RCCL Continues to Minimize Customer Loyalty and Customer Service

6 hours ago, billcancel said:

I have made every attempt to work with RCCL to help them improve and they have not done anything to make things better

Since you're done with Royal Caribbean, maybe you can start working with General Motors on their product quality.  I'm sure their team is eagerly awaiting your input.  Amazon too, they must be anxious for your thoughts on improved customer service.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, billcancel said:

The Key program was the cherry on the icing.  Doesnt feel good that after spending tons of money with them over 20+ years that they would sell my perks out.

Bill, you may not like it... but this is being done more and more in the travel industry.  For example, airlines now offer flight options and annual subscriptions for various benefits that were previously only available to preferred / premium fliers: preferred seating, premium membership, free / priority baggage check, etc.  Hotels offer options for late checkout that were previously only open for preferred / premiere guests.  If the market demand is there, why shouldn't RCI take advantage of it to both meet customer expectations *and* increase profitability?

Making a personal decision on patronage based on your observations of customer service is one thing, but extrapolating it out to the entire customer base is another.  Editorial comment here, based on my experience in a large customer support org: there is some good data to support that negative impressions are based more on the effort that the customer has to expend in getting support to reach a mutually acceptable outcome, as opposed to the customer's desired outcome.  Based on what you've shared about having to deal with the C-suite to address issues, I wonder if that's not the case here?  If you or anyone is interested, you might Google "Effortless Experience"... here's a good summary to start (https://www.gartner.com/en/sales-service/insights/effortless-experience).

Happy sailing...           --bruce T.

• Like 2

The Key is an enhancement or ancillary akin to the Airline lounge at airports. If you like the benefits then you can purchase it if not then you dont purchase it. No effect to your loyalty to Royal. Just think of it as a VIP experience. 

6 hours ago, brillohead said:

Wow, way to flounce!

Can you name what Diamond Perks you're losing because of the Key Program?  

Yeah, I didn't think so.....

Exactly no  perks are lost. The OP may not be happy but he does not need to whine. I love being able to chose from the competition. I don't like flying on Low Cost Airlines or Basic Economy so I'll pay more to avoid it. I like  The Key benefits with Royal but it eats into the budget so I'll weigh the cost and besides its not on all ships. On a large ship like Oasis you betcha its worth it but not so much on a Radiance Class ship except for the internet. 

2 hours ago, Bee Guy said:

I will never reach P either, but it seems to me that D gets the best ratio of rewards to cost.  I reach D+ next cruise and as far as I can see my biggest gain in a free bag of laundry. 

Agreed. I'm happy with Diamond anything above it is a nice bonus but not for a $30! dolar bag of free laundry but a free Cruise Air round-trip flight in a Premium Cabin  now that's something I'll take 

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

A flounce is when you make a big dramatic event out of something for the sole purpose of getting attention.  That's what your post is.

As for Diamond/Diamond Plus perks that they are "letting people pay for", the only thing I see is getting on board ten minutes earlier on embarkation day, and reserved seating in the theater.  The Key DOES NOT provide:

Exclusive Top Tier Event

Robes for use onboard 

Signature Lapel Pin

Welcome Waters & Snack + Beverage Selection

Chef’s Choice Gift/Amenity

Priority wait list for Shore Excursions/VitalitySM Spa services

Diamond Club (on select ships) 

Exclusive Nightly Diamond Event (or three free drinks in any bar)

Daily breakfast with specialty coffee

Entertainment Tour

Behind the Scenes Tours

Personalized Gift/Amenity (per household)

Meal with an Officer for members with 340 or more cruise points

Upgraded bathroom amenities for members with 340 or more cruise points

Bonus Gift for members with 340 or more cruise points (per household)

Bonus Gift for members with 525 or more cruise points (per household) 

Plus all the on-board things like BOGO drinks, Johnny Rockets, dinners, etc.

So, I don't see how they're giving "all the Diamond perks" away to people for $25/day like you're claiming.

You're a flouncer.  Deal with it.

I totally agree,there is no way anyone can compare D,D+ benefits with Key.

Key is a money maker for Royal for people who want to pay for a few benefits other low loyalty members don't get.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, billcancel said:

Im writing this to see if other loyal RCCL customers have experienced  drop in customer service over the last few years.  I cruise on average 4 times a years and have been exclusive to RCCL for 20+ years.  Over last 5 years I have noticed serious drops in customer service. I have made every attempt to work with RCCL to help them improve and they have not done anything to make things better and have just dismissed my concerns. Now to make matters worse they are selling my diamond plus perks to new cruisers with this new "KEY" Program.  I am do disgusted as to how RCCL handled this that I cancelled my most recent cruise and will never cruise with them again. Is anyone else experiencing this? If so please share here so that we can perhaps get RCCL to start listening. Dam shame that after 20+ years of being a loyal customer to RCCL have been dismissed by them. And my parting "spanking" from RCCL for cancelling was a $500 penalty.  They are giving me $300 in FUTURE Cruise credits for cancelling. Not sure why I need future cruise credits since i will never sail with them again.  Most disturbing and really intrigued to see if others are feeling the same or have experienced this drop in customer service.  Kind Regards.

