The future of Edge-class?

Fairsky84

21 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

We were so disappointed we will never be back on Edge, so glad that Celebrity has other ships in its fleet.  We felt cheated and mislead....the ersatz balcony was a horrible joke, and an expensive one for us.

Which type of cabin did you have? Cheated and mislead? Did you not even look at pictures?

2 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Great! Which type of cabin or suite did you have? 

We had rm 8169 a IV balcony.  We were afraid we wouldn't like it but now we don't want to cruise without one. We loved the shows, food, etc.  

Edited by lovrccl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

We had rm 8169 a IV balcony.  We were afraid we wouldn't like it but now we don't want to cruise without one. We loved the shows, food, etc.  

Is it true the balcony window was often locked by the captain?  I think IV balcony getting locked is my only hesitation.  Well, that and the crazy price!  Lol!

15 hours ago, Fairsky84 said:

I’m wondering what others think about the future of the Edge-class. Clearly, Celebrity took a lot of risks with this new class of ships, and not all of thier innovations have been well received. The goal was to appeal to new (younger) cruisers and that means possibly alienating existing (older) customers. I’m worried they may have only succeeded at driving away their loyal customers without really attracting the younger ones.

Some Edge innovations will be easy to fix. Like the focus on cell phones and some furnishing choices. Others will not. Like the infinite verandas. Will Celebrity make changes on the upcoming Edge class ships still under construction (Apex, Opus, and Luxe)? Is a fundamental rethink of the cabin design with a return to traditional balconies even possible? And does anyone else think the Flying Carpet is unlikely to be a feature on all future Edge class ships? 

Edge may represent the first time a new class from RCI/Celebrity has missed the mark. Going all the way back to Song of Norway and Sovereign of the Seas, company has been known for real design innovations that change the industry. I’ll always appreciate their vision and risk-taking. But Edge feels like a swing and miss to me.

I don't think the integration with cell phones is going away, if anything advance more.  I don't think it's necessarily an age thing; lots of people in the "older" group have taken easily to smartphones.  It's becoming like second hand to most people.

I think the IV design is fundamental to the structure of the ship.  Don't think they could do away with it without a complete redesign.  Also I don't think the IV is as unpopular as people here think it is.  For those that like traditional, there's still the sunset veranda.  

Flying carpet similarly I think can't be made to go away without a massive redesign.  I haven't heard many reviews lately from the more recent cruises about tendering and I wonder if it is working.  I can see fixes in future ships as to whatever was preventing them from using it as intended as a tender launching point.

I am curious too as is everyone here about the crazy prices to the Edge.  Is it making money? maybe they will mention it in RCCltd Q1 call.  Are they having hard time filling the ship? or are they making money hand over fist.  I don't really see how prices are so high if they aren't making money.

In general, I think consumers these days are less "loyal" to brands and are more willing to switch and try new experiences.  In the same way companies are less loyal to customers and try to match the market.

22 minutes ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Is it true the balcony window was often locked by the captain?  I think IV balcony getting locked is my only hesitation.  Well, that and the crazy price!  Lol!

No. Not once when we were on the cruise last week was the window locked as far as we know. 

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Not often  locked on our cruise...just for window washing and one  bit of rain...It was not a big issue for us  but we did not have it open for long periods.  The AC does go off once window is open and hot humid air fills in...esp b/c we never closed the bi fold doors..Too much of a  chore  and  you need to move the  veranda chairs  around to do it. We opened the window for taking photos, looking out and sea breezes...at night.

We treated the Veranda as a Florida room...extra space under air for the cabin. We  turned the chairs to face inward with the little tray table.. It made a nice sitting area.  If you are looking for a true balcony...this is not it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Our window was locked once for only a few hours because they ran the window washing machine.  Other than that we had no issue.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, cgolf1 said:

We will be doing an oceanview with 3 adults on the Apex, I will have to do a report on how it went. It will be with our daughter who hopefully will just have finished up college, fingers crossed:)

Perhaps the oceanview has a different configuration and a sofa pull out that is better for 3 than the AQ class cabin..Nice grad cruise for your dtr!  I bet she will liove APEX.   Congrats!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

I don't think the integration with cell phones is going away, if anything advance more.  I don't think it's necessarily an age thing; lots of people in the "older" group have taken easily to smartphones.  It's becoming like second hand to most people.

