Traffic in NOLA / Saturday morning. (Other questions)

Vacationdreamer<><

With thanks to @Saint Greg for his suggestion, I am reposting my question over here.

Our cruise leaves from NOLA on a Saturday. 

We will be leaving our house in NY on Thursday evening and driving directly to the greater NOLA area.  I am considering staying in the Laplace or Boutte region (to maybe see a plantation before embarking) vs. a hotel in Slidell or a hotel in Gretna.

What is traffic like in the area?  Is it utterly impractical to stay west of the city to see a plantation prior to boarding?  It looks like Evergreen Plantation is 65 minutes from port.  Ideally we would be at Evergreen when it opened at 9AM, tour til 11:30 then get to port by 1:00 P.M.  Is this reasonable?

If this is too much, is there anything anyone can recommend to do in Slidell or Gretna areas with some regional flair?

We are a family of me, DH, kids 19, 17, 15, 13, 9, 6.

Unless there is some major event going on, Saturday traffic is fairly mild. You can get traffic reports here:

www.wwltv.com

There is no "regional flair" in Slidell or Gretna that I can think of. Gretna is a lot closer to downtown and the French Quarter than Slidell. Same with Laplace and Boutte, but as long as you are just looking for a place to spend the night, any of them would  work.The plantation tour should fit into your schedule.

• Thanks 1