Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
turning50

4 of us sharing a balcony room

Recommended Posts

3 girlfriends and myself are planning a cruise to celebrate turning 50. I was thinking 2 interior rooms. however one of the girls says I need daylight to wake up an alarm won't be enough for me. So now we are looking at all four of us staying in a balcony room on the valor. We are on a tight budget. They know someone will have to sleep on a upper. I am not ok on s bunk and made that clear but 2 of the other 3 are ok with that and are going to work it out between the two of them. I am pretty low maintainance. Is this doable. we are planing on driving from stl to nolo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are organized people, and don't bring a lot of stuff with you it might be doable.  I think your original plan would be better, the bathrooms are small and how are you going to break up shower time between the four of you? 

The one who needs daylight to wake up just needs to keep the tv on to the ship's navigation channel and the bow cam will "lighten" the room with the sunrise.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, four adults in a single stateroom with only one bathroom would be a tight fit, IMO.  Maybe do an inside and a balcony across the hall - then you get the balcony along with two bathrooms and the additional cost hopefully will be manageable based on one being and inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or oceanview across from interior.

What is the bed arrangement for four in the one cabin?  Two overhead bunks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you do it, you will need to find the nearest public bathroom. You never know when that information will be critical 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two interiors would be so much better than four adults sharing a balcony.  I would get connecting interiors. As for the person who needs to wake up to daylight, I think turning the TV on that displays the outside camera might work. Another option is for her to get one of those clocks that start to light up in the morning.  If not two insides, then I would do an inside and an ocean view since you are on a budget.  I can't imagine sharing a small cabin that has a tiny bathroom and close living quarters with three other adults.  I do think you can make it work, but it will be a challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's doable....and you will probably only be in the room to sleep and dress.  Hope you are GOOD friends!  I wouldn't do it, but if you can, go for it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Double post ....

Edited by OCruisers
double post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Two interiors would be so much better than four adults sharing a balcony.  I would get connecting interiors. As for the person who needs to wake up to daylight, I think turning the TV on that displays the outside camera might work. Another option is for her to get one of those clocks that start to light up in the morning.  If not two insides, then I would do an inside and an ocean view since you are on a budget.  I can't imagine sharing a small cabin that has a tiny bathroom and close living quarters with three other adults.  I do think you can make it work, but it will be a challenge.

 

Per above ....

Yes, it would  certainly be a challenge!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’d also suggest the two cabin option...or book one ocean view/balcony and one inside. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Very tight fit - I would opt for the 2 inside cabins. TV should brighten the stateroom if left on.

Edited by dogs4fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if I wanted to remain friends, I'd  never book one cabin for 4 adults.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spookwife said:

if I wanted to remain friends, I'd  never book one cabin for 4 adults.  

Very good point - especially since we already know that one of the four must have her way when it comes to “needs” daylight to wake up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the only issue is natural light, I would book an OV cabin.  Why?  On the Conquest class of Carnival, which Valor is one of, the OV cabins are larger than the balconies.  The space that would be the balcony on higher decks is part of the inside space in the OV cabins.  There will be a queen/king that separates into twins and a couch that makes into a bed (not foldout) and the upper bunk.  It's not a lot of space, but better than the inside, cheaper than a balcony, too.  EM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JMO -- but I would book 2 inside cabins.  That way you have 2 bathrooms.

 

4 adults trying to share one bathroom -- no way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2019 at 5:01 AM, spookwife said:

if I wanted to remain friends, I'd  never book one cabin for 4 adults.  

My sentiments exactly!

On 4/7/2019 at 6:32 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Very good point - especially since we already know that one of the four must have her way when it comes to “needs” daylight to wake up.

If one of the four must have her way, I would definitely book the 2 insides and then flip a coin to see who shares the stateroom with the TV on (muted) in order to provide the light needed to awaken.

Edited by dogs4fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is so dependent on all playing nice. We have traveled with our adult kids in an inside room and it was fine. But we all pick up after ourselves and put a lot of effort in to making it work. It only takes one person changing the routine and things can go haywire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP, check out the new thread on this subject on the Holland America board.  Lots of good thoughts.

And I'm sticking with my Two Inside Cabins recommendation.  They could be connecting; you could leave the connecting door open if you like.  I can't even imagine four toothbrushes in one bathroom and four hairbrushes and seapass cards on one dresser.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One stubborn cabinmate of  four spells turmoil in 1 cabin .

Go for 2 cabins . 4 is a crowd  no matter what category .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2019 at 4:13 PM, turning50 said:

I was thinking 2 interior rooms. however one of the girls says I need daylight to wake up an alarm won't be enough for me.

wouldn't the other lady in the room be able to wake her up?

I wouldn't do a bunk for myself. I am in my early 40s, not agile, and had a hard time climbing up ONCE, when my kid got sick on a cruise and insisted on sleeping in my lower bed. No, thanks!

 

There are 3 of us in a cabin when we travel. The 3rd is a 8 yo kid. It's very crowded, and no place for suitcases.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

 

.....and no place for suitcases.

 

Just curious - where are you putting them now?  They typically fit under the beds - with room enough for four. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

 

Just curious - where are you putting them now?  They typically fit under the beds - with room enough for four. 

we don't unpack our suitcases and live out of them, so it's important for us to have them flat on the floor, ready to be opened. On Princess they fit that way at the bottom of the closet, but in the inside room on the Allure (with a sofa bed), the bottom of the closet was inaccessible because the sofa was right in front of it.

So, we put one suitcase under the desk, and the other one had to be zipped and stored upright between the bed and the sofa bed. It may be too dusty under the bed, and with DH's allergies we didn't want to take chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we don't unpack our suitcases and live out of them, so it's important for us to have them flat on the floor, ready to be opened. On Princess they fit that way at the bottom of the closet, but in the inside room on the Allure (with a sofa bed), the bottom of the closet was inaccessible because the sofa was right in front of it.

So, we put one suitcase under the desk, and the other one had to be zipped and stored upright between the bed and the sofa bed. It may be too dusty under the bed, and with DH's allergies we didn't want to take chances.

Oh OK - got it.  We do just the opposite - we unpack everything, store the suitcases under the beds, and then each day put our clothes worn that day into the suitcase(s).  By the last night we're 90% packed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We unpack everything and put things away in closets and shelves provided .

Luggage under the bed 

We are not camping out , just living comfortably away from home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/12/2019 at 2:25 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

we don't unpack our suitcases and live out of them, so it's important for us to have them flat on the floor, ready to be opened. On Princess they fit that way at the bottom of the closet, but in the inside room on the Allure (with a sofa bed), the bottom of the closet was inaccessible because the sofa was right in front of it.

So, we put one suitcase under the desk, and the other one had to be zipped and stored upright between the bed and the sofa bed. It may be too dusty under the bed, and with DH's allergies we didn't want to take chances.

  Why do you live out of your suitcases.  I assume you are cruising for a week.  I don’t get it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...