Current Galveston to Hobby Travel times

NightOne

Booked a 1:40pm flight thinking I would be swimming in time after getting of the Carnival Vista a few Sundays from now but some friends of ours just got off the Freedom this past Saturday and they said that Highway 45 was a mess and there were long delays. 

Anybody off the Vista these past couple of Sundays that can share information? or anyone in regards to the general travel times from Galveston to Hobby on Sunday mornings?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 2:21 PM, NightOne said:

Changed my flight to a later flight just to be safe as I couldn't find any definitive information on this. 😞

What time did you end up booking the flight? Looking at maybe Vista ourselves next year.  Would love to get home earlier but wouldn't love the stress and worry of being late for the earlier flight.

I think the reason that this question hasn't really gotten any answers is because it's virtually impossible to forecast what the traffic will be like.  Right now I don't think there are any major construction projects between Galveston and Hobby.  There is on-going construction on I-45 near downtown Houston which is likely to impact travel time to Bush IAH airport. 

That being said, any construction that needs to be done is usually done on the week-ends to avoid disrupting weekday commuting.  Lanes are usually closed down about 9:00pm on Friday and re-open in time for Monday morning.  Often there is only 48 hour notice given, so it's difficult to guess what it will like months in advance. 

• Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 5:25 AM, KmomChicago said:

What time did you end up booking the flight? Looking at maybe Vista ourselves next year.  Would love to get home earlier but wouldn't love the stress and worry of being late for the earlier flight.

We changed from the 1:40pm flight to the 8:00pm flight

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NightOne said:

We changed from the 1:40pm flight to the 8:00pm flight

If that makes you feel better, great for you, but I can't imagine that you wouldn't have had more than enough time for a 1:40 flight. I've left ships in Galveston after 9 AM and gotten through Galveston County, Harris County and into Fort Bend County where I live and opened my front door before 11 AM. 

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

If that makes you feel better, great for you, but I can't imagine that you wouldn't have had more than enough time for a 1:40 flight. I've left ships in Galveston after 9 AM and gotten through Galveston County, Harris County and into Fort Bend County where I live and opened my front door before 11 AM. 

Agree that if all goes per expectation it is doable. But things can go wrong and then it’s a bad gamble. Several factors could potentially derail their original itinerary: Delay in arrival which includes finding luggage or dealing with customs, delay in securing their ride, delay due to traffic, and delays checking in or going through security at the airport. 

They’ve now gone from a low risk of missing their flight to a virtually zero risk. Perhaps more important, zero fretting about it all week while aboard and probably a great last night’s sleep knowing they don’t need to rush one bit. It’s a form of insurance but this time the cost of the policy is time and it seems a reasonable price to pay.

37 minutes ago, KmomChicago said:

Agree that if all goes per expectation it is doable. But things can go wrong and then it’s a bad gamble. Several factors could potentially derail their original itinerary: Delay in arrival which includes finding luggage or dealing with customs, delay in securing their ride, delay due to traffic, and delays checking in or going through security at the airport. 

They’ve now gone from a low risk of missing their flight to a virtually zero risk. Perhaps more important, zero fretting about it all week while aboard and probably a great last night’s sleep knowing they don’t need to rush one bit. It’s a form of insurance but this time the cost of the policy is time and it seems a reasonable price to pay.

You're obviously a belt and suspenders type. I just can't imagine sitting around an airport for hours and hours to cover a possibility that's very close to nil. But, whatever floats your boat.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

I agree. We do self assist and, though we live 20 blocks to the port, we are home by 8 am or earlier.  Wait longer for our neighbor to pick us up than getting off the ship and through immigration.

So we have FTTF so we can get off the ship pretty early but we do not self assist. Also, we need to get to the Galveston Enterprise to pick up the car.

I have this exact same dilemma for a cruise in October but on that one we do not have FTTF (yet) and the flights are 2:15pm or 10:15pm  so it is an even tougher call on that one.