Silver Origin - Photo looks like a Celebrity Infinite Veranda

hubofhockey

Found this image, artist's rendering of Silver Origin.  This ship, being built now, was originally going to be a sister ship to the Celebrity Flora.  This picture looks as if it might have that infinite balcony that the Flora will have that started on the Celebrity Edge.  The infinite balcony is basically a partitioned section of the suite near a window that opens electronically to give a balcony "feel".  

D3EmqqWWwAU872W.jpg

From this tweet:

Monday news flash! @Silversea will build a new #luxury expedition ship called Silver Origin, which will cruise the #GalapagosIslands in 2020. The new vessel will have a pioneering design providing a better & more immersive experience for guests #ELA2019 #exhibitornews #LATAM

Maybe it's a little different in that it's a separate area with balcony furniture and windows opens electronically at a length to make it like a balcony.  I'd rather have a regular balcony, but not sure they can do that on all cabins on these 100-passenger ships.  

Silversea hasn't released any details on this ship which is set to be placed in service in eleven months.  I would think the basic design would be similar to the Flora, but public rooms would be more Silversea than Celebrity.  

8 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

Maybe it's a little different in that it's a separate area with balcony furniture and windows opens electronically at a length to make it like a balcony.

Silversea hasn't released any details on this ship which is set to be placed in service in eleven months.  

That's the part I don't understand, "at a length to make it 'like' a balcony".  I have always assumed "at a length" meant sliding to the left or right and disappearing into a wall.  But, such a concept isn't possible on a ship, yet in the artist's rendering there is no window or glass at all.  So, is the glass folding into the suite?

And, considering the fuss that was made over the Muse prior to and during its construction period, it is a bit perplexing as to why such little information exists on the Origin, as well as the Moon.

Edited by Stumblefoot

The end of the room looks like one big window.  It's two pieces of glass and top part electronically goes up.  This is supposed to be particular to Celebrity and was rolled out on the Edge and then the Flora.  It would be very strange if they put this on the Origin if only because Royal Caribbean wants the ships to be a little different.  

It's very recent that this ship was supposed to be the Flora's sister.  After the Royal Caribbean bought 2/3 of Silversea, those plans changed and they wanted both lines to have really nice ships in the Galapagos.  They probably are redesigning or refitting it on the fly.  This is a Flora Infinite balcony photo.  It looks like that artist rendering of the Origin room.  Maybe the artist rendering above is misleading.

celebrity-flora-accommodation-sky-infinite-suite-300x170.jpg?width=300&height=170&ext=.jpg

Edited by hubofhockey

Now I see how it works.  Thanks for sharing all of your goodies!  I didn't even see the horizontal line in the artist's rendering.

Personally, in such a hot destination, I really hope they don't move forward with the Celebrity concept.  I'm with you and would much prefer a true balcony.  While the folding doors are fine, I fear the immovable glass on the lower portion of the window will block the breeze while sitting in the cubicle.  For a luxury line that spends a great deal on marketing their extensive use of verandas in their fleet, the design seems counterintuitive to me.

Totally agree Stumbles, it looks an awkward setup and quite a faff with those middle doors too. What if you want to sit on the balcony while the OH is still asleep? I Think the problem is that SS took over a good way into the process so might not have been able to change the design, I wouldn’t  have thought it was their first choice. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Totally agree Stumbles, it looks an awkward setup and quite a faff with those middle doors too. What if you want to sit on the balcony while the OH is still asleep? I Think the problem is that SS took over a good way into the process so might not have been able to change the design, I wouldn’t  have thought it was their first choice. 

There are many complaints like this from people who have had these cabins on the Celebrity Edge.  

I am hoping that the picture I posted above is a false alarm.  I am on the 5/23/20 cruise and have no idea what the ship I'll be on even looks like.  I'm assuming it will be really nice, as nice as the Flora, if different.  I do hope it doesn't have the Infinite veranda though.

We have had similar setups on river boats (SS Antoinette, SS Catherine) and liked it. The top half of the window retracts downward and disappears into the bottom half, creating an open-air balcony effect. The part of the room near the large window is a sitting area, either open like a balcony when the window is down, or part of the room when the window is up. It's a way to have something like a balcony, without stealing space from the room.

1 hour ago, brimary said:

Looks like a good idea for taking a shower in rough seas on a lower deck without having to move to the bathroom!!Hope they think again and leave well alone with the separate balcony.

