If the Border Is Shut Down, Can We Re-enter Country?

3 hours ago, Cruiseathoning said:

What are the consequences if this border is shut down?  Will we be allowed entry to Mexico?  Will we be re-routed to a Pacific Coastal?  What if we go to Mexico, it shuts down, and when we return we are denied entry?

"Closing the border" in the President's view, is closing land border crossing stations.  It would not affect your port of embarkation, and certainly the Mexican ports would not be affected.  Are you talking about a land crossing?

8 minutes ago, spookwife said:

Cheng, aren't there a couple of cruises where they bus you over the Border at TJ ?  I seem to vaguely recall something along that line when we were stationed in San Diego.  

I think those are one way cruises to Hawaii or California coastal.  So, yes those would be affected by the land border closure.

7 hours ago, Cruiseathoning said:

What are the consequences if this border is shut down?  Will we be allowed entry to Mexico?  Will we be re-routed to a Pacific Coastal?  What if we go to Mexico, it shuts down, and when we return we are denied entry?

I guess you'll need to learn to speak Spanish. 

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Cruiseathoning said:

Fly to Canada and enter the US from there. Winters almost over so the time is right for a visit.

5 hours ago, spookwife said:

Cheng, aren't there a couple of cruises where they bus you over the Border at TJ ?  I seem to vaguely recall something along that line when we were stationed in San Diego.  

Do they still do that ??

7 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I think those are one way cruises to Hawaii or California coastal.  So, yes those would be affected by the land border closure.

Hmmm...they can stop US citizens from entering ?

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Hmmm...they can stop US citizens from entering ?

What closing the border means in this instance is that they will remove CBP agent from the border crossing points, and then who will be there to determine whether anyone in line is a citizen or not?

5 hours ago, SRF said:

Touching a dock has nothing to do with it.  Once the ship enters the country's waters, you have entered the country.

Are you really sure about this? I thought that the short stop in Mexico on California-Hawaii cruises and in Canada on Alskacruises was to get to a foreign port. I guess I was wrong. 

5 hours ago, SRF said:

Touching a dock has nothing to do with it.  Once the ship enters the country's waters, you have entered the country.

Never had it happen to me, can only go by what has been posted. More than once the return leg Hawaii-Los Angeles/Long Beach have uncounted propulsion issues. Each time the ship has proceeded to Ensenada. Ship touched the dock, didn't tie up and immediately backed off and made for the SoCal port. Have no idea of the legality, just the fact that in real life they have kissed the dock.

11 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

What closing the border means in this instance is that they will remove CBP agent from the border crossing points, and then who will be there to determine whether anyone in line is a citizen or not?

Most of the time I agree with your posts,  but this is not correct.  CBP agents will still be present and ONLY US citizens will be allowed to cross.  No migrants, no refugees, no asylum seekers.   Got this info directly from the CBP

4 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Never had it happen to me, can only go by what has been posted. More than once the return leg Hawaii-Los Angeles/Long Beach have uncounted propulsion issues. Each time the ship has proceeded to Ensenada. Ship touched the dock, didn't tie up and immediately backed off and made for the SoCal port. Have no idea of the legality, just the fact that in real life they have kissed the dock.

Those were not "propulsion issues", they were scheduled stops to satisfy the PVSA.  They entered the port, typically late at night, just long enough for the customs and immigration officials to clear the ship into and back out of Mexico (had nothing to do with touching the dock), so that the PVSA requirement for "visiting" a foreign port was met.  This is what NCL was complaining about back in 2006 or 2008 when they asked CBP to enforce the "intent" of the PVSA, not just the "letter" of the law.

8 hours ago, crazyank said:

Most of the time I agree with your posts,  but this is not correct.  CBP agents will still be present and ONLY US citizens will be allowed to cross.  No migrants, no refugees, no asylum seekers.   Got this info directly from the CBP

Please  cite your source.    

Last time the border was "closed", lines at San Ysidro crossing grew to 7 hours.  This effects the US citizens living in Mexico and crossing to the US daily for work.  

Personally, I hope Mexico does "tit for tat" and closes it's Northern border just like the US does.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander.  

I'm still waiting for the US Northern border to be strengthened - illegals and terrorists cross there, also...

10 hours ago, crazyank said:

CBP agents will still be present and ONLY US citizens will be allowed to cross.  No migrants, no refugees, no asylum seekers.   Got this info directly from the CBP

The way it should be. Why have border and laws if anyone can simply invite himself in and stay?

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Those were not "propulsion issues", they were scheduled stops to satisfy the PVSA.  

You missed the point, those ships had speed problems. Instead of heading for Tijuana and making a left, they take five hours to hit the dock at Ensenada. 

50 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

This is a cruise forum, not a political discussion forum.

Does that mean we also can't talk about weather that affects our cruises because "this is a cruise forum" and not a weather discussion forum? 

14 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Please  cite your source.    

Last time the border was "closed", lines at San Ysidro crossing grew to 7 hours.  This effects the US citizens living in Mexico and crossing to the US daily for work.  

Personally, I hope Mexico does "tit for tat" and closes it's Northern border just like the US does.  What's good for the goose is good for the gander.  

I'm still waiting for the US Northern border to be strengthened - illegals and terrorists cross there, also...

My source is a CBP agent who is a close friend and no I will not give you his name.  Yes the closure you refer to had long lines.  But US citizens were allowed entry.

• Like 1

I asked a question related to how it affects my family and our cruise if the border is shut down.  I did not offer my political opinions on it nor did I request any.

I submit that any matter of national security that can affect the procedures of a cruise it is a pertinent question relevant to this site.  

17 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Wait no longer.......

I present the Northern Wall!!!!

13border-01-articleLarge.jpg

OK, OK, It's actually our Southern Wall.

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 6

On 4/3/2019 at 3:43 AM, crazyank said:

Chengkp75 was not incorrect.  Of course some will remain back.  They're not going to just abandon the ports of entry.  However, the majority will be reassigned to unsecured portions of the border.  

7 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Wait no longer.......

I present the Northern Wall!!!!

13border-01-articleLarge.jpg

OK, OK, It's actually our Southern Wall.

😄 that showed her .....