Does anyone take Rubles to Russia?

I’m going with TJ tours as I’ve heard such good reports, but how do I pay tips to the tour people.  I will pay for the tours by credit card.  I really don’t want to get Russian money.  Any ideas?

Edited by dlwfarm

5 hours ago, dlwfarm said:

I’m going with TJ tours as I’ve heard such good reports, but how do I pay tips to the tour people.  I will pay for the tours by credit card.  I really don’t want to get Russian money.  Any ideas?

Give them some USD, GBP or Euros.  They’ll manage quite nicely.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 9:11 AM, Jezabel2924 said:

Our tour company gave instructions that tips were accepted in Rubles, US Dollars and Euros.  We used $$$ and had envelopes made up for tips ahead of time.  

Appreciate this information. Was prepared to go to ATM. 

On 6/10/2019 at 8:05 AM, mskaufman said:

We had a two day tour with SPB.  We brought about $20 in rubles with us and used them to buy a nesting doll.  Other than that, we had no expenses that required rubles.

Would you have been able to buy the nesting doll with EURO or USD? wondering if I need to get Rubles for my upcoming cruise. TIA

We paid by a credit card for our nesting dolls in the souvenir shop near the St Isaac’s cathedral. Unfortunately, I can’t remember the name of the shop, our guide brought us there on the way back to the ship. However, I’m sure you won't have any difficulty in finding Matryoshka Doll as there are plenty of the decent souvenir shops in the downtown and most of them accept credit cards.

Regarding Rubles, you may need to have some on you just to buy small things on the street such as an ice-cream.

You really do not need to have Rubles with you since most establishments accept credit cards. But I think it would be nice to have a few Rubles especially if you like buying stuff sold on the street or buying from small souvenir vendors. There are ATMs at the port and that's where we got a few Rubles we brought with us during our shore excursion. 

On 6/23/2019 at 7:06 PM, fiveparty said:

Would you have been able to buy the nesting doll with EURO or USD? wondering if I need to get Rubles for my upcoming cruise. TIA

I collect Russian Santas and bought 6 throughout St. Petersburg all with a CC.   There is a very large selection of Matryoshka dolls at several shops in the Cruise Ship Terminal and the prices were comparable to the shops in town.  (I found some of the best Santas there)  All take CC.  We had no need for Rubles anywhere.

We didn't take any roubles with us for the shore excursion in St. Petersburg. We paid by card to Red Sun Tours on arrival. As i know all restaurants and shops take cards there.