Remove Your Guns And Ammo From Your Luggage!

1 hour ago, sft429 said:

Not necessarily.  IIRC, a man was traveling by plane to somewhere that it would be perfectly legal to be transporting a weapon but for some reason the plane was diverted to New Jersey.  He had to take possession of his luggage to wait for another flight and was arrested for just having the weapon in his luggage at the airport.  I haven't heard how that situation ended.  

I suppose there are extraordinary cases where really bad luck puts people in trouble — but in virtually all cases they are at least partially responsible.  That story about the man arrested in Grand Cayman because ammunition was found in his luggage - and it turned out that he also had a gun in his house in Grand Cayman. His story was that some people who worked for him in Florida had mistakenly packed it for him with other things they were shipping him.

Even if true, he is arguably too stupid to be trusted with a gun anywhere.  If he lets people who work for him have enough access to his gun to ship it to him without him knowing, he deserves what he gets.  Essentially he has put his fate in the hands of anyone who has a connection with the most unintelligent people who work for him- to whom he gives acces to his gun. 

If you own a gun and do not MAKE SURE that things like that can not happen  - you deserve what happens to you when things like that do happen.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sft429 said:

Not necessarily.  IIRC, a man was traveling by plane to somewhere that it would be perfectly legal to be transporting a weapon but for some reason the plane was diverted to New Jersey.  He had to take possession of his luggage to wait for another flight and was arrested for just having the weapon in his luggage at the airport.  I haven't heard how that situation ended.  

Retired LEO from NJ and they are extremely strict with the concealed weapons from other states.   The good thing is that a couple of these people who were arrested actually got Pardons from Gov. Christie, don't know what the current governor will do but we will just have to see.   NJ AG  actually tried to ignore Federal Law that allows retired LEO's to carry even though the Federal Statute says it overrules all state laws.  They are in a world of your own.  By the way in NJ to get a concealed carry permit, it takes an act of God. 

Years ago NJ passed a law on certain rifles and as it happened there were Olympics that year, I think when they were in Spain.  They had a big article in NJ papers that the US Olympic teams for the rifle events had to change reservations from Newark Airport to Philly because the weapons they used for the completion were suddenly put  on the list of banned weapons.   

Edited by dkjretired

13 hours ago, KhaturtleQueen said:

I'm the one who asked if you can carry on a cruise ship.  I didn't ask because I want to carry on a cruise ship.  I don't even have my CHL which should be obvious with the lack of knowledge I have on the subject.  I just asked because when I read the thread, that is the first thing I thought - I wonder if people do carry on the cruise?  I am a first time cruiser coming up in June and know nothing about cruising so it was an innocent question of just wondering if others do carry.  Thanks to the person who gave me a straight answer.  I appreciate it!

No, guns are prohibited items on the ship like irons and hot plates. It doesn’t matter if you are legally permitted to carry. They screen all bags and they don’t be allowed on the ship. No one ‘carries’ on the ship.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

No, guns are prohibited items on the ship like irons and hot plates. It doesn’t matter if you are legally permitted to carry. They screen all bags and they don’t be allowed on the ship. No one ‘carries’ on the ship.

except ship's security, of course.  

13 hours ago, sft429 said:

There are a number of cases like this that are going through the courts.

NY/NJ have arrested people, who were traveling under the provision of the Firearms Owners Protection Act (FOPA) of 1986.

They seem to not care.  I doubt the states will win, once the cases get to Federal court.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dkjretired said:

Retired LEO from NJ and they are extremely strict with the concealed weapons from other states.   The good thing is that a couple of these people who were arrested actually got Pardons from Gov. Christie, don't know what the current governor will do but we will just have to see.   NJ AG  actually tried to ignore Federal Law that allows retired LEO's to carry even though the Federal Statute says it overrules all state laws.  They are in a world of your own.  By the way in NJ to get a concealed carry permit, it takes an act of God. 

Years ago NJ passed a law on certain rifles and as it happened there were Olympics that year, I think when they were in Spain.  They had a big article in NJ papers that the US Olympic teams for the rifle events had to change reservations from Newark Airport to Philly because the weapons they used for the completion were suddenly put  on the list of banned weapons.   

And NJ was the state that passed a magazine capacity limit, but forgot to exempt active LEOs.  So their own police were felons when off duty.  😄

• Like 1

This appears to be a simple case of bad luck for the accused as she never had any intention of bringing that firearm into the country, it was delivered to her due to circumstances beyond her control.

21 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

As a non American I am amazed at this whole topic! In the UK no-one would even think about having a gun in a suitcase!

You also don’t have a constitutionally protected right to own them as American citizens do.  There’s a difference in our legal rights and yours.  

