Silver Spirit- 23 days - Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona - April 2

spinnaker2

I know it's April fools day, but no fooling, tomorrow we embark from Port Everglades to Barcelona!

We are looking forward to many sea days as we cross the Atlantic, stopping in Bermuda and the Azores before we dock in Lisbon on April 15.  The pace will definitely increase on the second leg of the cruise! 

• Like 2

Candy and Larry now it is our turn to follow y’all on your voyage.  Fair Winds and Following Seas.  You will just miss DavidK, and Craig P who get off in FLL.

12 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

tomorrow we embark from Port Everglades to Barcelona!  We are looking forward to many sea days as we cross the Atlantic, stopping in Bermuda and the Azores before we dock in Lisbon on April 15.  The pace will definitely increase on the second leg of the cruise! 

YES!!  Best for this trip.  Keep us posted as to how things work with the ship's Internet, ability to email out pictures, do messaging, etc.  Always like hearing about the ship speakers on this sailing, etc.  Look forward to following along as you travel. How much time will you have in Lisbon at the end of your cruise?  Or, are you doing a second sailing leg?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 27,909 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Hello all. 

Thanks Mr. Silver and Terry. Yes Terry, there is a Santa Claus, we are going on to Barcelona from Lisbon.

Yesterday was a blur. The 30 minute drive from our house took much longer because the limo driver didn't know where he was going! We still arrived early and were onboard by 11:35 am.

There were lots of visitors and execs onboard for lunch.

Many crew members we recognized and who recognized us first, and lots of hugs! 

A leisurely lunch in Atlantide which was quite good and then it was close to 2 when the suites were ready. Our butler, Sonal, is fantastic. We were lucky enough to have the same butler on our trip to Cuba a month ago. She had stocked the suite with DH's favorites, and he was very pleased. 

Unpacking which we did ourselves ( although Sonal offered), and it was time for the drill!

Some pax thought it odd that they had to actually put on the life vests and walk out to the  lifeboats. Overheard were remarks of, "Oh I guess Silversea is more serious now since the Viking incident". Um no.  As far as I can remember its always been the same.

Did see English USA, who was sporting one of his signature t-shirts, and we have a full trivia team!

Dinner in La Terrazza was delightful, that giant antipasti plate, or should I say slate, is enough for a meal.

There are 435 pax aboard!

According to Rico, many Venetians with thousands of days.

Today is a sea day. Early morning it was grey and overcast. Slight swells.

Now the sun is trying to burn off the clouds.

A full day of events scheduled in the Chronicles.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Thanks Mr. Silver and Terry. Yes Terry, there is a Santa Claus, we are going on to Barcelona from Lisbon. There were lots of visitors and execs onboard for lunch.  Many crew members we recognized and who recognized us first, and lots of hugs!   A leisurely lunch in Atlantide which was quite good and then it was close to 2 when the suites were ready. Our butler, Sonal, is fantastic.  Dinner in La Terrazza was delightful, that giant antipasti plate, or should I say slate, is enough for a meal.  There are 435 pax aboard!

Today is a sea day. Early morning it was grey and overcast. Slight swells.  Now the sun is trying to burn off the clouds.   A full day of events scheduled in the Chronicles.

Great updating and details from Spins/Candy.  Am I understanding correctly that you have two days before arriving in Bermuda?  Let us know any details as to the Internet, your on-board speakers, ship offerings, etc.  Love following along.  

For my latest live/blog, see “the Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East.  Check it at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

Thanks Rachel and Stumble.

Yesterday we got our bearings and just relaxed,

Pool deck was full although it was windy and slightly chilly.

We did lunch at the Grill and on the shady side, the starboard side, I needed a fleece jacket.

Trivia was a beginning...enough said.

We learned Rico is going on vacation and a totally new CD is coing aboard in Hamilton. 

There are a number of people aboard from corporate who are also getting off in Hamilton.

We didn't go to any lectures, yet.   One of the guest lecturers is Dr. John McMichan. He is lecturing on Health issues, which is his career now in retirement. He joined our trivia team.

Another lecturer is Rick Senat, who is a film and media guru. He is speaking about the film industry.

Dinner was at the Grill. The plastic wind sheets were down and the heaters on. Good food and good times.

Then stopped in for truffles and a listen at the Silver Note with Helene and Andre. Truly a pleasure to have live jazz in such a cozy venue.

Seas a bit rough during the night, perfect to be rocked to sleep, We did have to give up an hour sleep in time change!

And now the  new day begins, blue seas glistening with the reflection of the sun. Windspeed 19 knots at the bow,  speed 15.5 knots towards Hamilton.

A sea day!

