Pre-set Tables in World Cafe Is Creeping Me Out

SargassoPirate

14 hours ago, lextrvlr said:

To “acwmom”

Obviously Viking knows that the mats aren't sanitary or they wouldn't bother to remove them when they know they have a problem. Having operated hotels for over 30 years with numerous food and beverage venues, I can tell you that the rims of glassware were considered sacrosanct. Our waiters and waitresses (in my time we had both!) knew that touching those rims when placing or removing glassware was verboten and reason for dismissal. Glassware rims touching “dirty” place mats should also be verboten.

Is Viking continuing to use them because some ____ designer thinks they look nice?

In talking to the restaurant manager, Viking's corporate standard is that the tables in the World Cafe, the Pool Cafe, and the Explorers Lounge be preset with the plastic placemats and that the tumblers and coffee cups be inverted so that the rims rest on the mat.  Further, the standard is to place the silverware directly on the mat.

He got nervous when I started asking him about returning tumblers and coffee cups to the stacks to be reused to preset another table and why the same staff clear the tables and then reset them. Suddenly he remembered an appointment and left.

These sub-standard practices are done in full view of passengers, the vast majority of whom are clueless and have to be told to wash their hands like children.

These sub-standard practices are the corporate standard, as evidenced by observation and photo illustrations used by VO to entice one to cruise and dine with them.

Corporate cultures are slow to change and usually only after some catastrophe - after which there will be an intense search for guilty parties.

Screenshot_20190411-085013~01.png

20 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Haha, I knew you would get it, Contessa!

The rest of you, lighten up.

These overly uptight folks should only eat at home or never go out in public at all.

We managed to survive  29 days on Viking and ate three times a day and had no illnesses..👍👍

• Like 4

6 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

In talking to the restaurant manager, Viking's corporate standard is that the tables in the World Cafe, the Pool Cafe, and the Explorers Lounge be preset with the plastic placemats and that the tumblers and coffee cups be inverted so that the rims rest on the mat.  Further, the standard is to place the silverware directly on the mat.

He got nervous when I started asking him about returning tumblers and coffee cups to the stacks to be reused to preset another table and why the same staff clear the tables and then reset them. Suddenly he remembered an appointment and left.

These sub-standard practices are done in full view of passengers, the vast majority of whom are clueless and have to be told to wash their hands like children.

Hate to break the news to you restaurants of all kinds have staff clear the tables and then reset them.  In the past I worked as a busboy.  The job description was when the guests were seated I was to fill their water glasses and drop off bread.  Then assist the server in clearing plates as courses were completed.  Then when the guest leave clearing any remaining items (plates, flatware, etc) and reset the table.  Unless I got food on my hands, very rarely was hand washing was done.

This type of activities continue to this day in restaurants all over the US, corporate or independent.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

These overly uptight folks should only eat at home or never go out in public at all.

We managed to survive  29 days on Viking and ate three times a day and had no illnesses..👍👍

4 years ago I was admitted to the hospital with Staph sepsis in septic shock - in other words, had I come to the ER an hour later I would have been dead. I spent 2 months in the hospital - 2 of which were in the ICU intubated. I had a couple of complications - one that caused me lose 40 lbs (mostly muscle) and my kidneys shut down requiring 3 times a week dialysis for 6 months (fortunately my kidneys recovered enough to get off dialysis but they are damaged). I spent 2 weeks in a rehab center relearning to walk. In general, I have never recovered fully - especially my muscle strength.

The cause of sepsis was never determined but since then I have never looked at infections of any kind the same. Even the smallest scratch concerns me whereas I would have just ignored it before.

After an experience like this I suspect you might feel differently as well and a little less cavalier about getting infected by anything - including food born illnesses.

Despite this experience I refuse to “only eat at home or never go out in public at all” as you suggest. I am just a little more careful than I used to be.

Edited by Paulchili

3 hours ago, orchestrapal said:

or we could eat in restaurants that use linens on the tables and/or set their glassware upright.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Paul, sorry to hear about your experience.   We should be careful but we can't live in a bubble.  Even being careful there is no guarantee we will be free of illness.

4 hours ago, Paulchili said:

4 years ago I was admitted to the hospital with Staph sepsis in septic shock - in other words, had I come to the ER an hour later I would have been dead. I spent 2 months in the hospital - 2 of which were in the ICU intubated. I had a couple of complications - one that caused me lose 40 lbs (mostly muscle) and my kidneys shut down requiring 3 times a week dialysis for 6 months (fortunately my kidneys recovered enough to get off dialysis but they are damaged). I spent 2 weeks in a rehab center relearning to walk. In general, I have never recovered fully - especially my muscle strength.

The cause of sepsis was never determined but since then I have never looked at infections of any kind the same. Even the smallest scratch concerns me whereas I would have just ignored it before.

After an experience like this I suspect you might feel differently as well and a little less cavalier about getting infected by anything - including food born illnesses.

Despite this experience I refuse to “only eat at home or never go out in public at all” as you suggest. I am just a little more careful than I used to be.

