Split, Croatia recommandations

Hi

My husband and I will visit the port of Split in Croatia while cruising with Royal  Carribean. Any recommandations on what to do there? Just vist the city by ourselve or do an excursion? 

Thank you for your help

The Dioclesian's Palace is the heart of the ancient city centre. About a 10 to 20 minute pleasant waterside walk depending exactly where your captain parks.

Or for scenery rent a car & drive north on Hwy 8, the coast road to Sibenik. Mebbe stopping off on the way back at Primosten and Trogir.

Google those places, see what you think

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Monday 20th May Split 9am-5pm 

Splendours of the Adriatic Marella Explorer 2

As it was raining when we got up we decided to have a leisurely breakfast, then by 10am the sun had come out and Voila! We decided to self-guide (Rcik Steve's book) as it was an easy 10-15min walk into town from the ship to the main sight The Diocletians Palace which we explored which I enjoyed but as DH quoted seen one lump of rubble seen ‘em all…he’s a builder by trade! We then had a walk along the promenade and up into the local market where we bought some delicious strawberries. There were lots of home grown produce to see and it looked like you just turned up, grabbed a stall and sold your wares.  This was in contrast to the hoards of stalls outside the walls selling the usual tourist tat said she purchaser of more tea towels! We then had a stroll around the headland to a nearby beach which was a little scruffy but with shallow clean bathing. We meandered back to Ex2 for afternoon tea and a sit in the sun. Marella Discovery pulled in to park behind us and the two girls looked a magnificent sight. We’d consider being based in Split for a land based holiday.

20190520_105709.jpg

20190520_113908.jpg

20190520_112701.jpg

a few years ago we used services of Ante Batarelo from private guides Croatia

we had a 4 hour tour in his car

as well as tour of Split with Diocletians palace he took us 30 min drive to medieval town of Trogir

I actually preferred this to Split

it is very unspoilt and we had a local beer for 20kuna[about £2] sitting at a café alongside sea promenade

2 hours ago, fabnfortysomething said:

a few years ago we used services of Ante Batarelo from private guides Croatia

we had a 4 hour tour in his car

as well as tour of Split with Diocletians palace he took us 30 min drive to medieval town of Trogir

I actually preferred this to Split

it is very unspoilt and we had a local beer for 20kuna[about £2] sitting at a café alongside sea promenade

Must've been a few years back because I found Trogir quite spoilt when we ventured there last year. "Overrun" would be a good word. I did not think it was worth the trip. Split is larger and there is more than enough to see and do there to enjoy an unhurried and relaxing day.

21 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Must've been a few years back because I found Trogir quite spoilt when we ventured there last year. "Overrun" would be a good word. I did not think it was worth the trip. Split is larger and there is more than enough to see and do there to enjoy an unhurried and relaxing day.

that's a shame

we were there in 2014

• 2 weeks later...

I would also recommend SplitWalkingTours, we had an excellent tour of a Split using them. We are in a Split again this summer and are using them for a trip to Trogir and Kris. Depending when you visit, the traffic to Krka can be heavy and almost 2 hours each way!

Trogir crowds must depend on the time of year.  We were just there this past mid-May (over-nighted in Trogir while touring Croatia independently) and it wasn't that crowded at all....unlike Dubrovnik which was gorgeous but also can be mobbed by tourists, especially if a cruise ship is visiting.

PS

Krka we found to be underwhelming and overcrowded even in May.

Edited by lynncarol

4 hours ago, lynncarol said:

Trogir crowds must depend on the time of year.  We were just there this past mid-May (over-nighted in Trogir while touring Croatia independently) and it wasn't that crowded at all....unlike Dubrovnik which was gorgeous but also can be mobbed by tourists, especially if a cruise ship is visiting.

PS

Krka we found to be underwhelming and overcrowded even in May.

We'll find out about Trogir crowds this year - end of September, so hopefully not too bad.

Yes, Dubrovnik gets crowded, but we've stayed near there a couple of times mid-season & the walled city was big enough to cope.

Totally agree about Krka.

Within a port-of-call schedule it's a short boat ride and a pretty waterfall - and that's it.

Ideal for locals to pack a picnic and take the family for a pleasant afternoon with the kids paddling in the lake, but a bit of a waste of time for tourists.

Just MHO as always

JB :classic_smile:

On 6/1/2019 at 7:30 AM, fabnfortysomething said:

that's a shame

we were there in 2014

We were there in 2012 and were the only ship in port. All 212 of us.  It was lovely.  These large mega-ships are ruining the small ports.

Trogir reminds me of Venice, so I would go there if you like Venice.  Climb the tower of the church if you are able to get a great view. I stayed for two days on a trip in March and we absolutely loved Trogir, but it was quiet when we were there.   Diocletians' Palace (also a GOT filming location) is amazing in Split.  If you ask my kids, they liked going to the local mall where we watched a movie and ate McDonalds, so it depends your preferences. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/22/2019 at 5:48 PM, saraheg77 said:

Hi - we were there in June and used Croatia Shuttle to get us to Krka National Park (it was beautiful!)... they did not guide us while in the park, we explored on our own.  They have several options, depending on how long you are in port.  Enjoy!    

https://croatiashuttle.com/en/tours

Hi, I'm looking at going to Krka National Park, but our cruise is only in port for a few hours, all the tours on their website seem to be all day affairs.  Were they able to cater to you with a cruise friendly tour?

• 2 weeks later...