Poor you! Another disgruntled cruiser blaming the KEY for ruining your cruise experience. Lucky there are many other cruise lines you can cruise with and I'm sure they will be happy to have you especially if you are fortunate enough to cruise 4 times a year.

Edited by blueridgemama
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

192fdf5e12bda2725cbb02e61869848b.jpg

Trolls are so much fun ... ok ... NOT

6 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I totally agree,there is no way anyone can compare D,D+ benefits with Key.

Key is a money maker for Royal for people who want to pay for a few benefits other low loyalty members don't get.

much like Carnivals FTTF a real money maker, some love it some hate

7 hours ago, bouhunter said:

Since you're done with Royal Caribbean, maybe you can start working with General Motors on their product quality.  I'm sure their team is eagerly awaiting your input.  Amazon too, they must be anxious for your thoughts on improved customer service.

Hi don't forget Comcast...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Hmmmmm  So as Diamond Plus I get things for free that others might get if they pay for a suite or The Key (though as other pointed out, there really is minimal crossover with the key, but let's pretend it was exactly the same perks as D+).   Sounds like a winner for me and a nice way to reward my loyalty to the brand: giving me, for free, what others pay for

Oh, you have paid for those perks whether it is the number of cruises you have taken or the suites you booked.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, billcancel said:

Im writing this to see if other loyal RCCL customers have experienced  drop in customer service over the last few years.  I cruise on average 4 times a years and have been exclusive to RCCL for 20+ years.  Over last 5 years I have noticed serious drops in customer service. I have made every attempt to work with RCCL to help them improve and they have not done anything to make things better and have just dismissed my concerns. Now to make matters worse they are selling my diamond plus perks to new cruisers with this new "KEY" Program.  I am do disgusted as to how RCCL handled this that I cancelled my most recent cruise and will never cruise with them again. Is anyone else experiencing this? If so please share here so that we can perhaps get RCCL to start listening. Dam shame that after 20+ years of being a loyal customer to RCCL have been dismissed by them. And my parting "spanking" from RCCL for cancelling was a $500 penalty.  They are giving me $300 in FUTURE Cruise credits for cancelling. Not sure why I need future cruise credits since i will never sail with them again.  Most disturbing and really intrigued to see if others are feeling the same or have experienced this drop in customer service.  Kind Regards.

That's what you can get with putting all your eggs into one basket and yes it does suck that they are cutting the benefits. I can't speak about the Key, because I have never looked into it. We are beginning to venture out to other cruise lines because there are more good fish in the seas. You should have also. This may sound cold, but that's how I see it.

Edited by ReneeFLL

15 hours ago, billcancel said:

Yes there is a drop in Royal's customer service at times,  but after endless trials with MSC's HORRIBLE and AWFUL customer service on land, we appreciate Royal's. 

And I have to agree with you that the Key gets a couple of preferences over D+ but not a complete override. If I pay for a Chops lunch and internet out of pocket, I still make out better as a D+ than having to spend $24 per person per day. So don't let get you upset. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, brillohead said:

Wow, way to flounce!

Can you name what Diamond Perks you're losing because of the Key Program?  

Yeah, I didn't think so.....

Boarding line of Diamond and up perk has been after 1st board! Unless you get there in the very beginning u r now shuffled to main line, which on Oasis last September looked to be hours long & out the door & this solo with disabilities would not have been able to stand in that line! Now it seems I have to buy the Key or stand in that line to board Harmony in September. That is what Royal has done! Now ur caught up!

2 hours ago, ggtjr said:

Oh, you have paid for those perks whether it is the number of cruises you have taken or the suites you booked.

You know, people say this a lot on this board, but I don't really agree.

I paid for the cruises I took, in the cabins I sailed in, etc.   I, being a fan of cruising and married to an even bigger fan of cruising, would have spent just as much money on just as many cruises even if no loyalty program were offered.

That said, we very much enjoy those loyalty benefits (including the laundry bag!  I'm not going to knock that one at all.) and determined quite a while ago that RCI offers the best such benefits for us.   What that means is that we find RCI, Princess and MSC all offer experiences we like at about the same price points, but the lion's share of our cruises have been on Royal so as to get these perks.  The cruise line offers us some bonus "free" upgrades to our cruise experience and in return receives (these days)100 percent of our cruising dollars instead of only 30 percent.  It's a win for them and a nice bonus that I get at no added cost (thus, I'm not paying for it).

Just my perspective on that whole issue.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ggtjr said:

Most of the time everybody pays the same rate for the same cabin. First cruise or fiftieth, makes no difference unless you get a discount for being a “Diamond” which means you pay $200 p.p. or less. The  four hours of free drinks, no extra charge. Same thing with the other perks. There we no extra charges on the previous cruises to get these perks so when did I pay for them?