3 hours ago, A2Mich said:

You also don’t have a constitutionally protected right to own them as American citizens do.  There’s a difference in our legal rights and yours.  

......we may not have "constitutionally protected rights" to own firearms, but what we do have is very low levels of gun crime.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

......we may not have "constitutionally protected rights" to own firearms, but what we do have is very low levels of gun crime.

As you had before your handgun ban.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

How many years are you going back - I’m in my 70s and can’t remember anyone in the UK having guns without a very tight registration system, having to keep guns under lock & key.

The handgun ban after Dunblane was instituted in 1996 or 1997.

4 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

1 hour ago, sft429 said:

As you had before your handgun ban.

The UK gun regulations were drastically tightened (effectively banned for Joe Public) following a massacre in Dunblane, Scotland in 1996 (16 kids and a teacher shot dead). The precise motive unknown because he turned the gun on himself, but he was a local and this was long before the world-wide Jihadist etc massacres. That was 10 years after a similar gun rampage in Hungerford, England (again 17 people killed incl a police officer)

Regulations are now swiftly being tightened in New Zealand following the recent massacre in Christchurch.

Meanwhile massacres are becoming an almost-monthly occurrence in the States, yet the powerful gun lobby remains resolute against controls.

I know that Americans love their guns for hunting and personal protection.

But I am utterly amazed by objections to restrict the sales of powerful fast-repeat guns with large magazines. :classic_wacko:

Do hunters need to protect themselves from attack by 50 grizzlies? :classic_rolleyes:

Do hunters find it easier to spray deer with machine-gun fire? :classic_rolleyes:

Or mebbe folk fear being mugged by a gang of 50 hoodlums? :classic_rolleyes:

JB :classic_smile:  

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, sft429 said:

I can do this all day.....  But nobody is going to change their mind and the thread will degenerate quickly.

3 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Meanwhile massacres are becoming an almost-monthly occurrence in the States, yet the powerful gun lobby remains resolute against controls.

I know that Americans love their guns for hunting and personal protection.

But I am utterly amazed by objections to restrict the sales of powerful fast-repeat guns with large magazines. :classic_wacko:

Do hunters need to protect themselves from attack by 50 grizzlies? :classic_rolleyes:

Do hunters find it easier to spray deer with machine-gun fire? :classic_rolleyes:

Or mebbe folk fear being mugged by a gang of 50 hoodlums? :classic_rolleyes:

See what I mean?  Good job of cramming as much nonsense as possible into one short post.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sft429 said:

See what I mean?  Good job of cramming as much nonsense as possible into one short post.

If you're going to make accusations of nonsense you should have the decency to say why. :classic_rolleyes:

JB :classic_angry:

Very true.  The UK also leads the way in knife stabbings.  I’m not debating with you the why or how.  I was simply stating that as Americans, we have the right to bear arms in our Constitution.  That is my statement.

2 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

Very true.  The UK also leads the way in knife stabbings.  I’m not debating with you the why or how.  I was simply stating that as Americans, we have the right to bear arms in our Constitution.  That is my statement.

Shame.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

Actually, not so. In 2016, there were  3.26 homicides per million of population in the UK, compared with 4.96 per million of population in the US. (Using knives or other bladed weapons) There has been a recent spike this year  but there are many, many countries out there with far worse knife crime statistics than the UK.

Edited by Sancho_proudfoot
Typo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

I don't know the numbers or comparisons with other countries but certainly stabbings have significantly increased in the past year or so, especially in London. Visitors need not be too concerned, most are committed in drug-wars.

Knives play an important part in anyone's life - can you imagine having a kitchen without one?

Likewise pretty-well anything can be used as a weapon.

But guns are designed only for killing, and semi-automatics & such allow it to be done on an industrial scale.

Edited by John Bull

1 hour ago, A2Mich said:

What the US courts need to do is to actually understand that right — the passage does not simply say that every competent or incompetent person can have any sort of weapon he wants.  The relevant provision starts with the notion that : “A well regulated militia being necessary ... “.  The same sort of judicial reasoning which created a constitutional right to privacy and then stated that such right made laws limiting abortion unconstitutional — should also determine that “well regulated” includes reasonable limitations on types of weapons - as well as types (sanity, maturity, etc.) of people who can own such weapons as may be privately owned.

The US constitution is a living document, subject to reasoned application - and not  the suicide pact some people seem to want it to be.

• Like 1

I am not here to debate any specifics—I was simply replying when someone asked why they thought it may be necessary that someone bring a firearm with them. I’m not debating the ethics, morality, or legality here. My statement was that we have the right to, regardless of what people’s personal beliefs or opinions may be.