Oasis Transatlantic Cruise has been cancelled

I really feel for RCL, broken ship plus 3 cruises cancelled (I was on the transatlantic, REALLY looking forward to that one).  Yes, they have been very generous, already got my FCC and applied it to another cruise.  However (am I greedy?) would like to have had my OBC credited to my next cruise, but apparently that is not to be.  However, still a RCL fan and probably will always be (great entertainment, ships, etc).

27 minutes ago, volk904 said:

Royal has lots of transatlantic cruises and I doubt the others are sold out.  Why not Just book another with your credit.  

They are definitely filling up, plus not all go to Barcelona.  

5 hours ago, wytygr8 said:

It’s easy to do the right thing when someone else’s insurance is paying for it.

Given that Royal owns the ship and 40% of the shipyard, plus they may be self insured, who is this "someone else's" insurance company?

33 minutes ago, twangster said:

Given that Royal owns the ship and 40% of the shipyard, plus they may be self insured, who is this "someone else's" insurance company?

Large companies like this are usually self insured. 

1 hour ago, volk904 said:

Royal has lots of transatlantic cruises and I doubt the others are sold out.  Why not Just book another with your credit.  

Maybe because the folks have flights to the US in two weeks and the other TA cruises are earlier (Jewel just arrived) or later? 😉

And maybe the folks are not retired and have to plan their vacation...

steamboats

• Like 1

@Thorben-Hendrik You should have received a new FCC in Euro covering the full price (including taxes & fees). That´s what I just read in a German FB group.

As an explanation: Here in Europe the prices have to include everything (by law). So we don´t have any invoices showing port fees or taxes. Cabin price or cruise fare is the amount shown on the website - nothing added when you click "buy".

steamboats

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

Maybe because the folks have flights to the US in two weeks and the other TA cruises are earlier (Jewel just arrived) or later? 😉

steamboats

Europeans do not plan their vacations...according to the Americans on this board......🙄😜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, steamboats said:

@Thorben-Hendrik You should have received a new FCC in Euro covering the full price (including taxes & fees). That´s what I just read in a German FB group.

As an explanation: Here in Europe the prices have to include everything (by law). So we don´t have any invoices showing port fees or taxes. Cabin price or cruise fare is the amount shown on the website - nothing added when you click "buy".

steamboats

Thank you - but I got my FCC in $ - taxes as I booked in the US....😱😇

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

You know sometimes retired people have to plan their vacations.  😉😇

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

Then why did you book that way, possibly a cheaper price.

You can´t have both... cheaper US price and German consumer protection laws...

That´s what I always mention when someone is asking "can I book in the US"... If something´s going wrong you have to deal with US laws and not with German laws and the German call center can´t help you at all as they can´t even acess your booking.

steamboats

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, steamboats said:

You can´t have both... cheaper US price and German consumer protection laws...

That´s what I always mention when someone is asking "can I book in the US"... If something´s going wrong you have to deal with US laws and not with German laws and the German call center can´t help you at all as they can´t even acess your booking.

steamboats

Absolutely agree!👍

Interesting that Royal owns 40% of the Grand Bah. Ship yard.  I had not heard that before.  That said with a split partnership and the liabilities involved with working on cruise ships from all lines I tend to believe they were not totally self insured.  

I would also point out again the if Royal owns 40% it is time for them to push for a floating or regalar drydock large enough for the Oasis  class and larger ships.  Royal will soon have 5 and there is at least 5-6 similar or larger ships on order for other lines.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

RCI will do fine.....don't worry!🙄

Wasn’t worried, just curious...  

I guess there is one thing I'm

worried about... I hope they don’t cut any of their fall refurb plans!!  I was really hoping to see a bunch of new features on Oasis in Feb...

Edited by vacationlover_mn

5 hours ago, vacationlover_mn said:

I am curious about 3 things- does RCI have insurance that will cover all of their costs/losses?  What is the net cost/loss of these cancellations & the accident?  How much did RCI lose because of this?

This is from their annual filing.  I will also post the link to the ring.  Insurance details are on pages 14 and 15.  They may have coverage for the physical damage however I doubt based on this that they have coverage for the cancelled cruises.

“We do not carry business interruption insurance for our ships based on our evaluation of the risks involved and protective measures already in place, as compared to the cost of insurance.”

http://app.quotemedia.com/data/downloadFiling?webmasterId=101533&ref=12730403&type=PDF&symbol=RCL&companyName=Royal+Caribbean+Cruises+Ltd.&formType=10-K&dateFiled=2019-02-22