Need Advice from Experienced Cruisers Please

Lawahl

I understand that it might have been a mistake, but it was 21 times. 12 times with my S&S number and 9 times with my Mom's S&S number. Times when we didn't even go in the dining room for dinner. Times that we were already in our room or at a show and the dining room was closed. No other waiter or bartender made this mistake (some who also didn't ask for our S&S number after day 1). I really am just so confused. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 4:37 PM, bingomamma19 said:

I would not think they were getting drinks for themselves at all.  I am sure they do get their own sodas or coffee for free or on some account they have.

I would assume it was some kind of clerical error, you reported it.   That's where I would end.   Unless you want to spend hours and hours trying to get a response that makes you happy.   In the end you weren't charged.    If this was some ongoing issue, others would report it also and it would be discovered.

I would not let this ruin my vacation at all or feel disappointed.

Crew get free coffee, have to pay for soda, and most crew are not allowed to buy alcohol from passenger bars.  They have their own bars where they can purchase alcohol.  There are some staff that can use passenger facilities, but most cannot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lawahl said:

I understand that it might have been a mistake, but it was 21 times. 12 times with my S&S number and 9 times with my Mom's S&S number. Times when we didn't even go in the dining room for dinner. Times that we were already in our room or at a show and the dining room was closed. No other waiter or bartender made this mistake (some who also didn't ask for our S&S number after day 1). I really am just so confused. 

So how long are you going to spend on this?  What kind of response are you going to be happy with?

1st you said you thought the waiter was getting drinks for himself, then maybe for other passengers (big tippers), you reported it..you don't want him to get in trouble or fired.  You aren't happy with their response....Seriously...is he supposed to write you an essay or 500 lines of ..I will not charge a soda when I am not sure what the folio number is.

As far as giving coffee or soda to a big tipper...I would think if someone is a big tipper, they can afford a soda.   Nobody would expect a free soda or coffee from a waiter.   They know the staff can not give out free drinks.  Since nothing like this has ever been reported here or on any other board I have read over the last several years, it seems highly unlikely that it was on purpose.    It could have even been a computer error somewhere.  

Edited by bingomamma19
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, bingomamma19 said:

As far as giving coffee or soda to a big tipper...I would think if someone is a big tipper, they can afford a soda.   Nobody would expect a free soda or coffee from a waiter.   They know the staff can not give out free drinks.  Since nothing like this has ever been reported here or on any other board I have read over the last several years, it seems highly unlikely that it was on purpose.    It could have even been a computer error somewhere.  

Really? No one tips expecting something extra in return? I’ve seen tons of people post on here that they got extra strong drinks with a tip or asking if they can charge their friends drinks to their account with a tip. And all the people saying how they are perfectly entitled to get their kids sodas and milkshakes on their cheers account. If you can afford cheers you can afford $3 for a soda...

ive been on a cruise before where we paid for drinks as we went and I found out later that the person I was with always put an extra tip on her charge sheet and some of her drinks were not charged. Nothing was spoken, the waiter just did it on his own.

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Really? No one tips expecting something extra in return? I’ve seen tons of people post on here that they got extra strong drinks with a tip or asking if they can charge their friends drinks to their account with a tip. And all the people saying how they are perfectly entitled to get their kids sodas and milkshakes on their cheers account. If you can afford cheers you can afford $3 for a soda...

ive been on a cruise before where we paid for drinks as we went and I found out later that the person I was with always put an extra tip on her charge sheet and some of her drinks were not charged. Nothing was spoken, the waiter just did it on his own.

Stronger drinks are different than giving away drinks on someone elses account.    Even people who think they are getting stronger drinks may not be.   Alcohol is very closely monitored by bar management in the accounting of each bar.. 

Waiters would have to account for each drink they are getting from the bartender so i dont see how any waiter is going to be able to give out a free drink without a receipt.

