Helmet Dive

slyster

We are considering doing a helmet dive excursion.  I saw a video from around 9 years ago of an actual helmet dive walk and it looks very interesting.  here's what I'm wondering.  My wife and I are close to 50 years old.  I'm more active than she is.  She does have a little back pain, but it doesn't stop her from every day activities.  Would this excursion be too strenuous?  From the video it looks like you walk on a platform and can hold on to the railing on the walk.

I guess the reason why I'm asking is when I looked at the cruise line's description it says it is a strenuous activity (though it doesn't appear that way on the video)

Guests with cardiac conditions, asthma, diabetes, epilepsy, pre-existing neck, back, knee or shoulder injuries, other heart or respiratory conditions or any other medical condition must take particular caution when selecting a tour with snorkeling/swimming elements, since such water activities could be subject to adverse sea conditions such as high winds, waves and sea current.

Interesting enough the description on the De Palm website only says:  If you have one of the following conditions, a doctor's letter is required for participation: pregnancy, recent surgery, high blood pressure, epilepsy, seizures and asthma.

We don't have any of those issues LOL  Thanks in advance for your feedback. 

• 3 weeks later...

We did this about 10 years ago. From what I remember, I didn't feel any stress on my back. The helmet rests on your shoulders, but I don't recall it feeling heavy. I would remember if it bothered my shoulders because I had several shoulder surgeries a few years prior. It is a very easy walk, and you can hold onto the rail. We really enjoyed it.

We just dd the Sea Trek in St Maarten last week.  My husband and I are in our 50s.  I am a non swimmer so I was a little apprehensive at first.  It was one of the best excursions ever.  The helmet does not feel heavy in the water. My husband has a bad back and did not have any problems with it.  At the bottom of the ladder, you have a "trail" to walk on with railings on each side. It was an amazing adventure.   I haven't done the one in Aruba, but I am guessing it is very close to the same thing.  And I highly recommend it.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm over 50 and have done it. It is not strenuous AT ALL and TONS OF FUN!!! The reason they probably list those conditions is that they don't want to be held responsible if anything happened and the only thing about the SeaTrek is the helmets are around 70 pounds OUT OF WATER. So, you walk down this platform and once your head gets to the water, they put the helmet on you and you go down so no weight under water. 

It's an amazing tour and we snorkel and dive every cruise and I REALLY enjoyed it despite thinking that it might feel too cheezy to us after being avid snorkelers and diving. But I want to do it EVERYWHERE we go now. LOL

HERE IS A LINK to my pictures that were taken that day. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:03 PM, mitsugirly said:

I'm over 50 and have done it. It is not strenuous AT ALL and TONS OF FUN!!! The reason they probably list those conditions is that they don't want to be held responsible if anything happened and the only thing about the SeaTrek is the helmets are around 70 pounds OUT OF WATER. So, you walk down this platform and once your head gets to the water, they put the helmet on you and you go down so no weight under water. 

It's an amazing tour and we snorkel and dive every cruise and I REALLY enjoyed it despite thinking that it might feel too cheezy to us after being avid snorkelers and diving. But I want to do it EVERYWHERE we go now. LOL

HERE IS A LINK to my pictures that were taken that day. 

oh my gosh, i'm glad I saw this LOL.  We leave next Sunday and we will be in Aruba in 8 days!  I love your pictures too!  They did change the time from 4 1/2 hours to 6 hours.  I'm not sure what you do for 6 hours?  I saw beach time, but is that like half of the time you are there?

18 hours ago, slyster said:

oh my gosh, i'm glad I saw this LOL.  We leave next Sunday and we will be in Aruba in 8 days!  I love your pictures too!  They did change the time from 4 1/2 hours to 6 hours.  I'm not sure what you do for 6 hours?  I saw beach time, but is that like half of the time you are there?

There's a few small cove beaches to hang out at, there's the snorkeling, all you can eat and drink during your stay there and then you can do extra activities (for a price) if you wanted like snuba or the SeaTrek. Even though we like to dive, we decided to do the SeaTrek and had a blast!!! They have sunken things there: like airplane, bus, jeep and tables with wine. You pretend to drink the wine and you get in the jeep and act like you are driving it and so on. They take pictures of you during the whole process. It's a lot of fun.

12 hours ago, slyster said:

What is the seatrek?

Helmet diving (more like walking).

You put a helmet on your head, which gives you air and your head stays dry. You walk along the sea bed to see everything. Super easy and fun to do.

og-fb-st.jpg

• 2 months later...

Has anyone done this in Cozumel in January?   Just wondering how cold the water will be. 

My wife is planning on bringing her wetsuit.  I am thinking it will not be that cold that she would need it. 

Anyone ever seen anyone doing this excursion with a wetsuit on?