a dress never an issue wherever I go. 

Packing into an itty bitty bag means taking out and taking out and more taking out very different from my first cruise...two large bags for 5 days😎

On 8/2/2019 at 8:19 AM, tobyt said:

Funny I am trying to figure out what to bring on our upcoming trip...sea days bathing suit and a dress cover up which will take me from breakfast through dinner and since it simply looks like a dress never an issue wherever I go. 

Packing into an itty bitty bag means taking out and taking out and more taking out very different from my first cruise...two large bags for 5 days😎

Curious why you use an "itty bitty bag."

I had mentioned I bought a Woolx V-neck T-shirt and was waiting to try it out. Well, it was GREAT.  I wore it to work the other day. Our Front Desk is always warm (under those nasty can lights and no air circulation due to the setup of the Front Desk), and by 9pm we are sweating bullets.  Worse in the Summer.  I wore the Woolx under my linen jacket - I didn't feel like I was sweating and at the end of the night, it didn't stink.  Last night, I wore the same jacket with a J Jill cotton tank top - I was fanning myself and I WAS sweating.  So, first try with the Woolx was a good one.  If this one turns to work out with longer use, I will probably go back to that website an buy a long sleeve version.  100% wool.  Can be used as the primary shirt or, as it gets cooler, a layering piece or even a base layer.   

Always looking for new options that I can multipurpose.

Clo - I bet the "itty bitty bag" is a standard 22" carry on.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I had mentioned I bought a Woolx V-neck T-shirt and was waiting to try it out. Well, it was GREAT.  I wore it to work the other day. Our Front Desk is always warm (under those nasty can lights and no air circulation due to the setup of the Front Desk), and by 9pm we are sweating bullets.  Worse in the Summer.  I wore the Woolx under my linen jacket - I didn't feel like I was sweating and at the end of the night, it didn't stink.  Last night, I wore the same jacket with a J Jill cotton tank top - I was fanning myself and I WAS sweating.  So, first try with the Woolx was a good one.  If this one turns to work out with longer use, I will probably go back to that website an buy a long sleeve version.  100% wool.  Can be used as the primary shirt or, as it gets cooler, a layering piece or even a base layer.   

Always looking for new options that I can multipurpose.

Clo - I bet the "itty bitty bag" is a standard 22" carry on.

A quick update on the Woolx T-shirt:  After sweating all night with the tank top under the jacket, I went back last night to the Woolx shirt and jacket.  Again, I didn't feel like I was sweating, I was rather comfortable.  And, again, it didn't stink.  The care instructions for the shirt says to not wash it frequently, as that will affect Merino wool.  Just hang and let it air out.  I'll let it hang today and wear it again tomorrow for a full test.  I've got to say, I'm impressed so far.  I would tell everyone to go to the website and take a look.  They have much more than just the shirts and have things in different weights (my T-shirt is one of the lightweight ones).  I'm going to get one of the long sleeved ones, too - the Coral color looks nice. 

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

My thought was to start the day in either shorts or a skort and a T shirt, then move into a bathingsuit with a coverup (t-shirt dress type thing) and then after showering I would put on either a maxi dress or Sundress.  Comfort is key but I also think that if we go to dinner, a bar or a show I don't want to look like I just got out of the pool haha. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

For Sea Days, I'll generally wear sundresses like these:

image.png.f7cf20f4b5bbad74327c74a550efabd0.png

image.png.519ba2e2cddc7cfc046b644e732c7dd1.png

image.png.30933a9de7e097565a99b033aa08dcda.png

Or, if I'm feeling more casual, a peasant skirt with a fitted top, something like this:

image.png.7df6c8e824c690df560a283ef1a5af39.png

Really, really cute!

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2019 at 3:41 PM, crystalspin said:

im a big fan of performance long sleeves (spf tops) and if i could suggest checking out SA fishing co im a huge fan of everything they offer but in relation to your comment theses are hands down my favorite long sleeve tops that are light weight and wicking for warmer weather.. also to be noted in their sale section they have where you can get for like $12 a mystery one, and i have yet to receive one that didn't become my new favorite, defiantly worth checking out if your in the market for a new one, i can get you a pic of one of mine if you'd like aswell 🙂   

to answer the OP, keeping in mind i am not amungst most normal guys lol; on a typical sea day, ill start in board shorts and a Tee or tank, that will cover breakfast, day by the pool (typically just lay out not swim) then change to like golf shorts and the same tee for afternoon activities, dinner attire will always be pants and a short sleeve button up (somthing modern or fun, not your grandpas old bowling shirt) unless its a formal night then thats a whole different story 😄 but that dinner outfit will also be my evening show/event outfit unless its super hot might jump back into the golf shorts 

23 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

For Sea Days, I'll generally wear sundresses like these:

image.png.f7cf20f4b5bbad74327c74a550efabd0.png

image.png.519ba2e2cddc7cfc046b644e732c7dd1.png

image.png.30933a9de7e097565a99b033aa08dcda.png

Or, if I'm feeling more casual, a peasant skirt with a fitted top, something like this:

image.png.7df6c8e824c690df560a283ef1a5af39.png

All cute, but I really like the last two.  The maxi skirt with fitted top is my typical daily sea-day wear, and the blue flower dress I just ❤️, so romantic.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

All cute, but I really like the last two.  The maxi skirt with fitted top is my typical daily sea-day wear, and the blue flower dress I just ❤️, so romantic.

