Adding land tour to an existing Alaska Cruise after final payment is due

foggyphils

Has anyone successfully added an Alaska land tour (or switched to a cruisetour) after booking just the cruise? And within the 75 day window? If so, was the pricing based on current pricing or your original booking price. 

So if you look at the first picture, Balcony (BF) and Obstructed balconies (bw) are the same price for the cruise only portion.

The second pic is the cruisetour prices. Strangely, there are big differences in balcony vs obstructed. Anyone know why that would be as I would think that part only pertains to the cruise part? Or does it also have something to do with the type of land room you would get? 

3AB65DBE-F608-4EDF-B0D6-4E69D0435604.jpeg

ACF998CE-7603-4B81-A226-D02990349B8A.jpeg

Cruise tours are limited capacity. If you want to book a cruise tour you will have to pay the cruise tour pricing. Prices go up and you are almost certainly not going to be able to use older pricing of cabins to add on a land tour. You can always call Princess and ask but don't be surprised if they say, "No".

Alaska NB/SB  in May (shoulder season) is an exception to the rule. The prices keep going down. If they track like last year, they never go back up...except for suites sometimes. (I know this is the case with cruises, not positive about cruisetours) The reason I’m interested in this cruisetour is my DIY land trip comes nowhere near the deal of the cruisetour. 

28 minutes ago, Bubbs33 said:

There are some good deals on land/rail tours now. Checkout https://www.princesslodges.com/travel-specials/alaska-rail-specials/

You could book separately.

Thanks Bubbs!

-They have some interesting tours but none from Whittier that I could find and they’re a bit more expensive.  It if I can’t do an add-on, I’ll compare it to my DIY version.

Just to give you an idea. The cruisetour above (~$400-500pp over the price of cruise only) includes 5 nights princess hotels, train, and $215 pp worth of tours (Denali NWT,  Fairbanks gold/steamwheeler/lunch tour, and Alaska Conservation Center.) 

For booking and pricing purposes a cruisetour is a single trip booking; it is not a cruise booking plus a land booking, even if the cruise portion is the same ship/date.  They are also priced as unique bookings, so it is unreliable to do the math and figure the land portion based on the current price of the cruise only rate.  It’s a combo price.   Unfortunately, that makes your idea difficult, as you would have to cancel the cruise booking and rebook as a cruisetour.  That comes with penalties,  which may or may not be offset by any price savings.

However, a DIY land tour as you describe would be perfectly fine to add to an existing cruise booking.

You can't without cancelling your cruise.

Prices do drop after final payment. You can't have the cruise and just add the tour or vice versa (drop the land tour). They are booked as a unit.

You can do your own land trip.