Watch your SeaPass Account!

Back from a great cruise on Allure on March 24th.  Basically, the only downside was having to watch my SeaPass card like a hawk.  I had no fewer than 9 erroneous charges on my account. 

1.  Three different days I was charged for someone else's drinks in the dining room (a $10.XX charge and a $15.XX charge each of those three nights) (6 different charges)

2.  My son and I were each charged for something at the Dog House - this one was an employee error.  We got dogs and sodas (from the gun; we had soda packages) and the worker said he had to run our card.  I thought it was weird but since he didn't ask us to sign something, I figured all was fine - until two charges showed up about a half an hour later; for two different amounts no less even though our orders were exactly the same.  (2 more charge)

3.  Finally, a $50 missing towel charge on my son's account at 4:00am on debarkation day (after the paper bill was received) when he NEVER checked out a towel under his name the entire cruise. 

I had not signed a slip for any of these charges.

Thankfully, checking your account is very easy with the Royal App and I was able to get them reversed as they came up, but what a hassle!  Keep an eye out!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, PattyW said:

3.  Finally, a $50 missing towel charge on my son's account at 4:00am on debarkation day (after the paper bill was received) when he NEVER checked out a towel under his name the entire cruise. ,,,

This part is Standard Operating Procedure for Royal.  Sounds like they are expanding the SOP to include other types of  "mistakes".

• Like 1

We were charged for someone else's beverage package once, and didn't discover it until late in the cruise. In the end, we had to escalate it to the food and beverage management to get the charge taken off, even though we never used it (to buy alcoholic beverages--my husband doesn't drink!). And of course once there was the mystery minibar charge, and the charge for a bottle of water in the room, and ... well, all charges we had to dispute and have taken off.

This isn’t just confined to Royal.  On our last Celebrity cruise I took a photo of the onboard account on the TV on the morning of debarkation.  Later that day I saw another charge listed as “Pending” on my credit card.  I have seen this in the past and it generally drops off.  However this one eventually posted so I called Celebrity.  One of the infamous minibar charges.  I told the lady we had not touched anything in the minibar and she had the charge refunded.  Unfortunately it seems one should check their credit card app daily.

Edited by helen haywood
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

It's been many years since I've been on RCCL (Voyager of the Seas), but I vaguely remember being able to printout a statement of charges from a kiosk?  

That would have been before my time on RC.

Tip if you know it’s not your charge, go to Guest services at night when there’s  no

lines ,So your not wasting your time,They will reverse charge if it’s not yours.

I normally clean up my account twice on a 7 day as needed

I buydrink packages and tip cash  so if drink or tip charges of any kind show up, I know there not mine/ours 

We have gotten the towel charges added in middle of last night. Didn’t notice till off ship . When we got home after a time on phone it was reversed 

50$ in charges ate up 35 mins of my day +

the aggrevation of talking to RCI 

I should of just let them keep it LOL

• Like 3

This is good advice for any stay, land or sea.

And to check each credit card statement each month.

And while you may want to think these things are nefarious ways to get more money, most likely, they are typical glitches.

9 minutes ago, Sherri914 said:

Wow.  I must be really lucky in that I've never experienced an error on my SeaPass.  I hope my good luck continues!

For us, it is the rare exception when there is not a mistake on the SeaPass account.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In 15 cruises, I’ve had two bogus charges. The first happened on the first RCI Cruise 11 years ago. I’ve often wondered if catching that first bogus charge flagged my account as one not to put bogus charges on. The last one was a bogus Izumi charge that showed up on my last day printout. I was able to get that removed immediately.

Couple years ago on allure an entire room bill of a stranger was put on my account

on debarkation day I went to guest services 

manager argued that these strangers had already left the ship

after 30 minutes of telling him that’s not my problem he finally took charges off

i kept saying show me my authorization for this room to be on my account

always check your bill

• Like 2

On Oasis we had charges from the Solarium bar show up on our account on a regular basis, We had the drink package and did not order anything special there.  The amounts were all odd as well.  A call to guest services took care of it without any additional headache.

On a different cruise line that claims to have fun ships, we had ordered some items to be delivered that never showed up.  The guest services promised a refund but several weeks after we returned, they still had not processed the refund.  I had my credit card company process the refund for them.

13 hours ago, PattyW said:

Back from a great cruise on Allure on March 24th.  Basically, the only downside was having to watch my SeaPass card like a hawk.  I had no fewer than 9 erroneous charges on my account. 

1.  Three different days I was charged for someone else's drinks in the dining room (a $10.XX charge and a $15.XX charge each of those three nights) (6 different charges)

2.  My son and I were each charged for something at the Dog House - this one was an employee error.  We got dogs and sodas (from the gun; we had soda packages) and the worker said he had to run our card.  I thought it was weird but since he didn't ask us to sign something, I figured all was fine - until two charges showed up about a half an hour later; for two different amounts no less even though our orders were exactly the same.  (2 more charge)

3.  Finally, a $50 missing towel charge on my son's account at 4:00am on debarkation day (after the paper bill was received) when he NEVER checked out a towel under his name the entire cruise. 

I had not signed a slip for any of these charges.

Thankfully, checking your account is very easy with the Royal App and I was able to get them reversed as they came up, but what a hassle!  Keep an eye out!

Good to know that the charges can be checked on the Royal App!  I didn't even think of this our last cruise so would check the old fashioned way on the TV.  App would be much easier. :) Thanks!

Charges are not always easy to remove at guest services. Last cruise an alcoholic drink was charged to my daughter at labadee. After a half hour of arguing with them I said, so I guess you sell alcohol to minors. Removed immediately. If my daughter was over 21 they would have never removed.

34 minutes ago, LBumb said:

Couple years ago on allure an entire room bill of a stranger was put on my account

on debarkation day I went to guest services 

manager argued that these strangers had already left the ship

after 30 minutes of telling him that’s not my problem he finally took charges off

i kept saying show me my authorization for this room to be on my account

always check your bill

Oh goodness, I'd be less than polite if they argued the same but great tactic on the authorization!  They asked me twice at embarkation that I was authorizing both my husband and I (one room) AND my son and his GF (second room) on my account.  Thankfully we never had any erroneous charges either - I checked the app every day on Indy BUT you lose the ability to check the last morning so screen shot it before then!

11 minutes ago, tradercj said:

Charges are not always easy to remove at guest services. Last cruise an alcoholic drink was charged to my daughter at labadee. After a half hour of arguing with them I said, so I guess you sell alcohol to minors. Removed immediately. If my daughter was over 21 they would have never removed.

Perfect!!