Can you buy AA upgrade to premium economy?

CasaM

We're planning a Fall trip, into Cdg and out of ZRH.  We have free air thru Viking.  In the past, we've had our ticket cut early and then bid on economy plus seats. The best flights look like AA, which we've never used. Can you bid and pay for an upgrade....all the research I've done indicates you need frequent flyer status.

AA have Main Cabin Extra which has extra legroom (plus exit rows) and in some cases one less seat per row. You can pay a supplement to get these seats, or if you have certain levels of AA/oneworld frequent flyer status then can choose it for free for all passengers on your reservation. This is ticketed the same as economy class. 

They are also rolling out a true premium economy cabin on some longhaul aircraft. This is a seat almost identical to domestic first class on quite a few Airbus aircraft and some 737s. This is ticketed as a separate cabin of service altogether.

What you want and how you get it depends on your cruise air ticket. As those things are so opaque it's hard to know exactly what you can get and how.

I flew AA two years ago on tickets through the cruise line.  I had booked coach through the cruise line and then upgraded myself to Main Cabin Extra by paying extra.   Delta would not allow me to do that last summer because they said the cruise line was the travel agent of record and all changes had to come through them.

So, it depends.  I would call the airlines and make sure you can do it on your own first.  If not, book the level of service you want through the cruise line.

8 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

???

Not aware that AA had any kind of "bidding" system for upgrades.

I had assumed they were referring to other carriers since that was followed up by, "AA, which we've never used". 

AA don't have any bidding system for upgrades. 

Thank you all for your replies....last trip we were on Lufthansa...the cruise line booked the ticket and we then went to our reservation online and bought an upgraded seat.  That's what I'd like to do.  The flights thru AA are really the best timewise for us, so I'll probably give it a shot.

Assuming that you are booked economy and looking for Main Cabin Extra that shouldn't be an issue regardless of what the cruiseline ticket ends up being. I'd have thought as soon as it is ticketed you should be able to pay the supplement for MCE.

In terms of upgrading to true premium economy that all depends on what the cruiseline throw you in. There could be a bazillion different fare buckets and restrictions. You could find yourself with a non-upgradeable ticket and you might not find that out until it's too late.

Once you login AA website with your confirmation #, you can select the seats by yourself, preferred seats come with a price tag, as long as you select and pay with your credit card, you are good to go.   I paid $150/person for the first row, and most likely they are not cheap! 

And just so everyone remembers....there is a difference between the "premium economy" that is in the thread title and the "economy plus" seats that the OP writes about in the first post.  Big difference.  Let's be sure not to conflate the two.

Flyer talker....thank you for the clarification... I did not realize there was a difference...what is the difference?

6rugrats....once Viking cut the tickets I had a locator number and could bring up my reservation on the airline online and make seat changes.

11 minutes ago, CasaM said:

Flyer talker....thank you for the clarification... I did not realize there was a difference...what is the difference?

6rugrats....once Viking cut the tickets I had a locator number and could bring up my reservation on the airline online and make seat changes.

*cough*

On 4/5/2019 at 6:10 PM, fbgd said:

AA have Main Cabin Extra which has extra legroom (plus exit rows) and in some cases one less seat per row. You can pay a supplement to get these seats, or if you have certain levels of AA/oneworld frequent flyer status then can choose it for free for all passengers on your reservation. This is ticketed the same as economy class. 

They are also rolling out a true premium economy cabin on some longhaul aircraft. This is a seat almost identical to domestic first class on quite a few Airbus aircraft and some 737s. This is ticketed as a separate cabin of service altogether

Edited by fbgd