And we ALWAYS signed a receipt for our drinks. Didn't matter if it was for a can of coke, water, or an alcoholic beverage. We signed every single time no matter where we were, what time it was, or who served it to us. 

I seriously cant understand how people can just say "Let it go".  The cheerleaders are out in full swing. Just let the waiter continue to use your S&S card number, right? Geez . I guess the fact it happened 21 times doesnt matter to the loyalist.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 4:49 PM, Lawahl said:

Hi! I just returned from my first cruise on the Carnival Liberty yesterday. My Mom and I both had the CHEERS package. While reviewing our account summary, we counted 21 total "charges" between the 2 of us for drinks that we never ordered.

On 4/5/2019 at 5:02 PM, cloudninecat said:

Since you didn't have to pay for them I would just let it go and assume there was just a mistake.

Once would be a mistake.  Twenty one times would be deliberate.  She did report it while on board but they told her not to worry.  It needs to be reported to higher ups to stop that from happening again.

I can see her point in being upset.  They paid $50 a day each for the package.  In effect, the waiter gave away 21 of their drinks that they paid for.  What would have happened had they wanted to get a drink and they found out that they had already reached their limit of 15 and they had only drank 5?

Edited by RWolver672
  • Like 1

On 4/5/2019 at 4:49 PM, Lawahl said:

Hi! I just returned from my first cruise on the Carnival Liberty yesterday. My Mom and I both had the CHEERS package. While reviewing our account summary, we counted 21 total "charges" between the 2 of us for drinks that we never ordered. I realize that we don't have to pay for any of them because we had the CHEERS program, but the "charges" seem very fishy. Let me explain. All 21 drinks were added by our Team Head Waiter from dinner between the hours of 6pm and 9:30pm on all 4 nights of the cruise. We had early dining and didn't even go to the dining room one night. At first I thought it could just be a mistake, but an employee with 15 plus years of experience doesn't... shouldn't... make this mistake 21 times! If he was accidentally using my sail and sign number for someone else, you can't tell me they never once noticed the wrong name or room number when they signed the receipt. All 21 drinks were either a can of Coke or a Coffee. The only thing I can come up with is that he was getting drinks for himself. I called Guest Services before leaving the ship and they just kept saying "Well, you don't have to pay for it." My question is this: Does that matter? The guy made a mistake 21 times. Do you think it was a mistake or he was getting drinks for himself? What else could he have been doing? Should I let someone else from Carnival know? What would you do? I feel duped. I hate walking away from my first cruise feeling disappointed. 

Obviously something went amiss, since you asked, in order to respond, I need to ask another question.  Obviously you were not satisfied with the response you got on the ship.  What are you asking for advice on, how to pursue it further, or whether to pursue it further?

On 4/5/2019 at 7:12 PM, Organized Chaos said:

Let's not forget that it happened for 21 different drinks over the span of the entire cruise. Including on a night the OP wasn't even in the MDR. That's no simple mistake. Someone knew what they were doing and should have to answer for it, regardless of whether the OP was monetarily charged or not. That's what irks me about Guest Service's response. It's not about walking away without having to pay anything out of pocket. Someone accessed a passenger's S&S account without permission. And was doing it to benefit other people, not a person in the OP's party. At the very least, it's a violation of trust between a passenger and the people entrusted to securely handle their accounts.

I totally agree with you.  Those who say "forget it" are missing the point...I'm sure this did not "ruin" her cruise it just brought up a valid honesty point. .....and in this day and age we need "honesty" to be cherished not dismissed.

• Like 1

I think this needs to be addressed by Carnival. It is some one using a persons S&S  without their permission. The Cheers Package says no sharing. Sharing was done without her knowledge and it had to be done by a staff member. 

• Like 1

I see a "first world problem" being turned into a potential [for the server] "third world catastrophe." 

I LOVED my last cruise. My only complaint, though it did not keep me from having an incredible time, was that someone in my party kept making complaints on every little thing [and they were "real" things] I spent quite a bit of time following directly behind and doing "damage control."

