Breakfast Buffet

cruisinaz

19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

They usually have it there for lunch and dinners with vanilla sauce. Perhaps it was left over from the night before, 

I've seen it at lunch when they don't have some other hot dessert like fruit crumble. Hadn't seen it for breakfast, and you may be right about it being a leftover. Don't care - was yummy.

6 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

I've seen it at lunch when they don't have some other hot dessert like fruit crumble. Hadn't seen it for breakfast, and you may be right about it being a leftover. Don't care - was yummy.

My mum used to make a version that we would have for breakfast but no vanilla sauce, just some custard.

• Thanks 1

On 5/9/2019 at 2:44 AM, MicCanberra said:

I have had some absolutely amazing buffets in some hotels, amazing selections and quality food.

On 5/9/2019 at 2:45 AM, MicCanberra said:

I have had some absolutely amazing buffets in some hotels, amazing selections and quality food.

They must have been truly exceptional!   😁🤓😎

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

How much of an elitist do you have to be to not enjoy breakfast on any cruise ship?

Not at all.  Enjoying time on a cruise ship is unrelated to enjoying breakfast on a cruise ship.  Bad food is bad food, regardless of where and when it's served.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 7:42 PM, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Just wondering...what would constitute "absolutely amazing"? It's just breakfast. A bowel of cereal, toast and coffee, maybe a few fried eggs. 

The only amazing breafast buffets, not on any cruise ship... seen ones that amazed at the Dan Hotels in Israel...LOL

With the new setup of the World Fresh Market on the Caribbean Princess, new changes came along. The breakfast buffet has more variety of grains, oats,granola,yogurt with fruit. Also, there is gluten free bread and toasters are available for you to toast your own bread instead of waiting in line for someone to toast it for you in Horizon Court. There are more options with eggs and dips like hummus and baba gamoush. The omelette station is always my favorite, you get to choose what you want in it, put it in a cup, give it to the chefs and in no time you get a delicious omelette. Now they even have different kinds of smoothies every morning which I really, really loved. Especially the berry one. All in all the buffet has improved, the food is presented better, there is more variety and lots of delicious food to choose from.

Nothing will every match home cooking when it is done right.

If you know how the cruise food is before you book, why complain if you don't enjoy it when you knew in advance it was not going  to meet your standard. For some people, it is a given that buffet food can suck and the food usually cool, the scrambled eggs run and bacon is greasy. Surprise!

Edited by JMorris271

7 hours ago, JMorris271 said:

Nothing will every match home cooking when it is done right.

Huh?  If I could cook with the skill and talents of a chef, then it would be "done right", but most people (like myself) can't do that and so home cooking will usually not be as good as restaurant cooking when it is "done right". 

On 5/11/2019 at 8:37 PM, Sea Hag said:

I ran into this last month on Grandeur.

And not left over, they had not had it the night before.

Makes a WONDERFUL breakfast treat.

• Thanks 1

On 5/13/2019 at 5:29 PM, MicCanberra said:

Not bad at all, sounds almost like the variety of choice in one of those asian hotels.

Yes.  They have US/UK breakfast, Asian (sometimes more than one country) breakfast, European breakfast, Indian breakfast, and LOTS of fresh fruit.

6 hours ago, SRF said:

I ran into this last month on Grandeur.

And not left over, they had not had it the night before.

Makes a WONDERFUL breakfast treat.

It is a wonderful breakfast dish, probably a bit of hot milk as well.

I think one of the more interesting breakfast buffet items we have seen was on MSC where they have breakfast pizza!  We are talking pizza with an egg on top!   I did not try the concoction (we ate our breakfasts in the Yacht Club's restaurant) but it certainly was "different."

Hank

15 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I think one of the more interesting breakfast buffet items we have seen was on MSC where they have breakfast pizza!  We are talking pizza with an egg on top!   I did not try the concoction (we ate our breakfasts in the Yacht Club's restaurant) but it certainly was "different."

Hank

👍👍👍

I have to say, that sounds good.

The pizza on MSC was excellent which is what one would expect from an Italian cruise line.  In their Lido buffet they had many pizza offerings for breakfast, lunch and dinner (we seldom at in the buffet).  There would usually be 8-10 varieties, some of which changed on a regular basis.  But the breakfast pizzas were the ones that caught my attention since we have never seen that on any other cruise line.  All MSC pizzas were made fresh (within sight of the buffet line) and the ones we had were quite good.  One of the staff in the Yacht Club (where we lived) told us his first MSC job was as "pizza cutter" at the Lido.  He told me that after a few months of that job he never wanted to cut another pizza as long as he lived :).

Hank

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Egg and bacon pizza is very good.

Is it an "Aussie thing," Mic?

When I read Hank's original post that is exactly what I wondered.

Again, I agree that it does sound pretty good.

18 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Egg and bacon pizza is very good.

Saw one of those cooking shows on TV where the restaurant put fried eggs on top of pizza.  Haven't tried it but have to admit it looked pretty good.  

I had it a couple of times from a convenience store in Oklahoma when I did radio there. It was good even for a C store. I always knew when my owner had it for breakfast, his big belly was covered with grease. And that was most days.

On 4/4/2019 at 10:42 PM, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Just wondering...what would constitute "absolutely amazing"? It's just breakfast. A bowel of cereal, toast and coffee, maybe a few fried eggs. 

A bowel of cereal? That's a definite pass! 😳