Money Bar?

DeepC

I have heard the name "Money Bar" injected in a few places as a good spot to snorkel? Do they supply or is it better to bring our own?  Is there some kind of cover charge? I take it there is a bar (Duh!). Do they have food as well? Any good? Last question... Do they offer massages there? I want to treat my fiance' to a nice one... Any other info would be greatly appreciated...

Edited by DeepC

Money Bar is a small beach club.  It is not big and fancy, just lounge chairs and tables on a deck and raised beach area, a walk-in snorkeling area, and a big palapa style restaurant.  No pool, no other amenities.  We love it.  But if you are looking for more than that, it will be disappointing.  No charge but you should plan to buy something, drinks or lunch, if you are going to use their facilities.

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_10-L.jpg

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_2-L.jpg

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_3-L.jpg

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_9-L.jpg

2014_CarnivalMAGIC_Cozumel_5-L.jpg

lots and lots of snorkel boats stop just off this club...  

• Like 1

more....   snorkel boats off shore, in front of Money Bar

2014_Magic_COZ145-L.jpg

and food...

chicken nachos, big enough for 2 people

2014_Cozumel143-L.jpg

By lunchtime the place is full, so don't wait to get there...

2014_Magic_COZ157-L.jpg

Wait staff is fantastic and come right out to serve you.  You don't have to go inside restaurant to order.

And when you are ready to go back to ship, someone will run out into street to flag down a taxi for you...no kidding.  

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the thing with snorkeling in Cozumel....  current.  Cozumel is world famous for its drift diving.  This is because the current flows strongly off the coast, from south to north most of the time, bringing rich clear water to the reefs.  This current can be mild, or it can be wild, no way to know day to day or hour to hour.  It is what is great about Cozumel as well as what can be difficult about Cozumel.  The current can be strong at the surface, or mild, but it is always there.

You always, always, always need fins in Cozumel.  You cannot fight the current once you start drifting if you aren't wearing them.  You also need to stay closer to shore if you aren't a strong swimmer.  I don't mean to scare you, it is just a safety concern for everyone.  

There are things to see in shallow water off Money Bar, maybe 4-15' deep.  But please always be aware of your distance from shore and the current.  And don't snorkel alone.  There are no life guards.

Taxi costs are posted everywhere, they are a set rate from each pier. Last week, when  I was there it was $11 for 1-4 passengers to Money Bar from Puerta Maya.  

6 minutes ago, kwbound said:

Does anyone know if any dive trips leave from the Money Bar? Or do they also rent gear for a shore dive?

Right above your post. They rent gear for local.

1 minute ago, DeepC said:

Right above your post. They rent gear for local.

That posts seems to be referring to snorkel gear for surface snorkeling.  A lot of places that rent snorkel equipment don't rent dive equipment also.

59 minutes ago, kwbound said:

That posts seems to be referring to snorkel gear for surface snorkeling.  A lot of places that rent snorkel equipment don't rent dive equipment also.

No, there is no dive shop there.  No rental gear or tanks.  I wouldn't dive there anyhow, it is barely snorkel worthy due to depth and coral.  Plus the boat traffic thru there is an issue.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

The snorkeling at Money Bar is great if feel you go to the right place. The good snorkeling is not near the shore, it is out by the bouy’s and ropes quite a way from shore. A lot of the snorkeling trips come here and snorkel off of the boats. It is drift snorkeling because you have to go with the current. There is a map there to tell you where to go, but most people just go from the shore, and that is not the best. 

They do rent gear there, both for snorkeling and diving. 

We love to go there!

Never crowded, no hassles, good WiFi, easy to get to, taxis wait there to go back to town..