• Like 1

Candy; Hope you and Larry have a great cruise. Wes and I really liked the Shadow. I had forgotten how nice it really was, but I'm afraid they're going to ruin it during the refurb in Nov. I'm trying to get Lynn to do the maiden crossing on the Moon, but no success so far. Will enjoy following your posts; ENJOY!

3 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

We learned Rico is going on vacation and a totally new CD is coing aboard in Hamilton. 

Any chance it could be JollyJones? 😉

Enjoy your sea day!

3 hours ago, dougburns said:

I'm trying to get Lynn to do the maiden crossing on the Moon, but no success so far.

C’mon Doug, pull out the heavily artillery!

• Like 1

Candy, wishing you a great cruise, seems like you just got off this ship!😁

I noticed that you haven't attempted posting any pics yet, I am wondering if the internet is any better than last time around. 

Is Claudette still performing in lounges? 

Bob

On 4/4/2019 at 9:49 AM, spinnaker2 said:

We didn't go to any lectures, yet.   One of the guest lecturers is Dr. John McMichan. He is lecturing on Health issues, which is his career now in retirement. He joined our trivia team.  Another lecturer is Rick Senat, who is a film and media guru. He is speaking about the film industry.  Dinner was at the Grill. The plastic wind sheets were down and the heaters on. Good food and good times.

Glad to hear for Candy and DH that things on the Silver Spirit are going well.  Appreciate the above details on the ship speakers.  Since we have never done a trans-ocean sailing, am interested as to how the activities and offerings on the ship work and flow.  We are more port-priority people, but might want to do one of these types of cruises in the future.  Enjoy following along!!   Look forward to hearing any updates as to photo posting and/or sharing.  Keep enjoying the sailing and sharing.   

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 44,783 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

The internet is slow, but passable.  Don't even attempt You Tube or videos. Can be used on several devices, but, only one at a time. Rainy day today in Bermuda.  Sailing at 2PM. Last night "death by chocolate" was one of the most amazing displays of chocolate we've ever seen. 

16 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Ooops😀

Are the US authorities ‘picky’ or was this justified?

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2019/04/articles/disease/another-silversea-cruises-ship-flunks-usph-sanitation-inspection/

A score of 81 is pretty low, but there are a lot of technical violations. I’m surprised that when they were re-inspected just recently that they only got 92.

Edited by Silver Spectre

Yesterday was picture perfect weather in Bermuda. The sail in is quite a long process as we had to weave our way in through the various cans, markers and buoys. We followed a rather large vessel, but I dont know where they docked. 1737097536_onwayintoBermuda.thumb.JPG.e483092053c1d982fb8268c56440443d.JPG

The town was busy with tourists,but not overly so. The crew were happy to have time out and about, especially since we are docked alongside Front Street.

Today, the weather is not the chamber of commerce type of day. Cloudy with very light rain early in the morning. Humidity high.

Just had our second code Alpha in as many days and this time the person left the ship prematurely on a gurney and by ambulance. Hoping that all is ok.

The rest of us leave at 2 pm.

As far as the inspections, I haven't seen anything amiss, but then I don't go into the Galley or anywhere on Main Street.

I do know the ship was inspected the morning of embarkation in Ft. Lauderdale.

Last night's death by chocolate was the usual impressive display of everything chocolate and then dancing under the stars.

Congratulations, Candy!!  More nice details, background, etc.  PLUS, a picture was posted!!  Is the Internet working a little better on this sailing??  When handy, let us know from the technical people on the ship if something was changed, got corrected, etc., to allow improved service on this sailing. Are the Silversea Singers about the same as has been in previous years?  Or, have they done many changes for activities in this area?  Keep up the great sharing!!

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 234,586 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I do know the ship was inspected the morning of embarkation in Ft. Lauderdale.

According to the Cruise Law website an SS employee contacted them anonymously about that inspection and the 92 score. It’s not up on the USPH site yet. By the way who is the HD?

Have a calm and enjoyable crossing!

58 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

According to the Cruise Law website an SS employee contacted them anonymously about that inspection and the 92 score. It’s not up on the USPH site yet. By the way who is the HD?

Have a calm and enjoyable crossing!

Mr. Silver:

the HD is Henry D'Roza

• Like 1

internet is slowwwww

I did take the drink that makes you smaller, per asking alice in wonderland, and applied it to my photos.

Apparently it isn't working all that well because I  am still getting the error message that upload failed.  I made the photos teeny tiny.

There were no dark and stormy drinks because there was no ginger beer purchased in Bermuda! 

We made do without and our sail away was lovely and made all the more special because Jolly Jones was waving from shore and then walked up to a point on shore and continued the wave.  Thanks much Jolly!! xxxooo

We have exited the channel and are in the open sea.

And so the crossing begins.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 2