I think the IV design is fundamental to the structure of the ship.  Don't think they could do away with it without a complete redesign.  Also I don't think the IV is as unpopular as people here think it is.  For those that like traditional, there's still the sunset veranda.  

Flying carpet similarly I think can't be made to go away without a massive redesign.  I haven't heard many reviews lately from the more recent cruises about tendering and I wonder if it is working.  I can see fixes in future ships as to whatever was preventing them from using it as intended as a tender launching point.

I am curious too as is everyone here about the crazy prices to the Edge.  Is it making money? maybe they will mention it in RCCltd Q1 call.  Are they having hard time filling the ship? or are they making money hand over fist.  I don't really see how prices are so high if they aren't making money.

In general, I think consumers these days are less "loyal" to brands and are more willing to switch and try new experiences.  In the same way companies are less loyal to customers and try to match the market.

I was told the ship has never sailed FULL.  Also was told the high end suites are being left empty if not booked.  I could do without the Carpet, I think that was a little crazy.  We sat out on it once for a drink when we were in port.  No big deal to us.

8 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

When the prices come down comparable to other Celebrity ships, I will certainly give Edge class a try.  That said, after 50 Celebrity cruises there are certain things I have come to really enjoy on my sailings, and some are compromised based on reviews I've read.  Go ahead and flame me if you want to - no, I have not sailed Edge yet and I am sure there are some things I will like about it and it will be fun to try something new.   But there are some known facts I do not need to have sailed her to be aware of and have an opinion on.  If you think that makes me a negative Nelly so be it.  But facts are facts, unless pictures are lying.

DH and I tend to be cabin rats - love to spend lots of time sitting out on our balcony enjoying the ocean and reading/relaxing.  From what I have read and seen about the furniture (modern design, seat not adjustable, no footstools, smaller table), I am not sure that will be as enjoyable going forward.  Common sense.  I also think the infinite balconies, while innovative, were not really developed with a real passenger's comfort in mind.  Form over function from what I have read.  Windows sometimes being controlled by management, no curtain to keep the sun out if someone still sleeping, room getting warmer when the window is open, room space smaller to allow a bigger bathroom (a plus) and a bigger bed (not needed).  Facts.  We occasionally sail three to a cabin with our adult son.  I don't need (or want) a bigger bed and smaller floor space. And the last thing I need in those cases is a smaller closet - we barely fit our clothes in before when there were three of us.   Call me a dinosaur, but the library was one of my favorite places on the ship.  Gone.   I love the look and atmosphere of the classic ocean liners - warm, welcoming.  The current ships embody that, with a modern edge.  I have never, nor will I ever, prefer what I consider 'cold' modern design.  That would of course not spoil my cruise, but it is not my preference.

I have sailed 6 Celebrity cruises in the past four months.  I have spoken to numerous fellow cruisers who have sailed on Edge to ask how they enjoyed it, hoping to hear good things versus reviews I have read.  To a person they were not very happy with the ship.  Many stated they would never sail her again.  I did not meet one, not one, who really liked the ship (although some were more neutral about it than others who really disliked it).

Did Celebrity miss the boat on these ships?  Of course it is too soon to know for sure.  But I really don't think just putting a new and more modern design out there is going to bring in the rich Millennials they are aiming for.  How many Millennials do you know that have never cruised, have heard about this ship, and are jumping at the chance to sail her?  I'm sure there are some - I personally do not know of any (and with a son of 32 temporarily living at home I have a chance to interact with many of them).  What I think Celebrity has done is turn off many of its loyal customers.  Our opinions get disregarded regularly, and yet we are the ones filling the other ships.  Those of us 40ish to 70 likely have at least 20 more years of cruising to come (God willing) and some more than that.  Many of us are, like myself, very, very loyal to Celebrity.  Did Celebrity make changes that appeal to us?  For the most part, it seems not.  If that proves to be the case, it seems to me that is one big, big mistake.  Time will tell.

