4 of us sharing a balcony room

turning50

On 4/6/2019 at 1:13 PM, turning50 said:

3 girlfriends and myself are planning a cruise to celebrate turning 50. I was thinking 2 interior rooms. however one of the girls says I need daylight to wake up an alarm won't be enough for me. So now we are looking at all four of us staying in a balcony room on the valor. We are on a tight budget. They know someone will have to sleep on a upper. I am not ok on s bunk and made that clear but 2 of the other 3 are ok with that and are going to work it out between the two of them. I am pretty low maintenance. Is this doable. we are planing on driving from stl to nolo.

I would just tell her to buy a louder alarm clock.  Why should 3 people have to jump through hoops just because one claims that she can't get up unless she has daylight.

Another thought and this assumes that one of you will be getting up before the "must have daylight" person.  Bring a really high intensity flashlight and shine it in her face when it is time to get up.  Or else shake her until she gets up.  

I predict an interesting cruise.  Have you guys ever traveled together before?

DON

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LynnTTT said:

Why do you live out of your suitcases.  I assume you are cruising for a week.  I don’t get it

dang it, I typed up the answer and then it got lost.

Shortly, we go the minimalist way, I pack stuff that doesn't wrinkle, we fish out clothing for the day and throw it in a "dirty" bag at the end of the day.

I agree with many others.  No 4 adults in a stateroom. 

I would say, I'm getting an interior. Who wants in with me? Ms. Daylight can do whatever she wants. Who wants in with her? If she can't get up in the morning, what does she do in the winter time? Skip work? Call in because the sun didn't come up by 6 am?

And, I'd tell her, you're on vacation, sleep all day if you want. If you manage to wake up by noon, or by supper time, come find us.  Will you truly sleep continuously around the clock while your cabin  mate crashes around using the bathroom, turning on lights, getting dressed, etc?

Frankly she sounds like no fun to travel with, high maintenance, gets her way over everyone else. Because, wait. WHO is turning 50 here? Is it you? I thought it was you. There are electric lights in the room.  Her roommate can turn them on. What a ridiculous argument about nothing to the detriment of everyone else.

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 5

On 4/6/2019 at 1:13 PM, turning50 said:

3 girlfriends and myself are planning a cruise to celebrate turning 50. I was thinking 2 interior rooms. however one of the girls says I need daylight to wake up an alarm won't be enough for me. So now we are looking at all four of us staying in a balcony room on the valor. We are on a tight budget. They know someone will have to sleep on a upper. I am not ok on s bunk and made that clear but 2 of the other 3 are ok with that and are going to work it out between the two of them. I am pretty low maintainance. Is this doable. we are planing on driving from stl to nolo.

I agree with others that the two insides would be better.  However, to answer you question, yes it is very doable.  We have done this a couple of times so close relatives who needed to watch their $$ could benefit from lower  3rd & 4th rates.  With a little consideration, teamwork, and a "have fun" attitude, I don't think you will find it to be all that big of a deal.    

Enjoy!

On 4/13/2019 at 3:56 PM, donaldsc said:

I would just tell her to buy a louder alarm clock.  Why should 3 people have to jump through hoops just because one claims that she can't get up unless she has daylight.

Another thought and this assumes that one of you will be getting up before the "must have daylight" person.  Bring a really high intensity flashlight and shine it in her face when it is time to get up.  Or else shake her until she gets up.  

I predict an interesting cruise.  Have you guys ever traveled together before?

DON

Agreed - sadly there is probably one person out of every four who “must have this”  or “can’t do that” — it is probably a kindness to simply ignore her “essentials”  -  and just tell her that when she is with people, she needs to act like a person (or leave her at home).

• Like 2

I have done it with family members & it was fine. The biggest problem for us was one of our cabin mates was a really loud snorer that caused some friction 😊

But if you can afford it two cabins are preferable, even if they are insides.

another suggestion is that the person who needs natural light gets a balcony /OV and pays the difference of who ever shares with her (between inside and whichever cabin she chooses).

Also even with a balcony the curtains are the black-out type and don't allow much light in, does she sleep with curtains open?

will her cabin mates have to get up and open the curtains for her? How does she work it at home?

The more I think about it the stranger it is!

• Like 2

We did four to a cabin for a last minute cruise deal and we had a great time. We kept the cabin neat and all our things put away and we were only in the rooms at bedtime, which turned into a sort of pajama party with us talking and laughing late into the night from our bunks. Everyone was very good about shower time and getting ready. We had an "assembly" line. While the others were having wine on the balcony, the first one showered and moved to the dresser and the next person went to the shower. When you finished getting ready, you chilled on the balcony while the others got ready. We're all pretty low key and low maintenance, I guess. We would do it again.

• Like 1

thanks everyone for your imput. I sent the other 3 girls a viedo of what the room looks like with 4 beds. we have decided to go with a ocean view room. early jan 2020. we will all turn 50 between ovt 2019 and feb 2020

• Like 2

10 hours ago, turning50 said:

thanks everyone for your imput. I sent the other 3 girls a viedo of what the room looks like with 4 beds. we have decided to go with a ocean view room. early jan 2020. we will all turn 50 between ovt 2019 and feb 2020

Great! In spite of all of our input, I'm glad you've made a decision.  I don't think you mentioned what cruise line you chose . . . or maybe I forgot (I've slept since your first post, LOL) but hope you will come back and share your impressions after, both of celebrating aboard and also how the sharing worked out.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:13 AM, Essiesmom said:

They are on Carnival Valor.  EM

thank you Essiesmom.

We are indeed on the Carnival Valor. We got together mon night and I believe we are going to book very soon for jan 13-18. 

It is not "natural light", but a promenade view cabin on Royal Caribbean (on ships with a Royal Promenade) might work. These are inside cabins but with a window that looks onto the Royal Promenade (which is inside the ship).

As previously posted, locate the nearest public restroom. Also, one or more of you could shower in the gym shower if in a hurry.

Edited by Jimnbigd

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2019 at 4:13 PM, turning50 said:

however one of the girls says I need daylight to wake up an alarm won't be enough

Why would anyone be concerned about "waking up"?

I guarantee that everyone wakes up eventually ...... well ..... with the exception of Rip Van Winkle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 7:53 AM, KmomChicago said:

I agree with many others.  No 4 adults in a stateroom. 

I would say, I'm getting an interior. Who wants in with me? Ms. Daylight can do whatever she wants. Who wants in with her? If she can't get up in the morning, what does she do in the winter time? Skip work? Call in because the sun didn't come up by 6 am?

And, I'd tell her, you're on vacation, sleep all day if you want. If you manage to wake up by noon, or by supper time, come find us.  Will you truly sleep continuously around the clock while your cabin  mate crashes around using the bathroom, turning on lights, getting dressed, etc?

Frankly she sounds like no fun to travel with, high maintenance, gets her way over everyone else. Because, wait. WHO is turning 50 here? Is it you? I thought it was you. There are electric lights in the room.  Her roommate can turn them on. What a ridiculous argument about nothing to the detriment of everyone else.

I definitely would not want to be her roommate!

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 8:49 PM, TNcruising02 said:

Two interiors would be so much better than four adults sharing a balcony.  I would get connecting interiors. As for the person who needs to wake up to daylight, I think turning the TV on that displays the outside camera might work. Another option is for her to get one of those clocks that start to light up in the morning.  If not two insides, then I would do an inside and an ocean view since you are on a budget.  I can't imagine sharing a small cabin that has a tiny bathroom and close living quarters with three other adults.  I do think you can make it work, but it will be a challenge.

I was going to suggest the same thing!