Explorer Live! Lisbon to Venice, April 8-30 (with the prequel)

kjbacon

Totally agree with this wonderful idea TC - "opt out" of excursions...  Looking at our March cruise I can already see several ports where I simply do not plan to get off the ship.  (Catalina and Cabo to name two).   It would be great to have a reduction in fare and then simply be able to choose à la carte for the few excursions we might want to take.

I rather think that Regent fears that there might be massive opting out - people might realise that they could set up their own excursions for less than the "rebate" which is why they are not offering this...

On 4/17/2019 at 5:33 PM, Travelcat2 said:

Your cruise is a bit unusual.  During some of our Explorer cruises, CR was so busy that they asked passengers waiting in line if they would like to go to a specialty restaurant.  

During our Explorer TA cruise that just ended 2 weeks ago , we were able to go a couple of times to Pacific Rim and Prime 7 ( the last was an invite by their maitre D' because first time service had been appalling). We could have probably gone another time to Chartreuse if we wanted. A few nights Compass Rose was sparsely populated. The night we went to Sette Mari it was packed. The ship wasnt full though. 

6 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Totally agree with this wonderful idea TC - "opt out" of excursions...  Looking at our March cruise I can already see several ports where I simply do not plan to get off the ship.  (Catalina and Cabo to name two).   It would be great to have a reduction in fare and then simply be able to choose à la carte for the few excursions we might want to take.

I rather think that Regent fears that there might be massive opting out - people might realise that they could set up their own excursions for less than the "rebate" which is why they are not offering this...

Agree, it would be perfection if excursions weren't "included"l ! However, I very much doubt Regent will retool their business model to make excursions optional. I think having them included not only allows Regent to charge a higher fare upfront, but also helps them in determining demand for tours way in advance and plan accordingly. 

Like many others we favour Regent's package as offered, with included excursions and reduced cost Choice excursions. We find most of the excursions to be good; some exceptional; with just the occasional fail.

As someone advised on this Board recently "Fortunately there are three other very good/excellent luxury cruise lines that you can try (Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea).  No one has to put up with things on Regent that bothers them"

If Regent were to offer a credit for excursions I doubt that it would be particularly generous compared to the cost they would charge for excursions booked as a one-off. cf the credits/costs of hotels booked through Regent.

What must be a nightmare for the Destinations team is those guests who forward book as many excursions as possible and then end up cancelling a large proportion.

If the cancellations are made late, or guests are simply no-shows, then this either denies those on the waitlist the ability to partake or makes it impossible for Regent to cancel bookings with their tour operators; pushing up costs for all.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

Like many others we favour Regent's package as offered, with included excursions and reduced cost Choice excursions. We find most of the excursions to be good; some exceptional; with just the occasional fail.

As someone advised on this Board recently "Fortunately there are three other very good/excellent luxury cruise lines that you can try (Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea).  No one has to put up with things on Regent that bothers them"

If Regent were to offer a credit for excursions I doubt that it would be particularly generous compared to the cost they would charge for excursions booked as a one-off. cf the credits/costs of hotels booked through Regent.

What must be a nightmare for the Destinations team is those guests who forward book as many excursions as possible and then end up cancelling a large proportion.

If the cancellations are made late, or guests are simply no-shows, then this either denies those on the waitlist the ability to partake or makes it impossible for Regent to cancel bookings with their tour operators; pushing up costs for all.

We've had very few included excursions we did not like so we agree totally with you!!!

38 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

>>What must be a nightmare for the Destinations team is those guests who forward book as many excursions as possible and then end up cancelling a large proportion.

If the cancellations are made late, or guests are simply no-shows, then this either denies those on the waitlist the ability to partake or makes it impossible for Regent to cancel bookings with their tour operators; pushing up costs for all.>>

I agree - I worked in International Educational Exchange all my working life and our programmes all had excursions etc, some of which were included and others not.   I found that the included excursions had a higher rate of drop outs - last minute at that when students found something better to do etc - than the ones where they had to plunk down their cash.   

If I were waitlisted for an excursion which ended up having unused places due to D/Os I would not be happy and the organisers would not either I am sure.   

We won't be taking the excursions in every port on our cruise even though they are included.  (They are not "free" as we are paying for them in the cruise fare...)   But if we do decide not to do a booked excursion we are meticulous in telling the organisers that we won't be coming as far in advance as we can.

38 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

1 hour ago, flossie009 said:

It is a nightmare for the Destination Services team which is why we always cancel by the stated deadline so no one on the waitlist is missing out.  It is simply rude not to do so.

It is important to know that if you go to the theater about a half an hour before the passengers on an excursion you hope to go on arrive.  A Destination Services representative will put your name on a list.  When they determine how many no-shows there are, they start calling people on the list.  Most of the time you will be accommodated.

One reason why there are so many cancellations (particularly after the first 3 or 4 port days) is that passengers want to do as much as they can.  They even book (or try to book) two excursions in one day.  After a few days, many people are totally exhausted - getting up for 8:00 a.m. excursions and not getting back to the ship until before dinner.  They realize that they are not spending any time on the ship and all they want to do is sit by the pool or read for the day.  