We are late 60's and loved the ship.  We have done many cruises and loved the technology, service, decor, etc.  We will be back on her and Apex.  We had no complaints.  

• Thanks 1

My husband and I booked the maiden voyage on the EDGE, paying more than we ever have for a 7 night cruise, and that will be the last time. We are baby boomers, have cruise on different class ships, and usually book based on destination not necessarily type of ship.  I have not cruised on one of the mega ships because I have mobility problems and don't want to spend a day to get from end of the ship to the other. Also, I prefer a more modest number on board.

We stayed in a handicapped infinite veranda stateroom, which is larger than the regular IV room. The bathroom was the best layout I have experienced. The IV part of the room was very private yet confining. Yes, the room needs some kind of curtain to block light from the IV, even at night when in port. The furniture was uncomfortable. The king size bed was great.

The décor throughout the ship was cold with splashes of bold color photos mounted to the walls. The holiday decorations were all silver, white and gray, no green or red. Eden was uncomfortable in may ways. Gone was the iced martini bar. Gone was the library and other quiet sitting areas. There wasn't much to do and the entertainment needed to reconsider their program.

I do have to say that the staff, all of the staff, were outstanding. The food was good in the dining rooms and the buffet.

So...….we will stick to other Celebrity ships for future cruises.

1 hour ago, UnorigionalName said:

Lots of people in the “older” group were key players in the early IT years. In fact, early in my IT career, some of my best mentors were much “older”. It amuses me that some people think that just because they themselves, their parents, or their grandparents are luddites, everyone who is the same age must be also. Many people who are mid-career and later prefer to ditch the electronic devices during their cruise, not because they cannot use them, but because they want a break from the incessant demands of their daily lives.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sailor Taylor said:

I was om the port side and my cabin was locked twice as I could tell. Once gor window washing and once gor refueling operations. It was posted on the daily when it would be locked. Only once we were impacted because the window was not unlocked by the time it was supposed to. I went to shower and by the time I was done window was unlocked.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Fairsky84 said:

Agree. I can understand the 70yr old passenger whose cruise 40+ times not being a fan of Edge. That’s acceptable IF the ship is effectively drawing 35yr olds to cruising for the first time. Is there any evidence it’s working? 

While Edge-class might ultimately be ok for Celebrity once they work out the bugs and make some adjustments, can anyone think of another new class debut from RCI/Celebrity that has been met by so much criticism? Sure, every ship has its oddities but Quantum-class, Oasis-class, S-class... all were nearly universally praised for their design, innovation, cabin comfort, and layout. I don’t recall any M-class fans criticizing S-class when it launched. It was widely embraced as a step forward. Edge is the first new class I’ve seen that has received this degree of pushback, even if it’s not “most” passengers complaining the % is enough for Celebrity to take notice. 

We did the Edge on the maiden voyage Dec 9th .  We took our moms who are in their 70s and we all LOVED the ship.  Its completely different and we liked the new experience.  And we actually loved loved loved being able to sit in bed, and control the drapes, a/c, tv, lights etc all from my cell phone! We loved all the specialty restaurants.  We thought the decor was beautiful...very much to our liking...and our moms loved it too..so I’m not sure that just because one is 70+ means they wont like it.  We were in a sky suite and loved our regular veranda...not sure how I feel about an Infinite Veranda...guess I would have to experience one to comment on that.  We loved the Retreat area of the ship as well as Luminae.  Only thing I wasnt crazy about is the Martini Bar...it kind of lost its original draw.  It seemed like they tried to combine too much into that one space....its large but still so difficult to find a seat and doesn’t have the wow factor the martini bar has on the S class ships.  Otherwise we are huge fans.  Only other disappointment is to see that every winter season (2019, 2020 and 2021), they have Edge doing the exact same 2 itineraries over and over and over? I dont understand the logic in that?