The ship design is based on the Flora. With the size of these 100-passenger expedition ships, it will have to be an infinite veranda or window.  These ships are designed for Galapagos, so no rough seas and Silversea will be able to control when they open (since it's only electronic).  When I put my deposit down for a cabin, it was an oceanview suite on the Silver Galapagos, so I am expecting to get one of these cabins.  It will either be Infiinte or just a window.  I suppose, I'd be happy with the Infinite veranda if I had to choose between the two.  

When is the Silver Origin due to enter service?

The last I heard from the serious rumour squad was spring 2020?

I ask because I had a ‘flyer’ today promoting the Silver Galapagos up to late September 2020?

On 4/8/2019 at 11:41 AM, MBP&O2/O said:

When is the Silver Origin due to enter service?

The last I heard from the serious rumour squad was spring 2020?

I ask because I had a ‘flyer’ today promoting the Silver Galapagos up to late September 2020?

Silver Origin's Introduction states arriving "summer of 2020" which technically could be as late as Sep 21.  Silver Galapagos is scheduled to sail through Oct 3.

It will be interesting to see if SS releases Origin's schedule during the spring update.

• 1 year later...

Thanks for posting that.  It's weird that when I got moved from the Silver Galapagos I got this more costly infinite veranda and my kids (22 & 20) got a "lesser" cabin with a regular veranda.  The best thing about a balcony is being outside.  I'll keep the cabin they gave me, but I'll try anything.

The ship looks nice and looks more like a cruise ship than the Silver Galapagos.  I'd be happy on either ship and we would be on the Silver Galapagos right now if this thing never happened.  

40 minutes ago, hubofhockey said:

It's weird that when I got moved from the Silver Galapagos I got this more costly infinite veranda and my kids (22 & 20) got a "lesser" cabin with a regular veranda.  The best thing about a balcony is being outside.

I think I understand what you are saying.  To me, I’d rather have your kids cabin in order to be able to sit outside.  But, it’s just because I don’t see the value in paying more for what seems like a fancier Vista cabin.

6 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

I think I understand what you are saying.  To me, I’d rather have your kids cabin in order to be able to sit outside.  But, it’s just because I don’t see the value in paying more for what seems like a fancier Vista cabin.

I'm not so sure it is fancier.  I wonder if the category class and price difference only relates to having this extra interior space with the electronic window.  When I actually paid the price difference in February, it was an upgrade offer of $2K from Silversea from a regular window cabin on the Silver Galapagos to deluxe veranda cabin. That was a real upgrade.  At this point, I am just appreciative that Silversea graciously moved us to the new ship at basically the same price, so I will stick with what I have and not say a word.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hubofhockey said:

The best thing about a balcony is being outside.  

I look forward to hearing from you about the balcony experience. It does look lovely to have all the extra space created when the window is open. Maybe you just end up leaving it open any time the ship is not moving. Unless there are lots of flying insects, of course!

Hi hubofhockey, and congratulations on the Silver Origin. If not for Covid 19 you would be on the Silver Galapagos now.

We did the Silver Galapagos sep 05-15 2019, itinerary A. When is your new voyage date and itinerary?

As it is an Expedition your new ship will enhance the already great experience. There were 2 zodiac excursions, one in morning and one in afternoon, plus others for snorkelling and kayak.

Enjoy the new ship!!!  

14 hours ago, gui218 said:

Hi hubofhockey, and congratulations on the Silver Origin. If not for Covid 19 you would be on the Silver Galapagos now.

We did the Silver Galapagos sep 05-15 2019, itinerary A. When is your new voyage date and itinerary?

As it is an Expedition your new ship will enhance the already great experience. There were 2 zodiac excursions, one in morning and one in afternoon, plus others for snorkelling and kayak.

Enjoy the new ship!!!  

Thanks, I would have been extremely happy on the Silver Galapagos, although I guess today would have been our last day.  We bumped it up exactly one year to May 22, 2021.  The timing works great with one in law school and the other in college.  Silversea really came through for me and I really appreciate that. Definitely looking forward to the water activities like snorkeling and kayaking.  

FauxNom, from what I understand about Celebrity and these infinite verandas, they open only at the discretion of the captain.  On their large ships, that would mean in calm seas.  Looking forward to seeing reviews and videos from guests who get on the Origin first.  They say that will happen in August.  I have my doubts.

• Like 1