We finally went to Sette Mari and it was packed, not an open table to be had. Given how good it was, I'm not surprised and I’m wondering why we didn’t try it sooner! It may be my favorite restaurant on board.

There are those on board who prefer the optional excursion idea but there are also those that feel that way about other inclusions like alcohol because some people don’t drink or drink lightly. Hard to say. The appeal of all inclusive is nice, pay once and leave your wallet in the safe.

It looks like we could be on track to miss Rome. We had a medical emergency evacuation in the middle of the night and we are again in the midst of stormy, windy seas. What we know now is that are 8:00 am arrival will (at best) be delayed till afternoon. We are expecting an updated announcement from the captain at noon. Destination Services (quite possibly the best team on this ship and that’s saying something) just told us that the long tours like ours will not run that late in the day. I’m wondering (or hoping) if we can sub Rome for tomorrow’s port which is a tender port that we might miss anyway with these persistent storms. Irony being what it is, those that booked tours themselves will be out of luck so that’s another point in favor of a ship sponsored tour.

Kjbacon got their wish. We are in Civitavecchia all day today and the Rome excursions originally scheduled for yesterday are taking place today. The next two scheduled stops are tender ports and due to forecasted stormy weather both ports have been canceled. Today is Rome, tomorrow is a sea day and then we are back on schedule at Corfu. 

On 4/23/2019 at 5:50 AM, kjbacon said:

We finally went to Sette Mari and it was packed, not an open table to be had. Given how good it was, I'm not surprised and I’m wondering why we didn’t try it sooner! It may be my favorite restaurant on board.

There are those on board who prefer the optional excursion idea but there are also those that feel that way about other inclusions like alcohol because some people don’t drink or drink lightly. Hard to say. The appeal of all inclusive is nice, pay once and leave your wallet in the safe.

be careful about the last!!   Once when we were in Georgetown, Cayman Islands (where we had never been) we indeed left our wallets in the safe and discovered this when we were onshore, in front of a lovely shop where I wanted to buy some things!!!  No money.  No Credit cards!   Disaster.  And a tender port so we couldn't really just hop back to the ship.  I am glad our next cruise stops there and I shall be sure to have my wallet with me.

8 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

be careful about the last!!   Once when we were in Georgetown, Cayman Islands (where we had never been) we indeed left our wallets in the safe and discovered this when we were onshore, in front of a lovely shop where I wanted to buy some things!!!  No money.  No Credit cards!   Disaster.  And a tender port so we couldn't really just hop back to the ship.  I am glad our next cruise stops there and I shall be sure to have my wallet with me.

Well, we leave wallets in safe on ship but take them onshore.  I think they even tell you to because some ports you need ID at port to renter. 

3 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

I just read on Facebook that the ship is staying an additional day in Civitavecchia and eliminating stops on Sorrento and Sicily due to National Holidays?? Sounds like a major screw up. I would be really mad.

Post 85 mentions missing 2 ports due to them being tender ports and they have bad weather. 

The cancelation of Sorrento and Sicily doesnt have anything to do with bad weather, based on what the poster on the Regent FB page says. Im copying and pasting this pax post:

We’re currently on the Explorer doing Barcelona to Venice. We had to deal with high winds and rough seas since leaving Barcelona but weather much nicer today.

We were supposed to be in Sorrento today and Sicily tomorrow but are stuck at the port in Rome for a second day. We were told that we could not go to Sorrento or Sicily because of National Italian holidays and no tours would be operating. So we’re stuck at this port for a second day then sailing at 7:00 tonight for Corfu with sea day tomorrow.

Passengers are not happy as you would expect. We also had to skip Monte Carlo because of high winds. Seems strange that Regent would schedule ports on days of a national holiday and then tell passengers that we have to skip them. Do they not check calendars for holidays before establishing itineraries?

What I heard the captain say was that due to the storms it would not be possible to get us into port on schedule, and due to the holidays it would not be possible to reschedule the excursions to accommodate the new timetable, so we are skipping ahead to Corfu. 

I’m a glass half full kind of guy so I’m blaming it on the storm.

Regent has now responded on Facebook:

Mr. Speight and to those onboard, apologies for any confusion that was caused due to these changes. The weather has proven to be very challenging for the current itinerary. We were sorry to miss Monte Carlo on Sunday and attempted to overcome this with the additional call to Toulon. Yesterday, the delayed arrival along with future unfavorable weather conditions facilitated further changes. Our team reviewed several options, which was working towards providing a full day in Rome today. Late yesterday we were able to confirm the touring needs for the unplanned additional day in Rome could be accommodated. This extended stay prompted further changes downline. There was the initial talk of calling on Sorrento tomorrow (1 day later than original schedule), but after learning of the national holiday and the weather prediction of 3m swells, it was decided not to attempt. Also, the travel distance and anticipated poor weather conditions from Rome along with the intent to make it to Corfu on time resulted in the cancellation of Taormina. In light of this, the ship is expected to arrive in Corfu 3 hours earlier than originally planned. While not ideal, we hope that you'll see our genuine interest in providing a safe and comfortable journey by adding the call to Toulon, and the additional day in Rome.

