Costa Maya, Mexico

Karen Lynn

Hi. We went to Maya Chan. It was a small beach resort. The package included transportation, food/drinks, beach chairs and an umbrella. The food and drinks were great. Wonderful staff too. Very comfortable. The only problem was the seaweed in the ocean!  It's extreme!  They had staff constantly raking it up. The seaweed is a problem in the caribbean. Nevertheless, i would recommend it. Check tripadvisor for info. 

We visited Costa Maya in March. There is a area just off the ship with shops Bars and a large Pool no beach. I suspect if they did not book a tour most people never get past this area. We took a shuttle into town $4 each. There is a pedestrian street, the beach is on one side bars stores etc on the other. Each bar/restaurant run a section of beach in front of their establishment, free to sit as long as you order a beer or food.  The beach isn't the best but not bad. When you get off the ship the pick up area for tours is right at the end of the Pier but to find the shuttle into town you must walk through the area with the shops etc. Not the easiest to find. Another thing we found strange, you must take the shuttle into town ( a kind of train thing) but on the way back you must take a cab which was cheaper. Hope this helps. 

50 minutes ago, Karen Lynn said:

Anyone tell me what's to do in this port? Never been ...nice beach (s)? 

Beach day?

Thanks!

You will get a lot more suggestions on the Costa Maya board.

basically beach day either AI at Maya Chan or Almaplena, or one if the many  beach bars in Mahahual, (5-10 mins from port), water park, ruins or stay in port complex.

Beaches are hit and miss on the day, depending on seaweed situation. All the beaches in the area are east coast (which are the ones affected in the Caribbean) -  so if one is affected they all will be, and it will depend how well they are cleared. 

Many of the beaches also have seagrass.

Maya Chan can be a good option depending on your port hours but longer time taken in transport.

We took a shuttle from the port to Tropicante  in Mahahual ... I think it was like $2 pp ... a cab is similar in price.  What a great day we had there.  We made reservations ahead of time and Steve had a table with lounge chairs available for us in the shade.  We got drinks, food, massages, went swimming, a little shopping ... and a great time all the way around.  If I were in Costa Maya again, this is exactly what I would plan on doing.  

If you are on FB, there is also a page on there for this place.  Image may contain: one or more people, plant, tree, sky, outdoor and nature

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g499450-d1421462-Reviews-Tropicante_Ameri_Mex_Grill-Mahahual_Costa_Maya_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

I second Tropicante. The Crazy Lobster is also good with a similar beach. In my opinion the shopping area at the port is a nightmare! You can find taxis if you go thru and outside the shopping area. There are some breaks in the shops so you can access the parking lot where the taxis are. Usually $3 pp going to Mahajual "town" and $2 pp coming back to port. 

• Like 1

Once we took a tour to the Chacchoban ruins with Native Choice and really enjoyed that. During another trip, our itinerary got changed during the cruise and we ended up going to Costa Maya on a different day and had to cancel our reservations at one of the beach clubs there. We ended up taking a taxi from the port to the town of Mahauhual (about $2 each way), visited the lighthouse, walked around town and hung out on the beach near the light house. It turned out to be a really good way to spend our day.