Silver Spirit- 23 days - Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona - April 2

spinnaker2

44 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Terry,  I love this weather!  Dramatic and such fabulous light. Thunder and lightening! And the rolling noise as it travels across the mountains is just spectacular. 

It does not dampen our spirits in the least.  Our butler just brought canapes and freshly baked hot cashews.   YUMMMM

Excellent that you like that kind of weather.   After our Midwest winter, I much prefer sunshine and  warm (but not hot) temperatures as we are experiencing right now.  Am out on our screened porch with the ravine, wooded views, listening to the birds, seeing Spring greenery coming out, etc.  

Nice to have your Butler bringing nice treats.  Sounds like great fun and very enjoyable. Here at home, I've got to be my own Butler to go fetch the "goodies". 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Thanks JP, Stumble and Terry.

Dinner last night in Atlantide with the HD and F&B Manager. 

Lovely company and food.

Death by Chocolate was also last night but the weather didn't hold so it was held in the Panorama and covered deck at the stern. The voices of Silversea went home in Barcelona and new ones have arrived.

Today is a sea day and rainy. Chronicles has lots to do!

Edited by spinnaker2

Spinnaker's log.

Saturday April 20.  Aboard the Silver Spirit.

Position 40 degrees 42.22 degrees N

006 degrees 00.76 degrees E

Speed 15.5 knots

Wind 22 knots at the bow

Temperature 15C, overcast

Destination Porto Torres, Sardinia

A  second sea day.

Due to deteriorating weather conditions yesterday, Porto Mahon was closed by the harbourmaster.  

Last evening, Captain Failla made the decision to go directly to Sardinia and instead of going to Alghero, we will be docked at Porto Torres. 

It was determined that tendering off Alghero might be too unsafe due to the large swells.

Additionally, the Captain took a more northerly course to try and avoid the very high winds and seas.

Last night was quite rough but the Spirit handled it all well. We were constantly buffeted by  extremely strong winds and swells. 

The ship will be alongside at Porto Torres around 7 pm this evening.

6 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Due to deteriorating weather conditions yesterday, Porto Mahon was closed by the harbourmaster.  Last evening, Captain Failla made the decision to go directly to Sardinia and instead of going to Alghero, we will be docked at Porto Torres. 

It was determined that tendering off Alghero might be too unsafe due to the large swells.   Additionally, the Captain took a more northerly course to try and avoid the very high winds and seas.   Last night was quite rough but the Spirit handled it all well. We were constantly buffeted by  extremely strong winds and swells.   The ship will be alongside at Porto Torres around 7 pm this evening.

Sorry to hear about the weather/sea challenges and missing the stop at Porto Mahon.  While we have not had an opportunity to visit, yet, to visit any of these various island in this part of the Med, that Mahon stop and its history seemed interesting.  Good luck with your stop in Sardinia.  What will you be doing on that island?  When will your "big surprise" be happening?

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 245,507 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Terry

The Spirit is facing the challenge of getting into the port, the wind as we approached the island was at last 35 knots with over 10 foot swells.

The wind is hitting us on the port side and we are listing to starboard.

We had planned to go to the Nuraghe in Alghero but due to the port change a lot of time is added on and we dont want to spend that much time on a bus. Instead we will wander around the town and go to some historical sites.

The following day when we leave Sardinia for Livorno, we will transit the Bonifacio Straits, a narrow 3 mile stretch between Corsica and Sardinia. 

The surprise is yet to come.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spinnaker2 said:

The surprise is yet to come.

Appreciate these great added details and follow-up from Spins/Candy.  Rough seas??!! Not fun.  Good luck for making it all work.  In the wise words, "I feel you pain."

YES, will keep following along to learn more about the "BIG SURPRISE!".  Will it be BIG, BIG or just big?

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 234,818 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Spins, you are such a tease. Looking forward to your surprise in due course. 

Shame about the weather. We had a really nice improvised day in Menorca a few years back. They canceled our ship's tour due to lack of participation, so we rented a car in port and my most excellent planner (Chris) had a full itinerary cooked up. It's really a pretty island and hopefully you can visit another time.

I am looking forward to your impressions of Sardinia. It's supposed to be a great place to hang out for a week or so. Beautiful countryside, mountains (hiking!), beaches (meh, but fresh seafood yum!), and lots of undiscovered great wine. My kind of place!

JP and Terry thanks.

We have been here before. I think its worthy of at least a week.

The seas were not rough enough to spoil our time aboard.

We are safely docked. The air is crisp and clean, a beautiful night.

Many pax rushed off tonight for dinner in the town.

Almost all pax are first timers.

A touchy subject, but I must say that the dress code on this ten day cruise is being ignored...and not much, if anything, is being done about it. In my opinion, if there is a dress code, it should be adhered to by all pax and enforced by Silversea. Otherwise, why bother? If this is the new norm, ok, but please let me know before I pack my bags. I sure don't need to bring all this extra clothing if I can wear shorts or work out wear after 6 pm, no jackets for men(DH would be happy) and blue jeans all the time. I realize that Silversea wants to cater to a younger crowd, but then the dress code should be officially changed. Why the sham?

Easter basket in our room when we returned from dinner, chocolate bunny and hen and assorted other goodies.

I am so glad that the E.Bunny found me. Thanks Silversea Bunny.

• Like 1

Precisely right on Candy, we also noted a relaxing of the Silversea dress code on both the Muse and Shadow last month, and in March.

