What drinks package IS included in YC?

Beamafar

The upgrade is at a cost for $24/day per person in Australian dollars, and yes they will charge me.  that is the conversion rate for what I have seen being charged in euro or USD. The calculation is simply the difference between the premium package and the premium plus package to arrive at the price. 

The assumption is yacht club comes with unlimited drinks included from the standard menu or premium package, connoisseur menu is where the drinks are more than 10euro and that is what premium plus gets you as well. 

My booking was was more recent and deluxe package was not part of the offerings. 

It has  been a play on words by MSC around the drink offerings in yacht club with them continually saying everything was included. I knew from this forum that was BS and said to them the forums are talking about the way MSC is being inconsistent with what they tell people, so just cut the crap and do the upgrade.  It was a real push to get them to omit to the upgrade being available for yacht club, disappointing they are less up front. 

I hope when at dinner they honor the upgrade and make by the glass choice from the connoisseur menu available to my group who will all upgrade, because I am sure they will push bottle wine for the table and hence the need to pay for them. Anyone had any issues on this front?

Having cruised with Crystal Cruises both before and after them becoming all inclusive for alcohol, I enjoyed the experience before the all inclusive offering became the norm. 

I found sommeliers became nothing more than glorified water waiters running around with a limited choice of wine based on whatever they chose to open for the night. No longer any engagement with the customer about the wine choices, just a waiter running around with tray saying red or white. Pretty bloody average for that line. So even the so called better lines also have their sort comings. 

• Like 1

waynev...thank you for your reply. 

I shall continue with my back and forth e-mails to MSC but not holding out much hope. As you say there is a play on words which allows them to respond in many ways to suit them. Having sailed in YC before I'm quite aware of what the package was but MSC cleverly never committed themselves on specifying any drinks or giving it a name ! Equally it was described as unlimited with no mention of a 10 euro restriction. I will not hold my breath for a satisfactory outcome !

There is/was no Sommelier on Seaview and at dinner they offered white/red/rose. They showed you which red/white/rose was opened and on offer. If as we did on a couple of occasions told them that we didn't want that particular wine a more senior waiter came to the table and asked what sort of wine we liked. As long as they had it they opened it...a little reluctantly but they did.

SS ... we had that situation last year on Splendida where there were only limited choices of wines on the first night of a 28 night cruise which I was not prepared to accept. I was told that they had to stretch the stock across the durTion of the cruise!

I brought wine from the wine bar to the restaurant and had the servers decant it to YC wine glasses, which drew the attention of the sommelier who asked me why I was bringing wine and where was I getting it. When I explained he told me I could have any of the included wines anytime. Point made!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Below was the email from MSC after the initial communications were going nowhere and pushed the point for it to be resolved. 

Hi Wayne,

If you wanted to upgrade from the premium package to the premium plus the cost will be $24 per person per night. Please let your travel agent know if you would like to add it in to your booking. Unless you’d like to do that directly with us and pay with your credit card.

See below for what is included in the Premium and Premium plus packages. If you have the premium package and want a drink from the Premium plus range you will pay the whole amount of the drink, not just the difference. 

Please note that the description of premium package states that mini bar is not included however when you are in Yacht Club, you do have a fully stocked mini bar included.

I have also shown Yacht Club inclusions at the bottom so it is all in one place for you.

Kind regards,

Whitney Broadbent
National Cruise Consultant

MSC Cruises Pty Ltd
Suite 532, 5 Lime Street
Sydney NSW 2000

Phone: +61 2 8076 1000
Fax : +61 2 8076 1002
Email: reservations@msccruises.com.au

Follow us:       

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

SS ... we had that situation last year on Splendida where there were only limited choices of wines on the first night of a 28 night cruise which I was not prepared to accept. I was told that they had to stretch the stock across the durTion of the cruise!

I brought wine from the wine bar to the restaurant and had the servers decant it to YC wine glasses, which drew the attention of the sommelier who asked me why I was bringing wine and where was I getting it. When I explained he told me I could have any of the included wines anytime. Point made!!

This also happened on Meraviglia. I've not covered it in my review yet, but I often asked for the Bordeaux and was instead told to 'try this' - with no explanation that it wasn't Bordeaux or a reason why not. I could always get it in the TSL but hardly ever in the restaurant. No apology or rationale. I did push back a couple of times, but also started bringing my own in from the TSL and wasn't challenged.

