New Policy Affecting Calls to Captain's Club...

Lastdance

20 minutes ago, Fogfog said:

I am familiar--  I will say that I find many other cruise lines websites equally bad... difficult to sort...and  cumbersome.  

Not sure why when many retail sites are smoother functioning. 

I always wonder if IT have compromising info on someone that they can be so consistently poor in performance and yet maintain their employment, but that's a whole other discussion. Thankfully, the X on board performance is vastly different than the website performance, and Captains Club reps by and large can handle the fallout from the poor website.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

I always wonder if IT have compromising info on someone that they can be so consistently poor in performance and yet maintain their employment, but that's a whole other discussion. Thankfully, the X on board performance is vastly different than the website performance, and Captains Club reps by and large can handle the fallout from the poor website.

We have had FAR MORE Great service with X than one or two spotty poor incidents.

And On Board I cannot recall anything really poor/terrible with crew etc ever. 

I hear you on the website info  = hahaha!

Looking fwd to our sailing in a few weeks. Will be the last sailing on a pre-revolution ship (initially Infinity was scheduled to be refurbished by now--Dry dock schedules changed) 

On a cruise-- really- what is there to complain about 🙂 cheers

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fogfog said:

We have had FAR MORE Great service with X than one or two spotty poor incidents.

And On Board I cannot recall anything really poor/terrible with crew etc ever. 

I hear you on the website info  = hahaha!

Looking fwd to our sailing in a few weeks. Will be the last sailing on a pre-revolution ship (initially Infinity was scheduled to be refurbished by now--Dry dock schedules changed) 

On a cruise-- really- what is there to complain about 🙂 cheers

Agreed! We sail on Reflection next March. Since Reflection is the newest of X's ships (pre Edge class), it will be the last to be Revolutionized, which is one reason we chose that ship/time. As for the last sentence in your post above, the only thing I can complain about is that the cruise has an ending!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Agreed! We sail on Reflection next March. Since Reflection is the newest of X's ships (pre Edge class), it will be the last to be Revolutionized, which is one reason we chose that ship/time. As for the last sentence in your post above, the only thing I can complain about is that the cruise has an ending!

I agree; the ending of a cruise is always a big downer for me too!  I have the Edge TA at the end of the month and, Reflection TA in November...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Haha 1

I am in the uk but book via US TA and a fews ago I had an issue with what was showing up online in my planner- I emailed cc and they phoned me back the next day and sorted my issue out by the  time I had logged on.  Last week during their excursions sale, as most know there was online issues preventing me booking, I again emailed and they phoned back the next day , during this call the rep helped and apologized for their tech issues stating that if they going to put these sales up over the weekend then they should have the IT backing to sort out issues quickly.  Their service has been above and beyond so far and I hope this is not going to change.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BEAV said:

I called the Captain’s Club yesterday. All I wanted to know was what hotel(s) Celebrity was using in Tokyo as part of their pre and post-cruise program. There was an area in my Cruise Planner to book this type of package, but it was grayed out. Although I wasn’t interested in booking a hotel package, I nevertheless wanted to know which hotels they use in Tokyo. 

While the Agent was very friendly, she was also unable to answer my question. 

A simple question. Or so I thought.......

BEAV,

I'm on your April 27th cruise and about a week ago, I asked our shore-side concierge the same question (I was in the throes of a perceived dilemma about how to get all the way to the check-in point at Oi Wharf and was considering the pre-hotel package with transfer).  She gladly told me she would look to see what hotel they used but I would have to contact my TA to arrange it.  When she found it, she said it was already sold out.  Just for your information, it was the Grand Prince New Takanawa.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

17 minutes ago, bob278 said:

BEAV,

I'm on your April 27th cruise and about a week ago, I asked our shore-side concierge the same question (I was in the throes of a perceived dilemma about how to get all the way to the check-in point at Oi Wharf and was considering the pre-hotel package with transfer).  She gladly told me she would look to see what hotel they used but I would have to contact my TA to arrange it.  When she found it, she said it was already sold out.  Just for your information, it was the Grand Prince New Takanawa.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack.

Thank you! I had a hunch that was the hotel they were using, but wanted to confirm that w/the Captain's Club rep on the phone. 

So a big thanks for confirming my suspicions!  

9 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Update:

I did call and spoke with a very nice supervisor.  I explained how I was treated, along with my question regarding the internet.  In addition, she thanked me for letting her know about my experience and apologized for how I was treated.  Furthermore, she will check in to this situation, as she does not want any client experiencing this when they call.  I assured her that this was my first very negative experience from Captain’s Club, in my many years of cruising, along with sharing how wonderful my previous experiences have always been.

