Viking pool pictures with people

Clay Clayton

When we first started learning about Viking Ocean Cruises, it seemed like there were never pictures of the public places with many people so I thought I’d post a couple of the pool so others can see how crowded (or uncrowded)it is. 

We are in the midst of our fifth sea day and they had a Caesar Salad Bar (with shrimp and/or salmon) by the pool today at lunch .  This is as close as I have ever seen the pool deck to being full and there are still plenty of loungers and seats.  The only fully occupied loungers are along each side directly over looking the ocean.

I suspect one reason there are as many as there are, is that the winds are high and they have removed the loungers from around the infinity pool.  Yesterday there were sunbathers equally split between both pools-I’d say fifty percent capacity at most.  

I don’t think chair hogging will ever be a real issue for Viking cruisers. Thank Goodness!

AE7D778B-F6DB-45B4-BF94-C485AABCBCDD.jpeg

88283196-F279-4E11-B72D-9D0AD3F99243.jpeg

D351012F-7E42-4EF0-95BB-932BCBBC110D.jpeg

95AF848A-E9F9-4C24-BD31-CF4E749FF255.jpeg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Could someone explain the last picture?  What is that hallway?  Is that part of the pool area or the spa area?

Pool, the gentleman in the red shirt is standing at the Pool Grill. The pool is left of screen. Have a look at a deck plan as this helps to put the area into perspective. LM

Could someone explain the last picture?  What is that hallway?  Is that part of the pool area or the spa area?

You are standing on the port side of deck 7,  looking aft standing at about the 'Wintergarden'. As pp mentions the 'red shirt' at the far end is at the 'pool grill'

The pool is to the left, to the right is a line of loungers against glass looking to sea.  A similar line of loungers is on the starboard side.  If there was any 'chair hogging' or shortage of desired places to hang out it was these loungers on sea days . . . very popular place during our 'Midnight Sun' last July.  There were plenty of empty loungers around the pool (and on higher decks) but these facing out under shade and out of the wind were prime locations on sea days. The retractable roof above the pool only extends to where the picture limit is on the left in this shot .. so these loungers are almost always in shade.

Standing in approx same location looking to the left .... roof partially open.  The brown textured wall opens to reveal the 'big screen'  ..  Mrs enjoyed movie nights up here ... they rearrange the chairs to face the screen & give you high quality wireless headphones (Bose)  so the movie sound does not disturb others.  Free popcorn and bar service is available

IMG_0923.JPG

Edited by Capt_BJ
correct deck number
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

Thanks Clay. Looks like the pool roof is closed. Are cool temps the reason? 

Looks so lovely

Yes, it’s a little chilly and VERY windy...they have it cracked open at the far end which is very nice. On last year’s TA it was mostly closed and was miserably hot and humid, so we are enjoying how they are doing it on here. 

I don't think I saw a single  person in any of the pools during our 3/14 sailing on the Sky (we had other things to do I suppose...especially on the 23rd!!). It killed me not to have warm enough weather to use that infinity pool - maybe next time. Probably would have had a chance if the cruise would have continued farther south towards London as planned. 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

Yes, it’s a little chilly and VERY windy...they have it cracked open at the far end which is very nice. On last year’s TA it was mostly closed and was miserably hot and humid, so we are enjoying how they are doing it on here. 

Really glad to hear that they have it cracked open. The heat and humidity in there with the roof closed can be stifling so maybe they have found a simple way to address this. 

gretschwhtfalcon- do use that infinity pool on your next cruise of the opportunity presents - it’s pretty darned nice! We were lucky to have several opportunities to, and plan to do so again in October if the weather cooperates!  

I know...it just looks so cool.  Must give the illusion like you're going to swim right off the back of the ship! I've loved every infinity pool I've ever been in. See what happens with the maiden voyage of the Venus in 2 years. The Sky guests have been invited from Mr. Hagen to be on that sailing. If it takes place during a bit warmer weather than winter in northern Norway, I might get my chance. Never got to the spa on the Sky either - was going to on the 23rd but then it was closed due to the cyclone and excessive roll and pitch (and I DO mean EXCESSIVE!). 

Edited by gretschwhtfalcon

I think the infinity part of the pool is more s marketing ploy than anything else. Unlike other infinity edge pools where the water actually flows over the edge, that doesn’t happen (or at least I’ve never seen it do so and by my judgement if they got the water level high enough to do so, any ship’s motion would flood the Aquavit)  I think a better name for the pool would be The Glass Pool-certainly the image of guests appearing to float off the back edge of the ship is incredible. 

I second the hope that you get to use the pool. It is a beautiful place to enjoy a warm day in the sun. 

On our last trip we used the pool frequently.  We found that about 4pm it got chilly if the roof was closed.  We think this was to reduce the temperature for the afternoon tea.  So it seems they can control the temperature in this area.  We were positioned near the Wintergarden.

We also found that the Wintergarden was little used during the day.  But as always plenty of peaceful spots around the ship. 

• Like 1

Lots of outdoor spaces in the sun!  One place most people miss is the sports deck on the bow—top deck.  Outdoor equipment, putting green and loungers.  I rarely encountered anyone up there.  Also decks aft above/around the World Cafe.  

BTW, the pools are fairly deep.  Water depth 4’9” to 5’9” and possibly deeper.  Many people in the pools last month.  Someone commented at meet and mingle they had never seen pools used so much.