Thanks!  I'm really into the 1950s - early 60s fitted bodice/circle skirt belted sundresses and cocktail dresses.  I just love the classic, flattering, feminine lines of them.  I even wear crinolines with them, to get the fabulous full skirt effect.:classic_smile:

I forgot to add in my previous post, to fully answer the OP: these are what I wear during the day.  I change for dinner, into a more evening-appropriate dress, then I stay in that dress for all evening shows, entertainment, etc.

I don't use the ship's pools or hot tubs, so I won't be seen wearing a swimsuit onboard.  And I never wear flip-flops.  During the day, I'll be wearing sandals or wedges.  In the evening:  strappy heels, pumps, or dressy wedges.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, EDiamond22 said:

im a big fan of performance long sleeves (spf tops) and if i could suggest checking out SA fishing co im a huge fan of everything they offer but in relation to your comment theses are hands down my favorite long sleeve tops that are light weight and wicking for warmer weather.. also to be noted in their sale section they have where you can get for like $12 a mystery one, and i have yet to receive one that didn't become my new favorite, 

Thanks for the tip! Will check out SA Fishing Co.

Have figured out you are not the one in the long dress in your thumbnail! Still adorable. 

DH has come over to the ExOfficio type vented button-up shirt as his standard (weekend/vacation) top. I bought one Tropical Fisherman knit top, one of the ones that said cooler than no shirt. He said it was "OK". I'm fine with him in the ExO's, I just don't want to miss newer technology of fabrics that could keep him even more comfortable. 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Thanks!  I'm really into the 1950s - early 60s fitted bodice/circle skirt belted sundresses and cocktail dresses.  I just love the classic, flattering, feminine lines of them.  I even wear crinolines with them, to get the fabulous full skirt effect.:classic_smile:

I forgot to add in my previous post, to fully answer the OP: these are what I wear during the day.  I change for dinner, into a more evening-appropriate dress, then I stay in that dress for all evening shows, entertainment, etc.

I don't use the ship's pools or hot tubs, so I won't be seen wearing a swimsuit onboard.  And I never wear flip-flops.  During the day, I'll be wearing sandals or wedges.  In the evening:  strappy heels, pumps, or dressy wedges.

Waaaay too formal for me for a sea day (I'm a T-shirt and shorts girl), but I can understand  how you like them.   I have a girlfriend who loves to dress retro; when she comes to visit me, we look like Frick and Frack when we go out!!!

Do you watch the Marvelous Mrs. Maizel?   You should!!!  You could get some good ideas for vacation wear - watch the season where they spend the summer at the Summer Hotel in the Catskills!!!  

57 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Waaaay too formal for me for a sea day (I'm a T-shirt and shorts girl), but I can understand  how you like them.   I have a girlfriend who loves to dress retro; when she comes to visit me, we look like Frick and Frack when we go out!!!

Do you watch the Marvelous Mrs. Maizel?   You should!!!  You could get some good ideas for vacation wear - watch the season where they spend the summer at the Summer Hotel in the Catskills!!!  

I LOVE that show (new season comes out tomorrow!)!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE her wardrobe!  But I could never fit into it - she's like a size zero.😮  And I'm so so not.:classic_blush:  I don't like the way my legs look in shorts so I don't ever wear them except for gardening in my back yard.  I sometimes wear capris, and will pack one pair for each cruise, but no shorts.  Other than the retro-style dresses, all my sundresses and skirt ensembles are very comfortable and easy to wear.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2019 at 2:45 PM, ShakyBeef said:

I LOVE that show (new season comes out tomorrow!)!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE her wardrobe!  But I could never fit into it - she's like a size zero.😮  And I'm so so not.:classic_blush:  I don't like the way my legs look in shorts so I don't ever wear them except for gardening in my back yard.  I sometimes wear capris, and will pack one pair for each cruise, but no shorts.  Other than the retro-style dresses, all my sundresses and skirt ensembles are very comfortable and easy to wear.

Already started watching the new season!    

I don't do capris - I think they look hideous on me (long torso, short legs).  Shorts look better on me.  If I'm thinking hanging out  by the pool, it's easy to just put my suit underneath the T-shirt and shorts. Sometimes, the T-shirt is actually a rash guard, so I'll keep it on.

• 1 month later...