Honestly, I am very glad that I perused this and feel Celebrity does need to know when a representative of theirs is not representing the company in a positive way.

You forgot to mention if the supervisor went ahead and booked your Internet package with your CC discount or did you still have to do it through your TA?

Sorry to read that Captains club rep doesn't respond if you book woth a TA.   I always use a TA. However, I have also relied upon contacting Captains Club to reserve dining times and make requests.  On the ship, I contacted Captains Club to facilitate accomodations due to medical conditions. My cabin steward was useless.  On my recent Reflection cruise, we had a standing dinner reservation time. It worked well. For those that didn't reserve before embarking, there were wait times in the MDR.  Seems crazy to bother making a TA call Celebrity to ask a simple question. azamara does the same thing. I called Azamara to ask a simple question and was told to call my TA. 

7 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You forgot to mention if the supervisor went ahead and booked your Internet package with your CC discount or did you still have to do it through your TA?

Not the OP, but I called yesterday about booking my internet package and spoke with a very nice representative who took care of it with no problem. She even looked into what was up with the excursions showing Punta Cana though the itinerary says Tortola. On a page that she could see (not on the X website for us) there was nothing listed for that day, so her thinking was they are getting it loaded up with the correct ones. I know I have plenty of time to book, but I like to get things settled ASAP.

• Like 1

Just a point of information.  my nephew purchased his cruise from a “big box” store, starting with a C.   He was advised that he couldn’t participate in the move up program as the big big store didn’t participate in the program!  IMO a good reason to book directly   The credits not worth it.

4 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Just a point of information.  my nephew purchased his cruise from a “big box” store, starting with a C.   He was advised that he couldn’t participate in the move up program as the big big store didn’t participate in the program!  IMO a good reason to book directly   The credits not worth it.

I've always suspected something like this because we have been booking all of our cruises through the same big box TA and we have never been offered any move-up options while others on the same cruise in the same category have received the offer.  However my conclusion is different, we don't get any additional OBC, we get gift cards that we use for gas.  That's real money to me.  I'll continue to book the cabin that I want and take the gift cards if that's the trade-off.

On 4/6/2019 at 10:57 PM, Lastdance said:

Wow, when I called Captain's Club today, I spoke to a man by the name of Jason.  I wanted to ask him a question about purchasing internet for my cruise at the end of this month.  I had to give my name, my husband's name and my reservation number.  However, before I could even ask my question, I was told that he could not answer any questions about my reservation or anything else if I went through a travel agent.  He was curt, almost repremanding in his answer and proceded to be rude to the point that I told him that I would call again and speak to another representative, which I did.  She stated the same, but was not rude, just very matter of fact and IMHO very robotic-like.  Honestly, i have never been spoken to or treated like this ever before when calling Captain's Club.  There must be a new training system in place or something new is happening.  I am going to call again tomorrow and see if I can speak with someone in management about my conversations. I tried to today, but was told no one was available.  Truthfully, I just do not know what to think!  TBD...

This hasn’t been our experience and if fact ours has been the complete opposite. To confirm this , I just called the Captains club and they informed me that nothing has changed and it’s their pleasure to assist with these type of requests. 

Harry 

33 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I've always suspected something like this because we have been booking all of our cruises through the same big box TA and we have never been offered any move-up options while others on the same cruise in the same category have received the offer.  However my conclusion is different, we don't get any additional OBC, we get gift cards that we use for gas.  That's real money to me.  I'll continue to book the cabin that I want and take the gift cards if that's the trade-off.

I have been very happy using that big box TA.   It is the gift that keeps on giving.   In addition to the gift card received after cruising, we have their more expensive membership and receive 2% back at renewal time.   I just recently got their credit card, and will receive another 3% back at credit card renewal time.   

I don't get Move Up - for those who are interested in upgrading their cabin for a small price, it makes more sense to monitor pricing right after final payment and upgrade at that time, that way there is a guarantee of the upgrade and you can get the extra points.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Sorry to read that Captains club rep doesn't respond if you book woth a TA.   I always use a TA. However, I have also relied upon contacting Captains Club to reserve dining times and make requests.  On the ship, I contacted Captains Club to facilitate accomodations due to medical conditions. My cabin steward was useless.  On my recent Reflection cruise, we had a standing dinner reservation time. It worked well. For those that didn't reserve before embarking, there were wait times in the MDR.  Seems crazy to bother making a TA call Celebrity to ask a simple question. azamara does the same thing. I called Azamara to ask a simple question and was told to call my TA. 