I definitely won't be accepting this on Preziosa, as I did suffer a glass or two I didn't really enjoy, out of not wanting to make much of a fuss.

• Like 1

Got it top sail lounge, so it sounds like getting good wine service is going be an issue, and the offering of the premium plus  package at dinner even more so. Sounds like you need to have it out with them on boarding making it clear that is what you have paid for and what you are going to insist is offered whenever requested without exception. 

Wonder how that conversation is going to go down. 

Edited by waynev
  • Haha 1

I'm so confused, and somewhat concerned as we depart in 10 days.... 

Seems this stuff changes by the day, hour, and minute even in some cases.

We are sailing June 1 in SS YC, first YC experience coming from the NCL Haven world so,

Can you guys clarify for me whether these few items are included or not, at least how it stands today? I've read varying reports over the last year, so before we go I'd like to know the latest on what you're being told and experiencing on board, as it seems what you're told and what happens is not consistent:

-Chocolate Shop (forgot the name) & Chocolate Martinis?

-Espresso Martinis throughout the ship and in YC? (we really enjoy these in the evenings)

-Crepe shop

-Gelato

Edited by SailBreakaway

9 minutes ago, nikkiw60 said:

To add to this we have the old deluxe package included...

Abandon hope, so, Nikki, of ever figuring what you're covered for - especially if they DO give you all the perks!  You'll be "downgraded" to the Premium package if so.

We booked our 2 2019 YC cruises before the changes;  we've upgraded both to Premium+ because MSC is insisting that there isn't a 'formal' package included for YC, so, the fact that it was the Deluxe level that was in existence when we booked is now irrelevant.

However, in your situation, you've booked and paid for Deluxe (421).  This code will possibly not be included on your YC card (though it should be) which will impact on your entitlement to enjoy the sundaes that are included in 421.  There really isn't much else difference with Premium.  Some of the drinks that used to be included in Deluxe have been removed, anyway.  One other major inclusion (should you be denied the YC perks) is the mini-bar.  Your Deluxe package entitles you to that, anyway (as, I'm sure, you know!) 

Edited by Beamafar

The sundaes have disappeared from the description. We only had one last time on the Seaside and that was one of the ones on a stick and it ended up melting onto my lap anyway...

It seems that they're trying to reduce the inclusions in Deluxe to the level of Premium, so (despite the hefty price difference - €50pppd for the former and €39 for the latter!)

I rarely eat icecream/gelato, but I'd usually treat myself to one of the sundaes from the pool bar menu when we'd have Deluxe.  I'd only indulge in the included cake treats when in the Piazza/Piazzetta area on Fantasia-class (though the gelato and sundaes were available there, too).

5 minutes ago, nikkiw60 said:

I hope I have as much fun when we get on board as am having pre cruise on the board...

MSC sure has a way of driving us to pulling our hair out with frustration at times.  🙄

10 hours ago, SailBreakaway said:

I'm so confused, and somewhat concerned as we depart in 10 days.... 

Seems this stuff changes by the day, hour, and minute even in some cases.

We are sailing June 1 in SS YC, first YC experience coming from the NCL Haven world so,

Can you guys clarify for me whether these few items are included or not, at least how it stands today? I've read varying reports over the last year, so before we go I'd like to know the latest on what you're being told and experiencing on board, as it seems what you're told and what happens is not consistent:

-Chocolate Shop (forgot the name) & Chocolate Martinis?

-Espresso Martinis throughout the ship and in YC? (we really enjoy these in the evenings)

-Crepe shop

-Gelato

DMH, you might recall her from NCL, just got back from YC on Seaside.  She hasn't reported on all those but did say Venchi was no charge.

In March for us, 1 yes, 2, 3 didn't order, 4 yes.

I really just hope MSC doesn’t have me running back to NCL begging for forgiveness!!! lol

I’ve assured DW that this will meet and exceed her experiences with NCL. I hope they don’t make a liar out of me. We are pretty easy going so I don’t think I’ll get wrapped around the axle. Sounds like key is to stay away from Guest Services, aka “The Hypertension Desk”