New GoPro Settings Advice and Thoughts

I'm new to using the GoPro7 Black I acquired at Christmas. In fact, I'm new at the taking of video, although I've taken a few using Nikon DSLR cameras. I mainly got the 7 to take video while in Alaska this coming summer and while I've shot some around the area I live, especially clips, I'm still foggy on what formats, frame rates, resolution and stabilization might be the best to use for clips I'll be taking in Alaska. I mostly want to document the scenery, excursions, (flights, train rides, whale & glacier watching, & jeep/ATV trips), and cruise travel that we experience. I think I've settled on 4K/30fps/16x9/stabilization on. I've managed to collect lots of batteries, 64gig fast memory cards, chargers and a backup HDD to augment the 7. I'll also be using Nikon DSLR to capture stills with a wide assortment of optics. I am very open to suggestions here on this forum of things I might try and consider. Any help will be appreciated. Just as a point of reference, I've only just touched my toe into the water on the editing post workflow using either CyberLink PowerDirector or Adobe Premier. I've tried a few other video editors but really feel very comfortable with CyberLink product and their support so far.

15 hours ago, havoc315 said:

I love editing video with the Lumafusion app on my ipad. It feels faster, easier and more powerful than any expensive editing software on my laptop. And it's a $20 app. 

Thank you for the heads up. I have never done movie nor image editing on my iPad. I'm fairly sure mine does not have enough memory or horse power but I will look at Lumafusion. I'm a compete rookie at anything movie related. I only use mine for a few astronomy apps. It mainly sits on a bookshelf running Emerald Observatory for iPad. It's an old but beautiful app by Emerald Sequoia, LLC

One thing to keep in mind is that 4K consumes an extraordinary amount of memory. If you have a 4K television, I understand why you might want that. But you can save considerable memory (and editing time, due to the smaller file sizes) if you shoot in 1080p or 2.7K.

30FPS will give you crisp video. Use 24FPS if you're interested in a more cinematic look. Only shoot 60FPS or higher if you intend to feature it as slo mo footage.

The stabilization built into the Hero 7 is unbelievable - you should be very pleased with how smooth your shots are.