Best tips for first time solo cruiser ?

blaubeca

Howdy everyone!
I'm going on my first solo cruise Nov 2019 on the Carnival Horizon on an 8 day Southern Caribbean Itinerary to Grand Turk, La Romana, Curacao, and Aruba. I've gone on two previous cruises with Carnival, but was always bringing along my Mom with me. This time, I decided to go on a solo cruise so I can vacation my way on my time and get some much needed relaxation. 

What are your tips for making a solo cruise successful? Specifically if you've come across issues as a Solo cruiser with safety, excursions, staff, dining, activities, etc that you may not encounter as a group. 

9 hours ago, blaubeca said:

vacation my way on my time

Exactly! 

I took my first solo cruise last year and had such a great experience that I'm doing another one this year. My advice is to be flexible and roll with the punches. Don't be afraid to join in activities...the likelihood you'll ever seen any of those people again is slim 😂. I was afraid I would be uncomfortable and feel judged for being alone. I absolutely did not actually feel that way. First, I don't think most of my fellow cruisers realized I was alone. Second, cruisers are generally a friendly bunch; there was always someone willing to strike up a conversation if I wanted one. One of other the great things about being solo is that it's so much easier to find a lounger by the pool or a seat in the theater or get on a tender boat quicker (if applicable). 

--I never felt like I had any specific concerns about safety - though I'm always aware of my surroundings and take proper care to ensure the security of my belongings. But that's just common sense, and I don't feel like I had to do anything above and beyond because I was solo.

--Regarding excursions...I guess I don't really have any advice there. If you're nervous or uncomfortable, don't feel weird about taking the ship's excursions if they provide you peace of mind. Sometimes the extra money is worth it. Just research your ports and what kind of things are available before you make your decisions. 

--Staff were really kind of a non-issue. My stateroom attendant obviously knew I was solo and the waitstaff at dinner, but none treated me any different than if I were with others. Maybe they talked with me a little longer, but that was nice not intrusive.

--Dining is one of those things that really vary traveler to traveler. I chose the fixed, late dining on my last cruise, and had an excellent table. There were a couple of other solos and two separate pairs of friends cruising together. It was nice meeting up at dinner and kind of "catching up" about our days, and after I always had someone to grab a drink with if I wanted. That being said, don't feel funny if you want to dine alone in the buffet or with anytime dining. The first night I brought my e-reader so I had something to occupy myself if no one else showed up. I ate breakfast in the MDR a couple of times, and I did break out my book then even though I sat at a shared table because the people I sat with weren't interested in talking. 

2 hours ago, Judyrem said:

What do you do on Gala nights, how do you dress?

I’m assuming that “gala nights” are elegant/formal nights? I know terminology differs among the lines. I dressed up, no different than if I was traveling with another. For a Carnival Cruise (or Royal), my formal night wear is a nice dress that I might wear as a guest to a semi-formal wedding. Not “black tie” but more than a sundress. 

I have been cruising solo for 16 years and I love it.  Tips? That varies depending on the person. If you enjoy participating in certain activities, then join in on them. If you prefer staying on your own, do that too.  Most cruise lines offer all sorts of daytime events/activities…….they can be trivia, listening to a lecture on a certain topic or having food demos (just 3 examples).

Read your "daily paper".  It is something most cruise lines print out every day and it shows activities/times for folks to attend.

As for excursions, I have gone on my own, joined others on the roll call on them and I have used the ship's tours over the years as well. ………...speaking of roll calls...…...that is a good way to meet other people on your particular sailing. Most cruisers are quite friendly.  See if there is a roll call started for you cruise and if there is, say hello. If  there is not one, start one.

One of my personal tips is, don't feel like you have to be on the go all the time.  I enjoy finding a lounger, reading a book, having a drink and taking a nap.:classic_smile:..…….cruising is a wonderful way to de-stress.

Dress code? I don't know Carnival's dress code but I normally wear a pair of dressy slacks with a pretty top, nice jewelry, a nice pair of sandals and am good to go.

• 1 month later...

Hi,  Dining tips-ask for traditional fixed early or late sitting,a large table with other singles.  Go to the activities that sound interesting to do.  Talk to a lot of people. In the buffet,it is perfectly ok to ask at a table-Can I join you at this table?  Eat,drink,and be merry and have a fun time!  Kendra