• Thanks 1

We are in our 70s. Have taken almost 100 Cruises In the Last 47 years on many different lines beginning with our honeymoon on RC Song of Norway. Sailed on the Old Celebrity Ships, All the C class M class and S class and sailed Edge in January. While we respect all opinions and understand the ship is not for everyone we LOVED the Edge LOVED our IV. We are booked in an IV on the Apex for January 2021 with several cruises in the M class and S class in between. To make the assumption that all older seasoned cruisers are turned off by Edge class is wrong.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, chuly said:

We are in our 70s. Have taken almost 100 Cruises In the Last 47 years on many different lines beginning with our honeymoon on RC Song of Norway. Sailed on the Old Celebrity Ships, All the C class M class and S class and sailed Edge in January. While we respect all opinions and understand the ship is not for everyone we LOVED the Edge LOVED our IV. We are booked in an IV on the Apex for January 2021 with several cruises in the M class and S class in between. To make the assumption that all older seasoned cruisers are turned off by Edge class is wrong.  

I totally agree that no ship is for everyone...my DH and I are excited for our TA at the end of this month, and i have read so many reviews too; however, experiencing it for myself is the only way to do it, IMHO.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, chuly said:

I think it's that while a wide variety of people like it and give positive reviews about the Edge, the negative reviews come from a fairly narrow demographic.  So it's not most the elite+ members don't like it, but that most people who don't like it are elite+ members.

We are Edge now. After reading all the reviews and comments on Edge after she launched last Fall we almost cancelled this cruise. WHAT A BIG MISTAKE THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN!

Edge is an amazing ship. Yes current prices are high but we booked early on and we think it’s the best Celebrity ship we have been on (we have sailed on every ship except for Infinity). 

I think there are some things that Celebrity can do to improve the experience on Edge but overall their have done a great job and have a great crew on this ship!!!

1 minute ago, UnorigionalName said:

I think it's that while a wide variety of people like it and give positive reviews about the Edge, the negative reviews come from a fairly narrow demographic.  So it's not most the elite+ members don't like it, but that most people who don't like it are elite+ members.

I think it’s also not just the ship that pax are opposed to but more about the available cabins. Can’t say I don’t like the ship because I’ve never sailed on her, but I can say that I wouldn’t pay the prices for a cabin that I personally don’t class as being a true balcony cabin. Yes, I could stay in an SV, but again, I wouldn’t pay the prices X are currently asking just to say I’d been on that ship when there are so many other ships out there that are visiting the places I want to go.

Would I want to be in mainland Europe in the height of the summer and not be able to go out on my balcony. Me personally, no. For one thing, as soon as the window is dropped and the a/c goes off, the heat would be very oppressive. I want to be able to feel the breeze on my face sitting on my own balcony and not up top fighting for sun beds. Sailing in the winter in the Caribbean is a totally different ballgame. It’s all about personal preference and what personal value you see in a product.

59 minutes ago, chuly said:

The only thing we noticed was the entertainment tended to be directed to a younger audience and we noticed some people either getting up and leaving the shows or not enjoying themselves. The Frankie Valli tribute band got a great reaction from the crowd. I knew the songs and enjoyed them, but the singers were just ok, not as good as the Celebrity singers. My wife really didn’t care much for this group and we ended up not watching their matinee show the next day. Of course like me there are some that like all kinds of music and probably enjoyed all the shows.

My thoughts is the ship ship has a little something for everyone, the music early on however has been targeting a younger crowd that isn’t really on the ship. 

21 hours ago, Oville said:

Not sure I can agree.  Some who have sailed on Edge, not all, were unhappy. Unfortunately the biggest criticisms seem to come from those who have not yet sailed on this ship. I totally respect the views of Edge cruisers, it is the naysayers who have not and never will step onboard that drive me nuts.

Sunday we return on Edge for the 3rd time, trust me I will give an honest assessment.

As a long time Celebrity cruiser, & a retiree on a fixed income, I can safely say that I will not be sailing an Edge class ship, especially at premium prices. We sail in Balcony rooms & Edge does not offer any. If that makes me a naysayer, so be it.

• Like 1