Sounds like free to me.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 9:45 AM, billcancel said:

Thanks for your response.  More concerned about their reduction in customer service. The Key program was the cherry on the icing.  Doesnt feel good that after spending tons of money with them over 20+ years that they would sell my perks out.  AND even being a diamond plus passenger I cant buy a key program to enjoy pinnacle benefits.  They key program offers perks that I dont even get as a diamond plus customer.  That doesnt seem right. Thanks again for response

Why is it so hard to rest in the fact that one pays for the perks with effort of cruising the same cruiseline for years and others paying for it the fast way with dollars?

As everybody here  agrees to it you are not loosing any perks because there now is the key programme!

I think it will take one or two years more to become Diamond and will be happy about it!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Justmekaren918 said:

Boarding line of Diamond and up perk has been after 1st board! Unless you get there in the very beginning u r now shuffled to main line, which on Oasis last September looked to be hours long & out the door & this solo with disabilities would not have been able to stand in that line! Now it seems I have to buy the Key or stand in that line to board Harmony in September. That is what Royal has done! Now ur caught up!

Never had to wait hours & hours whether on Oasis or Allure.  Had no problem boarding Symphony in Feb.2 in Miami.  Got there at 11:45 and on ship by 12:10 and had to wait for wheelchair to get my wife on board.  No waiting in any long lines.

Whining, whining.  IMO, the C&A benefits are so much better than they were some 10+ years ago.  As an example-- No DL, but the evenings D events with some cheap wine and pretzels/nuts.  Beer and liquor was at 25% discount.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Most of the time everybody pays the same rate for the same cabin. First cruise or fiftieth, makes no difference unless you get a discount for being a “Diamond” which means you pay $200 p.p. or less. The  four hours of free drinks, no extra charge. Same thing with the other perks. There we no extra charges on the previous cruises to get these perks so when did I pay for them?

Sounds like free to me.

Just a slight correction, the D balcony discount is per cabin and not PP.

Surprised to see this thread still "alive".

This is all quite simple and not worthy of any controversy.

Experienced cruise passengers (Emerald, Diamond, Diamond+, Pinnacle) have paid many thousands of $$$  over time for their cruises, especially if they sailed in balcony or above cabins. They have earned various "perks" and discounts for their long-term loyalty and cruise payments.

The Key program provides a few perks to newer cruise passengers, especially targeted towards larger ship on & off times and a couple small things (Chops lunch for example) - at an optional added fee.

The 2 things are not at all the same, and the experienced passenger perks are indeed much more valuable/useful as they should be - after all - those passengers have actually paid for them over time based on their historical list of cruises.

So nothing is really "free" - it's "pay me now or pay me later" OR "pay me now for a few extra things". One has little impact towards the other. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ggtjr said:

I did not take the 27 cruises on Royal because of the perks that I would eventually get.  I went on those cruises because we enjoyed the first few cruises we ventured on and found it to be an enjoyable way to vacation.  We got good prices for the cruises we took and eventually reach levels of loyalty that came with some perks.  

If Royal found a way to charge other people for the 'perks' I get, so be it, and so be it for the cruisers who feel that what they are paying for is worth it to them.....I don't look into other peoples pockets to see what they have to spend and on what they are spending it. 

• Like 1

Been sailing RCCL since 1990. Other than missing the chocolates on pillows, and midnight buffet I think the customer service is still as great.  The only perk, I really care about is those that save me money.  Free drinks, free picture and free 24 hour wifi.  Those are free.  Everything else that I get, if someone wants to pay for it, let them as long as I get my free stuff. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

Been sailing RCCL since 1990. Other than missing the chocolates on pillows, and midnight buffet I think the customer service is still as great.  The only perk, I really care about is those that save me money.  Free drinks, free picture and free 24 hour wifi.  Those are free.  Everything else that I get, if someone wants to pay for it, let them as long as I get my free stuff. 

I don't miss the chocolates on pillows nor the midnight buffet -- since I find plenty of places to get my daily 'caloric fix' without those two things.  I further agree that DH and I care about saving money....the D and above price discount, free drinks (we are just not big enough drinkers for the drink packages), free pictures and the wifi are nice......all else is just a bonus.  With the newer terminals there is such little delay in boarding that 'priority boarding' isn't much of an issue, anymore.  Priority departure -- departing a ship is just sad, no matter how short a time it takes and we can take care of that by ourselves....not an issue at all.

Cruising is for enjoying not complaining about what someone else has to pay for.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

I agree.  We've been sailing with RCCL since the 90's also.   

I also love getting the discount in the logo shops 🙂.    We never buy the beverage package.... don't need to!  Love my perks. 

I kind of think,  well...... if some people are paying RCCL for extra perks maybe that will allow them to keep giving some FREE to loyals. Everybody is happy!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SUSIEK said:

I agree.  We've been sailing with RCCL since the 90's also.   

I also love getting the discount in the logo shops 🙂.   

Us too.  One of the first things I do once settled onboard is to visit the Logo Shop and add to the collection...we have one more added now since this photo was take last July (Ovation)...we'll add #8 (Navigator) later this year. 

Royal Caribbean Ships_070118.jpg

• Like 2