Oasis Transatlantic Cruise has been cancelled

1 hour ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Only under US law they can get away with that.... 🙄

Other countries have a totally different perspective on what! 👍

Not trying to pick a fight, just curious.  Why didn't you book in your home country?  

Edited by twangster
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Not trying to pick a fight, just curious.  Why didn't you book in your home country?  

14 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

He's admitted elsewhere, cause it was cheaper to book in the US. 

It’s cheaper than his home country due to the government consumer protection laws which raise the costs.  That however would have protected him in this situation had he booked at home. 

It was a calculated risk which cost this time, even with refunds and change fees from RC.  Probably 99% of the time there are no issues, but who would have ever expected what happened to Oasis. I guess insurance or government consumer protection isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Self insuring can have risks, one just needs to know if they can afford the potential loss. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone have a link to the European laws concerning this. The ones I could find seemed to be referring more to ferries or last minute cancellations. They only mention food and a hotel stay. Nothing about replacing your vacation. 

1 hour ago, fsjosh said:

Does anyone have a link to the European laws concerning this. The ones I could find seemed to be referring more to ferries or last minute cancellations. They only mention food and a hotel stay. Nothing about replacing your vacation. 

It is in the liability law of doing business and not delivering what was contracted - you will have the obligation to provide the service using a substitute + a compensation which is set to 150% of the value eg the cruise fare... so the minimum payout is 100% + 150%....assuming the sub gets the same amount...

2 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

It’s cheaper than his home country due to the government consumer protection laws which raise the costs.  That however would have protected him in this situation had he booked at home. 

It was a calculated risk which cost this time, even with refunds and change fees from RC.  Probably 99% of the time there are no issues, but who would have ever expected what happened to Oasis. I guess insurance or government consumer protection isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Self insuring can have risks, one just needs to know if they can afford the potential loss. 

Point ist RCI is becoming increasingly an unreliable business partner.... miscalculated drydocks, improper repairs, charters, unsafe broken Sky Pads... you name it! 🙄

It becomes more and more common.... the frequency is increasing dramatically .... because it does not pay for RCI to be cautious! 👎

They get away too cheap!

Best example is the introduction of EU261 since it was introduced - EU Airlines improved dramatically - because they had to get their act together.... else they get hit severely where it really hurts them! 👍

Edited by Thorben-Hendrik

8 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

The ruined everybodys vacation!

Of course they need to give the money back when they do not deliver the service - how can you even mention this?🙄

We are loosing thousands because they were negligeant!👎

The FCC does not cover much of it....there is more than the flights....

They are lucky we did not book in the EU🙄 else they would have to pay every penny they cost us....including a new vacation!👍

YOU decided to book through a US TA, so YOU decided to follow the compensation rules that are applicable to that type of booking.  YOU decided to self-insure to save some money by booking through a US TA instead of booking through RCCL EU website/or EU TA, just to save you some money for this particular trip.

You can't have it both ways, if you want EU consumer protection laws, book in the EU at higher prices.  If you want to save money and forgo EU consumer protection laws, book in the US.  It looks like you prefer to take the latter option and in this case you lost your bet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

The ruined everybodys vacation!

Of course they need to give the money back when they do not deliver the service - how can you even mention this?🙄

We are loosing thousands because they were negligeant!👎

The FCC does not cover much of it....there is more than the flights....

They are lucky we did not book in the EU🙄 else they would have to pay every penny they cost us....including a new vacation!👍

Seriously 🤔 I thought you book cruises hoping they get cancelled.  

Karma's a *****. 😉

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, ShillyShally said:

Granted I don't know what each country may be obligated to do but I don't see how any company is obligated to cover more than what someone lost from them directly.  In this case Royal completely refunded what was paid to them AND offered additional comp in the form of a FCC.  Insurance is there to cover additional costs but few carriers will ever cover costs out of their purview - every passenger has different ways to get to a cruise and varying costs - how would anyone be able to do business if they had to cover against costs completely out of their control?  Not everyone flies to port, not everyone stays a night in advance, or rents a car, or any of it.  I protect against these costs through insurance based on what I am willing to lose but I would never expect a cruise carrier to refund any costs other than what I paid them for.

#nannystate

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

Point ist RCI is becoming increasingly an unreliable business partner.... miscalculated drydocks, improper repairs, charters, unsafe broken Sky Pads... you name it! 🙄

It becomes more and more common.... the frequency is increasing dramatically .... because it does not pay for RCI to be cautious! 👎

They get away too cheap!

Best example is the introduction of EU261 since it was introduced - EU Airlines improved dramatically - because they had to get their act together.... else they get hit severely where it really hurts them! 👍

Seeing as you know the future you are taking an even larger calculated risk, especially as your are in control of your own risk management.  To complain here after the fact is fruitless, however it is your favourite pastime. 😉

All that being said hopefully your next ship has short lines lines for the wave. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

They get away too cheap!

It's a wonder someone in your position would ever purchase from such a company.  Let us know which cruise line you choose for your next vacation.  i mean this sincerely.  The grass often appears greener over the fence.  Let us know if that is true so we can join you over there.  

We too here in the US have had governments who thinks they can "fix" things by creating law.  In the airline industry that has caused some improvements but also led to more cancellations.  I experienced one this week.  Good thing government always knows best.  

34 minutes ago, twangster said:

We too here in the US have had governments who thinks they can "fix" things by creating law.  In the airline industry that has caused some improvements but also led to more cancellations.  I experienced one this week.  Good thing government always knows best.  

Your law approach was just silly.... if it is done right - it works! 👍

5 hours ago, A&L_Ont said:

😉

All that being said hopefully your next ship has short lines lines for the wave. 

Not only a ship... 😁

.. I went all in! 😂🙃😆

But hope for short lines too.... but it looks good! 👍 🙃

6 hours ago, gatour said:

YOU decided to book through a US TA, so YOU decided to follow the compensation rules that are applicable to that type of booking.  YOU decided to self-insure to save some money by booking through a US TA instead of booking through RCCL EU website/or EU TA, just to save you some money for this particular trip.

You can't have it both ways, if you want EU consumer protection laws, book in the EU at higher prices.  If you want to save money and forgo EU consumer protection laws, book in the US.  It looks like you prefer to take the latter option and in this case you lost your bet.

Yep! 👍

I guess doing business with RCI does count as a bet these days! 🙄

50 minutes ago, Big_G said:

...and I'm betting you weren't even booked on that cruise.

I have no dog in this fight and know what this person can be like - however, I was due to be on the TA and can actually vouch for the fact that he posted on the roll call a long long time ago so he was actually booked on it.

4 minutes ago, Bobal said:

I have no dog in this fight and know what this person can be like - however, I was due to be on the TA and can actually vouch for the fact that he posted on the roll call a long long time ago so he was actually booked on it.

Thanks. Sorry about your cancellation.

• Thanks 1

Helps to minimize the $ risk on the ones I want to take.... 👍😁

No, you do it to earn OBC/FCC. 

You brag about it endlessly.

Just own it

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2