4 of us sharing a balcony room

turning50

3 girlfriends and myself are planning a cruise to celebrate turning 50. I was thinking 2 interior rooms. however one of the girls says I need daylight to wake up an alarm won't be enough for me. So now we are looking at all four of us staying in a balcony room on the valor. We are on a tight budget. They know someone will have to sleep on a upper. I am not ok on s bunk and made that clear but 2 of the other 3 are ok with that and are going to work it out between the two of them. I am pretty low maintainance. Is this doable. we are planing on driving from stl to nolo.

If you are organized people, and don't bring a lot of stuff with you it might be doable.  I think your original plan would be better, the bathrooms are small and how are you going to break up shower time between the four of you? 

The one who needs daylight to wake up just needs to keep the tv on to the ship's navigation channel and the bow cam will "lighten" the room with the sunrise.  

• Like 1

Honestly, four adults in a single stateroom with only one bathroom would be a tight fit, IMO.  Maybe do an inside and a balcony across the hall - then you get the balcony along with two bathrooms and the additional cost hopefully will be manageable based on one being and inside.

• Like 1

Two interiors would be so much better than four adults sharing a balcony.  I would get connecting interiors. As for the person who needs to wake up to daylight, I think turning the TV on that displays the outside camera might work. Another option is for her to get one of those clocks that start to light up in the morning.  If not two insides, then I would do an inside and an ocean view since you are on a budget.  I can't imagine sharing a small cabin that has a tiny bathroom and close living quarters with three other adults.  I do think you can make it work, but it will be a challenge.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Two interiors would be so much better than four adults sharing a balcony.  I would get connecting interiors. As for the person who needs to wake up to daylight, I think turning the TV on that displays the outside camera might work. Another option is for her to get one of those clocks that start to light up in the morning.  If not two insides, then I would do an inside and an ocean view since you are on a budget.  I can't imagine sharing a small cabin that has a tiny bathroom and close living quarters with three other adults.  I do think you can make it work, but it will be a challenge.

Per above ....

Yes, it would  certainly be a challenge!  

If the only issue is natural light, I would book an OV cabin.  Why?  On the Conquest class of Carnival, which Valor is one of, the OV cabins are larger than the balconies.  The space that would be the balcony on higher decks is part of the inside space in the OV cabins.  There will be a queen/king that separates into twins and a couch that makes into a bed (not foldout) and the upper bunk.  It's not a lot of space, but better than the inside, cheaper than a balcony, too.  EM

On 4/7/2019 at 5:01 AM, spookwife said:

if I wanted to remain friends, I'd  never book one cabin for 4 adults.  

My sentiments exactly!

On 4/7/2019 at 6:32 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Very good point - especially since we already know that one of the four must have her way when it comes to “needs” daylight to wake up.

If one of the four must have her way, I would definitely book the 2 insides and then flip a coin to see who shares the stateroom with the TV on (muted) in order to provide the light needed to awaken.

Edited by dogs4fun

It is so dependent on all playing nice. We have traveled with our adult kids in an inside room and it was fine. But we all pick up after ourselves and put a lot of effort in to making it work. It only takes one person changing the routine and things can go haywire.

• Like 2

OP, check out the new thread on this subject on the Holland America board.  Lots of good thoughts.

And I'm sticking with my Two Inside Cabins recommendation.  They could be connecting; you could leave the connecting door open if you like.  I can't even imagine four toothbrushes in one bathroom and four hairbrushes and seapass cards on one dresser.

On 4/6/2019 at 4:13 PM, turning50 said:

I was thinking 2 interior rooms. however one of the girls says I need daylight to wake up an alarm won't be enough for me.

wouldn't the other lady in the room be able to wake her up?

I wouldn't do a bunk for myself. I am in my early 40s, not agile, and had a hard time climbing up ONCE, when my kid got sick on a cruise and insisted on sleeping in my lower bed. No, thanks!

There are 3 of us in a cabin when we travel. The 3rd is a 8 yo kid. It's very crowded, and no place for suitcases.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

41 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Just curious - where are you putting them now?  They typically fit under the beds - with room enough for four. 

we don't unpack our suitcases and live out of them, so it's important for us to have them flat on the floor, ready to be opened. On Princess they fit that way at the bottom of the closet, but in the inside room on the Allure (with a sofa bed), the bottom of the closet was inaccessible because the sofa was right in front of it.

So, we put one suitcase under the desk, and the other one had to be zipped and stored upright between the bed and the sofa bed. It may be too dusty under the bed, and with DH's allergies we didn't want to take chances.

17 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we don't unpack our suitcases and live out of them, so it's important for us to have them flat on the floor, ready to be opened. On Princess they fit that way at the bottom of the closet, but in the inside room on the Allure (with a sofa bed), the bottom of the closet was inaccessible because the sofa was right in front of it.

So, we put one suitcase under the desk, and the other one had to be zipped and stored upright between the bed and the sofa bed. It may be too dusty under the bed, and with DH's allergies we didn't want to take chances.

Oh OK - got it.  We do just the opposite - we unpack everything, store the suitcases under the beds, and then each day put our clothes worn that day into the suitcase(s).  By the last night we're 90% packed.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2019 at 2:25 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Why do you live out of your suitcases.  I assume you are cruising for a week.  I don’t get it

• Like 2