So sorry you had that experience. 

41 minutes ago, orchestrapal said:

So sorry you had that experience. 

Thank you. It was a truly life changing experience where not only did I not have a full recovery but because of this unexpected and sudden experience I have become a little bit of a hypochondriac whereas before I was anything but that.

Edited by Paulchili

10 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Thank you. It was a truly life changing experience where not only did I not have a full recovery but because of this unexpected and sudden experience I have become a little bit of a hypochondriac whereas before I was anything but that.

Understandably so. I experienced a DVT in my neck just before we flew out for a cruise to Alaska a few years ago. I’m a little concerned about flying and drink so much water these days. 

3 hours ago, Pushka said:

Understandably so. I experienced a DVT in my neck just before we flew out for a cruise to Alaska a few years ago. I’m a little concerned about flying and drink so much water these days. 

How does water help?

19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

How does water help?

Helps with ensuring I don’t get dehydrated and that helps maintain good blood flow. Dehydration causes issues with blood flow and makes you more at risk of clotting. 

Edited by Pushka

On 4/17/2019 at 8:58 AM, orchestrapal said:

I've trekked and camped in bear country over 29 times and I've never been eaten by a grizzly.  That doesn't mean that I don't take precautions or that I am not aware of my surroundings.

You have been 29 days lucky and I hope your luck continues, even when you sit down to the World Cafe and the previous guest sneezed all over the table and the waiter sanitized the placemat by using sneezy's napkin to wipe it off before putting your tumbler and coffee cup upside down on the mat. Yum yum 

16 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

I've trekked and camped in bear country over 29 times and I've never been eaten by a grizzly.  That doesn't mean that I don't take precautions or that I am not aware of my surroundings.

You have been 29 days lucky and I hope your luck continues, even when you sit down to the World Cafe and the previous guest sneezed all over the table and the waiter sanitized the placemat by using sneezy's napkin to wipe it off before putting your tumbler and coffee cup upside down on the mat. Yum yum 

I'm glad to see you are keeping everything in perspective.  Since you have time to major in the minors, what are the odds this would happen?  I'm not saying it couldn't but really?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

Sure it's good to be careful but there are other risks on a ship.  You could fall down the stairs, fall off your balcony and so on.  Let's not panic.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 2:29 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Screenshot_20190411-085013~01.png

I am thankful that we have you to watch over us, the clueless, childlike, filthy handed, vast majority. 

I also appreciate that you comment in such a friendly non condescending manner. 

Edited by jasardeax
Error
  • Like 4

I've learned a lot from this thread and I am very grateful to the OP.  In the future, I will be more vigilant, more concerned about hand washing, etc.  On our previous cruises, I have been careful about being in the public restrooms and have heeded the signs to open the (upon leaving) using a paper towel.  

• Like 1

We're off on our first Viking cruise in July to the Med.  Very excited.  Have previously cruised on several Princess & 1 Crystal cruise.  I plan to be careful in my sanitation practices and bring sanitizer, wash hands, etc.  I've had food poisoning twice in the  distant past on land based trips & would never wish it on anybody.  Not the same as noro but neither is good.  Healthy sailing to all!

Leslie

I have been reading this topic with interest. Many years ago I got Norovirus on a land based holiday. When I told the doctor what I’d eaten and where it was very likely it came from a cafe where someone in the kitchen was not washing their hands. I was so poorly I've never forgotten it. I always take a brand of sanitising wipes wherever I go, it’s a brand they use in  English hospitals called Clinell and will deal with a whole load of nasties.  The first thing I do when I get on the plane is wipe all around my seat,  tray table, window etc. People may think I’ve got some OCD thing but I don’t care. In public conveniences I have, in the past been asked if I’m a doctor while at the wash basins for the way I wash my hands. Few people realise hand washing should take 20 seconds at least. It is a touchy subject and many find it insulting to question their hygiene practices but Norovirus is dreadful and if you have a weakened immune system (from cancer treatment for example) or are elderly or very young it can hold much worse consequences.

Edited by G. GIRL

On 4/22/2019 at 5:04 AM, G. GIRL said:

I have been reading this topic with interest. Many years ago I got Norovirus on a land based holiday. When I told the doctor what I’d eaten and where it was very likely it came from a cafe where someone in the kitchen was not washing their hands. I was so poorly I've never forgotten it. I always take a brand of sanitising wipes wherever I go, it’s a brand they use in  English hospitals called Clinell and will deal with a whole load of nasties.  The first thing I do when I get on the plane is wipe all around my seat,  tray table, window etc. People may think I’ve got some OCD thing but I don’t care. In public conveniences I have, in the past been asked if I’m a doctor while at the wash basins for the way I wash my hands. Few people realise hand washing should take 20 seconds at least. It is a touchy subject and many find it insulting to question their hygiene practices but Norovirus is dreadful and if you have a weakened immune system (from cancer treatment for example) or are elderly or very young it can hold much worse consequences.

I got Noro from someone clearly ill on the metro in DC.  It can happen anywhere.