NCL excursion to Alcatraz or on our own

Trying to figure out if it would be best to do the Alcatraz excursion with NCL, to be sure to be one of the first getting off the ship since we are only there for one day, or do the tickets to Alcatraz on our own. The NCL excursion is a 5.5 hour trip and includes a trip to Sausilito, which we really do not care to see.  Would rather have the hop on/off bus in San Francisco.  Wondering if anyone has done the NCL tour, and if when we get to Sausilito, if we could just take the ferry back to San Francisco on our own if we want.  Would love to hear your experience with this. Thank you

If you aren't interested in Sausalito, just do Alcatraz on your own...as long as you are prepared to book several months in advance, ( which is required) it is very easy. Hop on Hop off buses run past the area every few minutes...easy to get on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I booked through NCL because I have been reading that it can take hours to go through customs, since this will be our first US port after leaving Canada.  I wanted to go to Alcatraz as early as possible and couldn't decide what time to book on my own.  We dock at 8.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, briternik said:

I booked through NCL because I have been reading that it can take hours to go through customs, since this will be our first US port after leaving Canada.  I wanted to go to Alcatraz as early as possible and couldn't decide what time to book on my own.  We dock at 8.  

If you are sailing out of Vancouver, and not stopping in Victoria, you will have done US Immigration (only, and usually the far more complicated procedure, as opposed to Customs...there is a difference) when you boarded the ship in Vancouver.

If you stop in Victoria, just schedule for 10am-ish. It is a very short walk to the Alcatraz pier, and you will make it by 10am.

Booking on your own is easy enough, but book ASAP because tickets do sell out quickly, most especially during summer. I was not able to get tix for July last year when I was in SF, and we were booking at least 60 days in advance. I have not done the NCL tour, but you should be able to skip off the tour in Sausalito. Just give your tour driver a heads up, so they aren't waiting on you. Obviously, if  you leave your tour early, you're giving up your "back to ship on time" guarantees. The ferry can get pretty crowded, so you may have a wait. But it's also easy and cheap enough to get an Uber/Lyft back over the bridge if the wait is too long.

We are stopping in Victoria first, therefore, my dilemma?  My tour also includes Sausalito which sounds interesting.  Since I haven't been to San Francisco before, is there something else that is more interesting?  I'm open to anything.  Alcatraz was my only "must do".  

Sausalito is cute town and a pleasant way to spend an afternoon IMO. There are lots of interesting places in San Fran that might be more interesting than Sausalito if you've never been and don't think you're likely to get back... There's the "crooked" street, Lombard St. The painted ladies. Golden Gate Bridge. But I enjoyed my afternoon lunching and exploring the town in Sausalito, then getting a ride back over the bridge into San Fran. Personally, a trip to Alcatraz then a stop in Sausalito sounds like a nice day for me - a nice mix of activity (Alcatraz) and relaxation (Sausalito).

Agree that Sausalito will make for a pleasant afternoon strolling in and out of shops, getting ice cream, watching the boats, etc. And there are nice views and photo vantage points looking back over the water into the city. But you’ll give up the opportunity to try to see more high profile sights directly in SF. Depends on what you’re in the mood for.