You know, probably, as many have noted, the server wrote down you and your moms' folio numbers the first night, and mixed them up with another table. 

I hope you understand that the people who work in service jobs on most cruise ships are GROSSLY underpaid. YES, even if they are making more money than they would in their home country, they still are GROSSLY underpaid. If, by chance the server was doing what you are intimating, well, if a person is being screwed, these things are more likely to happen. Oh well.

But if you truly believe that carrying this further is the "right thing to do," well, take a big swig from that tankard of Schaadenfreude, and have fun.

On 4/8/2019 at 6:54 AM, FSHLOT said:

I seriously cant understand how people can just say "Let it go".  The cheerleaders are out in full swing. Just let the waiter continue to use your S&S card number, right? Geez . I guess the fact it happened 21 times doesnt matter to the loyalist.

The infamous C word thrown out to squash any argument that does not match...oh wait loyalist also...let's add basher...now it is complete.  All of which has zero to do with the post.

6 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

The infamous C word thrown out to squash any argument that does not match...oh wait loyalist also...let's add basher...now it is complete.  All of which has zero to do with the post.

You rest my case..thanks

Rah-Rah-Rah      

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

And this response literally has nothing to do about this thread. Maybe you just like adding to your post count. 

So, your ok with the waiter using a passengers Cheers number? Or maybe you think it's not a big deal? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FSHLOT said:

And this response literally has nothing to do about this thread. Maybe you just like adding to your post count. 

So, your ok with the waiter using a passengers Cheers number? Or maybe you think it's not a big deal? 

Not at all, I have no idea what happened, and I added up with a question to the OP (see post 64). My post was in regards to having to use “cheerleader” comment  as a reference to a comment.  I do not care if an opinion differs from mine, why can’t we just state our thoughts?  What is the right number of posts to have?  Is there a max or minimum?  Did it add to your argument to be decisive?

Edited by jimbo5544

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not at all, I have no idea what happened, and I added up with a question to the OP (see post 64). My post was in regards to having to use “cheerleader” comment  as a reference to a comment.  I do not care if an opinion differs from mine, why can’t we just state our thoughts?  What is the right number of posts to have?  Is there a max or minimum?  Did it add to your argument to be decisive?

Sorry, but its obvious you do care when someone differs from your opinion. You post enough on here to see that. Everytime someone talks bad about CCL, there you are to question there opinion. Dont take offense to the "Cheerleader" comment, all these boards have them.

6 minutes ago, FSHLOT said:

Sorry, but its obvious you do care when someone differs from your opinion. You post enough on here to see that. Everytime someone talks bad about CCL, there you are to question there opinion. Dont take offense to the "Cheerleader" comment, all these boards have them.

... obviously you care as well, yet I can make my points without degrading another poster and that makes one of us.  You did not answer my question, what IS the right number of posts?  Does posting more than you invalidate my responses?  

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

... obviously you care as well, yet I can make my points without degrading another poster and that makes one of us.  You did not answer my question, what IS the right number of posts?  Does posting more than you invalidate my responses?  

Now you know the mods wont let this continue, so ill just say, post all you want. 

On 4/7/2019 at 5:51 PM, A2Mich said:

Crew get free coffee, have to pay for soda, and most crew are not allowed to buy alcohol from passenger bars.  

They have their own bars where they can purchase alcohol.

There are some staff that can use passenger facilities, but most cannot. 

Crew have their own green cards to facilitate purchases...

like this (a blank, yet to be assigned)

Green card -blank.jpg

• Like 1

I would definitely follow this up.  Make a copy of your final sail and sign statement.  Write a concise letter of what happened - how you weren't even in the dining room one night and soda/coffee was charged to one of your accounts, etc.  Mail it certified to Carnival.  This should not have happened - even if you weren't charged for it.

• Like 1