Oasis Transatlantic Cruise has been cancelled

13 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

"act of god" vs. a decision Royal made causing the cruise to be cancelled

(and by decision Royal made I mean they chose where to send the ship to get worked on)

You reasoning sounds like a bit of a stretch.  Don't they also choose where to sail the ship (that just might happen to be where it would be impacted by a hurricane) just like they chose where to send it to be worked on?

Edited by time4u2go

12 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Travel insurance will not work in this situation and most people are stuck with expensive non-refundable flights!

Giving $400 for the flights is a bad joke!👎🖕

I hope you realize they aren't actually 'giving' you $400 for flights.  They are allowing you to submit receipts from your airlines to cover the change fees if you needed to book new flights for a newly scheduled vacation.  Almost every airline will let you move the cost of your original flight over to new flights, but with a change fee......which most charge $200 for if it's domestic/$400 if international.   In the letter is clearly states that you must submit your receipts showing you paid those change fees to the airline when you moved flights to accommodate a new travel schedule. If the airline only charges you $100 to change, that's all royal will give you. $200 and $400 are the cap on fee reimbursement.  Here's the paragraph where it lays it out:  

Plus, if you reserved your air with our Air2Sea Program, we’ll provide you with a refund. If you didn’t book your air with us, we’ll reimburse you for non-refundable airline change fees (up to $200 per guest for Domestic flights and up to $400 per guest for International flights). Please email us your receipts to RoyalGuestRelations@rccl.com.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

It's a lovely musical that debuted in the West End in 1981

I saw it in Edinburgh late 1980s. I know you get teased mercilessly about how much you like it, so I will say that I am totally on your side. I really enjoyed it. So much so that I bought the video. On VHS!!! luckily I still have a working video player! :classic_laugh:

I did not get to see it on Oasis because when I sailed Oasis it still had Hairspray. I would much have preferred cats. 

Just now, rockmom said:

I hope you realize they aren't actually 'giving' you $400 for flights.  They are allowing you to submit receipts from your airlines to cover the change fees if you needed to book new flights for a newly scheduled vacation.  Almost every airline will let you move the cost of your original flight over to new flights, but with a change fee......which most charge $200 for if it's domestic/$400 if international.   In the letter is clearly states that you must submit your receipts showing you paid those change fees to the airline when you moved flights to accommodate a new travel schedule. If the airline only charges you $100 to change, that's all royal will give you. $200 and $400 are the cap on fee reimbursement.  Here's the paragraph where it lays it out:  

Royal can never do right by him but he keeps coming back for more.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, time4u2go said:

You reasoning sounds like a bit of a stretch.  Don't they also choose where to sail the ship (that just might happen to be where it would be impacted by a hurricane) just like they chose where to send it to be worked on?

I gave you the actual reasoning. Being argumentative won't change it. Acts of god are treated differently. 

1 hour ago, FionaMG said:

I saw it in Edinburgh late 1980s. I know you get teased mercilessly about how much you like it, so I will say that I am totally on your side. I really enjoyed it. So much so that I bought the video. On VHS!!! luckily I still have a working video player! :classic_laugh:

I did not get to see it on Oasis because when I sailed Oasis it still had Hairspray. I would much have preferred cats. 

It's all good, I enjoy the critiques.

There is a new movie out in December. All star cast 

On 4/3/2019 at 1:20 PM, cruiseguy1016 said:

Accidents happen. RCI was in no way responsible for this unfortunate situation. I think RCI has stepped up and gone way beyond what should have been expected of them. They have refunded the total cost of the cancelled cruise. They have offered to pay any change fees from the airlines. On top of that, they are giving a cruise credit equal to what you had paid for the cancelled cruise! I'm sure I would be very upset if my cruise was cancelled. However, to receive this much compensation from RCI, for something that was totally out of their control, I would be very grateful. RCI gets a lot of grief over the way they handle some things. I think they deserve major kudos for this one!

I agree! We were cancelled by Celebrity one week before Easter due to mechanical problems on the Summit. Celebrity gave us a refund and a future cruise credit only worth 25 percent of your cruise fare and it could only be used for 4  sailings that they couldn’t sell.  It was very disappointing and I thought Celebrity should have been more generous with the compensation. 

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

I honestly enjoy it. 

So you like it and nobody else on here does?

Sorry, I'm the other side of the pond and I'm not sure if I'm missing something in translation 🤷‍♀️

edit .. apart from Merion_Mom who also enjoys it.

Edited by livylotte

6 hours ago, rockmom said:

Almost every airline will let you move the cost of your original flight over to new flights, but with a change fee......which most charge $200 for if it's domestic/$400 if international. 

Not true for European Airlines most will NOT allow to change a ticket on the lower booking classes.... also we are talking about 2 very different one-way tickets... the rule is they will just  turn into nothing! 🙄

The FCC we got only  reflects 85% of the fare we paid!

I knew Royal was going to use some funny maths on this too... 👎

2 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Not true for European Airlines most will NOT allow to change a ticket on the lower booking classes.... also we are talking about 2 very different one-way tickets... the rule is they will just  turn into nothing! 🙄

What happened to all your lovely EU consumer protections 🤔🤣

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

The FCC we got only  reflects 85% of the fare we paid!

I knew Royal was going to use some funny maths on this too... 👎

Is the missing 15% the port fees/taxes. 🤔

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What happened to all your lovely EU consumer protections 🤔🤣

that has nothing to do with that has nothing to do with Consumer Protection and you know that don't be silly! 🙄

I quoted earlier what Royal would have to pay if you would have booked through them in Europe much much more than what they are giving now...  🙄

Just now, Thorben-Hendrik said:

that has nothing to do with that has nothing to do with Consumer Protection and you know that don't be silly! 🙄

I quoted earlier what Royal would have to pay if you would have booked through them in Europe much much more than what they are giving now...  🙄

I have no idea what consumer protections the EU is doing lately. Your always bragging how great things are over there. Seems like something they'd get behind.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

I have no idea what consumer protections the EU is doing lately. Your always bragging how great things are over there. Seems like something they'd get behind.

Not really  as I said for European customers Royal has to pay 250% in cash plus all flights then cannot be used👍

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

The synopsis of CATS from my February sailing.

It starts at post #496

enjoy

I was told this week that Cats is going to stay on the Oasis, but they will be bringing a shorter version of it.  90 minutes.   

I'm very pleased with my refund and 100% FCC which as claimed is based on cruise fare only, not including taxes and port fees.  

I would have preferred to have taken the cruise as booked, and while not an 'Act of God' (which is really a totally inaccurate phrase) this was an accident.  

I am interested to know what is offered to guests who booked the same sailing on a non-US website, subject to regional regulations such as the EU.  "FCC" may not meet requirements of EU consumer protection requirements.  Which is right or wrong, better or worse isn't what I seek, just a simple understanding of what is extended to anyone who booked on an EU contract rather than a US contract.