Happy Easter!

If I was the CD, would have had the entertainment team organize an Adult Easter Egg hunt with a nice future cruise credit to be found in one of the eggs 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

Easter basket in our room when we returned from dinner, chocolate bunny and hen and assorted other goodies.

I am so glad that the E.Bunny found me. Thanks Silversea Bunny.

Ooh... something to look forward to later then! I remember ours from last year and it was a nice surprise. Will see how the dress code works out this evening on  formal night. And speaking about dressing up.... there are a couple of American ladies on with us who have worn bunny ears continuously since boarding (including meals and muster) which is a little odd!

Triv just finished.... I joined Jollies team. They are now giving out nice credit card style points vouchers. The ones with 5 points are very nice! Can’t say I earned mine, but at least I now know a gathering of Goldfinch is a charm!

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, les37b said:

Triv just finished.... I joined Jollies team. They are now giving out nice credit card style points vouchers. The ones with 5 points are very nice! Can’t say I earned mine, but at least I now know a gathering of Goldfinch is a charm!

You’re going to win Les.  Jolly is a trivia beast and an unbeatable one at that!

3 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

You’re going to win Les.  Jolly is a trivia beast and an unbeatable one at that!

OMG what a reputation to precede me!

I too have noticed a relaxation of the dress code but we’re Caribbean so I’m not so surprised. At least it was relaxed last week on the infamous Cuba debacle (jeans in the MDR, least of our problems), it’s formal tonight and it’s quite dressy. Plenty of tuxedos; there’s one woman in a tight black off the shoulder long frock with a huge black and white striped frill around the top, looks like a flower vase out of the 1960s. Also long black gloves. Unbelievable that anyone still dresses that way. 

• Like 2

Happy Easter! 

A chilly and grey day here, as we watch the tour bus cavalcade fill up with pax in an assortment of clothing but all bracing against the wind.

Wind is 25 knots from the east, hitting us broadside and starboard.  Even though we are in a very protected harbour the swells are hitting the breakwater and spilling over in some places.

Nice idea Wes, hope corporate hears it! There are a lot of children aboard so probably adults would have too much competition.

The other night at dinner in La Terrazza in an otherwise dimly lit,  romantic ambiance, a family at a table next to us was playing a board game with some marbles in a box.  The game  involved each player shaking the box,  it was a little unnerving to suddenly hear the marbles clacking! 

Jolly, hope your travels have improved! 

Les and Stumble, yes Jolly is a masterful trivia player.

Our team on the crossing was quite good as well, of course we had Patti and Paul, Alec, Phillip, Susie, David and the doctor! 

Hope that the commentary about the dress code reaches the powers that be and we get some definition about the changes!

PS

The Easter Basket remains intact. Even the Bunny ears.

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

The Easter Basket remains intact. Even the Bunny ears.

Well the bunny ears were still visible last night (formal night) but I’m sad to report the Easter bunny didn’t visit. I’m also a little horrified to notice the towels left in the bath for washing, were just folded and put on the rail. I’m really unsure why they’d do that. Putting in a bag for washing versus folding and hanging takes more effort, so do wonder if that is a sign of most unwelcome cost cutting.

The food in the restaurant last night, I’m happy to report was very good and a good selection. (For our taste at least.)

• Like 1

Les, we haven't had that towel experience. 

To continue the Easter theme, there are Easter Egg placards stuck to everything in La Dolce Vita.

At 245 pm the wind picked up. Lots of pax by the pool in the sun, after all this is their Easter break.

17 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Les, we haven't had that towel experience. 

To continue the Easter theme, there are Easter Egg placards stuck to everything in La Dolce Vita.

At 245 pm the wind picked up. Lots of pax by the pool in the sun, after all this is their Easter break.

Seems I jumped the gun.... and the Easter bunnies and chicks have been busy. Nothing in the room yet, but I did spot a trolley of baskets about to land.

Last year on the Shadow, the entrance of La Terrazza had a huge chocolate egg display, but not seen anything of what you describe. Maybe that’s to come. 

After falling asleep yesterday and now resembling a lobster, I shall be in the shade today. Lesson learned!

Edited by les37b
  • Like 1

Les, glad you are having a basket. Would not want you to be deprived or depraved either.

There was a woman aboard who also resembled a lobster. It was hard to look at her without grimacing in pain for her, ouch!

I thought blisters might be next. 

We just left Porto Torres. Tonight is formal night and the Venetian party, which we will likely skip.

A view from the shore. The Spirit and Batman.

1755632692_spiritandbatman.thumb.JPG.e0668231d10496ad72d3e9308c7ec90f.JPG

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spinnaker2 said:

yes its the same! Wait you got an extra sugar chocolate EGG! GRRRR. Happy now????

That was probably to make up for the missing bunny ear! Shock horror.... That's almost cannibalism!

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Definitely not suffering xocolovophobia, today’s phobia in Colin’s trivia. 

And I got only two candy eggs, but made up for it with a chocolate bunny, chicken, and duck. 

An amazing (correct) answer.... But only 2nd place behind the 2 bunny girls. I think there's a stewards out on that one!

I got back to the room and the bunny's ear wasn't enough for the hen.   . And the bunny was no more. Clearly not suffering xocolovophobia either.

Sea slightly choppy and am aware of a few missing dinner though sea sickness. Heaven help if it did get rough!