Actually, that has always been the policy IME.

I believe that a major reason for this is, if X makes an adjustment or change which affects the TA's commission there will be complaints, and loud. Additionally, if there is a reason one booked with or moved their reservation to a TA, then that needs to be the main point of contact UNLESS X calls you directly for some strange reason.

If it is easier to call X for information and changes when booked with a TA, then book with X and keep it there to have the privilege, or so I believe.

I have tried calling X for changes or additions or information and have been asked to call my TA and I accepted that and understood as it takes away time from those who have booked through X... thus many complaints about being on hold for so long.

I Am sure many questions are benign and 'quick', yet to deprive those who have or are booking through X the opportunity to get through quickly for their issues is not really the correct thing to do.

Have I gotten X's agents to make a few changes here and there, yes, but not the right thing to do. I know, I need to get my TA who is getting the commissions and providing me with such wonderful additional 'Perks', 'OBC' and/or 'reduced pricing' to work for it and be at my beck and call. If they are not, guess what, I have selected the incorrect TA if my needs are not met when I need them and not when I want them... LOL

Edited to add: X Rep's have always been courteous when I have called and if they would assist or not.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rotoal said:

I have been very happy using that big box TA.   It is the gift that keeps on giving.   In addition to the gift card received after cruising, we have their more expensive membership and receive 2% back at renewal time.   I just recently got their credit card, and will receive another 3% back at credit card renewal time.   

I don't get Move Up - for those who are interested in upgrading their cabin for a small price, it makes more sense to monitor pricing right after final payment and upgrade at that time, that way there is a guarantee of the upgrade and you can get the extra points.

In the "old days" before the move up, we have upgraded at the last minute- a couple of weeks to a couple of days before the actual cruise and we did not get the extra points- so you do not get them either way.  I prefer the freedom to get a cabin and save, as we did on our last cruise a couple of thousand dollars for a large suite, then get a small gift card from a big box store. 

But that is what makes the world go round!  While I am not at all a gambler, love the challenge of being able, should I want to, to upgrade.

We booked a Summit Bermuda cruise for next month about 9 months ago. Booked directly with our TA and got a better price with their group. I received a Move Up email for this cruise in the last week or 2 and also booked a Surf Internet package with CC discount in that time frame by calling the Captain's Club. Maybe it depends on which CC agent you talk to. Or on the phases of the moon.

For things like changing cabins, changing or canceling cruises, etc. I have always had to call my TA.

3 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I just want to clarify to those waiting for a Move Up email that you don't have to receive an email or book direct to participate in the Move Up bidding. It opens 30 days before a sailing and you can access it in the menu on the left side of the X homepage US site. If your bid is accepted you only get the upgraded room or suite, but get the Captains Club points only for the room you originally booked. If upgrade puts you in a suite, you don't get the normal 4 suite perks but keep the ones you had.

• Thanks 1

My guess is that X if finally fed-up with lots of folks calling the Captain's Club number for basic questions not related to the Captain's Club.  Many have used that number in lieu of regular customer service (or their own travel/cruise agency).  With all the cut-backs we have seen under LLP's reign, one would not be surprised if they have also cut-back the staff at the Captain's Club office.

I know that some folks feel entitled because they are in the Captain's Club (we are Elite Plus) but you might consider that the vast majority of those who cruise on Celebrity are also in the Captain's Club.

Speaking of Internet Packages, it is actually quite easy to wait until you are aboard and simply purchase a package online by using your own device.  That gets you the current pricing and Captain's Club discount info.  

Hank

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

My guess is that X if finally fed-up with lots of folks calling the Captain's Club number for basic questions not related to the Captain's Club.  Many have used that number in lieu of regular customer service (or their own travel/cruise agency).  With all the cut-backs we have seen under LLP's reign, one would not be surprised if they have also cut-back the staff at the Captain's Club office.

I know that some folks feel entitled because they are in the Captain's Club (we are Elite Plus) but you might consider that the vast majority of those who cruise on Celebrity are also in the Captain's Club.

Speaking of Internet Packages, it is actually quite easy to wait until you are aboard and simply purchase a package online by using your own device.  That gets you the current pricing and Captain's Club discount info.  

Hank

There is no accuse for being rude as the OP pointed out.  

15 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Hank, are you saying we can wait to book our Internet package and also get the CC discount applied (we are elite) once we board the ship on the first day and use our TA's OBC they give us? If so, problem solved!