4 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

What I heard the captain say was that due to the storms it would not be possible to get us into port on schedule, and due to the holidays it would not be possible to reschedule the excursions to accommodate the new timetable, so we are skipping ahead to Corfu. 

I’m a glass half full kind of guy so I’m blaming it on the storm.

Hope you have smooth sailing ahead the rest of the cruise!

1 hour ago, cruiseluv said:

I just read on Facebook that the ship is staying an additional day in Civitavecchia and eliminating stops on Sorrento and Sicily due to National Holidays?? Sounds like a major screw up. I would be really mad.

Don't believe everything you read. Seems that the National Holidays were a secondary consideration.

39 minutes ago, cruiseluv said:

Regent has now responded on Facebook:

Mr. Speight and to those onboard, apologies for any confusion that was caused due to these changes. The weather has proven to be very challenging for the current itinerary. We were sorry to miss Monte Carlo on Sunday and attempted to overcome this with the additional call to Toulon. Yesterday, the delayed arrival along with future unfavorable weather conditions facilitated further changes. Our team reviewed several options, which was working towards providing a full day in Rome today. Late yesterday we were able to confirm the touring needs for the unplanned additional day in Rome could be accommodated. This extended stay prompted further changes downline. There was the initial talk of calling on Sorrento tomorrow (1 day later than original schedule), but after learning of the national holiday and the weather prediction of 3m swells, it was decided not to attempt. Also, the travel distance and anticipated poor weather conditions from Rome along with the intent to make it to Corfu on time resulted in the cancellation of Taormina. In light of this, the ship is expected to arrive in Corfu 3 hours earlier than originally planned. While not ideal, we hope that you'll see our genuine interest in providing a safe and comfortable journey by adding the call to Toulon, and the additional day in Ro

Other than wishing smooth sailing ahead, no other comment?

4 hours ago, CBWIR said:

Don't believe everything you read. Seems that the National Holidays were a secondary consideration.

Other than wishing smooth sailing ahead, no other comment?

Why should there be an "other comment".  I feel that they explained themselves quite well.  And, as I mentioned, the same thing happened last year.  One can no longer predict the weather based on past experiences.  I was/am quite surprised that sailing in the Mediterranean in April is worse than in November (when we sail).  When someone posted that our November crossing would be warm two years ago, I didn't believe it.  Now, I pack accordingly (for warmer weather).

The initial Facebook post referenced is cluttered with accuracies and I chimed in on that thread yesterday. Here’s the truth: we were not stuck in Rome, we were treated to a second day in Rome because we arrived too late the first day to take our tours.

We were 6 hours late to Rome secondarily due to the continuing bad storms. The primary reason was a medical emergency in the middle of the night. A fellow passenger needed to be hospitalized so captain Serena diverted the ship to the nearest port for him to disembark (an island to our west). Because of the bad storm we just couldn’t make up that time.

It seems there are those who love to complain, start rumors, and love to treat others badly. We have seen passengers yelling at the staff, accusing guest relations of lying, and demanding money back. Money back for what? This staff has worked double duty because of this terrible weather and the emergency. They have substituted ports and bent over backwards to ensure our good time when legally, they were required to do nothing.

Would they like to have been left to die at sea so the ship could make it to Rome on time? Would they like to be in a May Day situation like the recent Viking ship because the captain would not reroute for our safety?

• Like 1

Let me also explain how the holiday played in to this. The original itinerary was Tuesday Rome, Wednesday Sorrento, and Thursday Taormina. Thursday is a national holiday in Italy. If nothing had shifted, we would likely have missed Sorrento and Taormina anyway because they are both tender ports. Even those these terrible storms are finally leaving us, there are still swells that would make tendering unsafe. Taormina is more difficult for tendering than Sorrento and one more day would help for calming. The best move would have been to cancel Taormina and move Sorrento to Thursday. Because of the holiday, Sorrento was not prepared in advance to work holiday overtime like Taormina was. We lost nothing by staying in Rome one more day and many of us were thrilled to be able to tour Rome.

• Like 1

Having read some of those posts - which I found really unreasonable and said so! - yours comes like a breath of fresh air because it is SO reasonable.   Hopefully the rest of the cruise will go perfectly and those silly people who threaten lawsuits because a port is missed will go off and cruise on another line.

9 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Why should there be an "other comment".  I feel that they explained themselves quite well.  And, as I mentioned, the same thing happened last year.  One can no longer predict the weather based on past experiences.  I was/am quite surprised that sailing in the Mediterranean in April is worse than in November (when we sail).  When someone posted that our November crossing would be warm two years ago, I didn't believe it.  Now, I pack accordingly (for warmer weather).

Post 88 states" sounds like a major screw up". Same poster in post #90 copied and pasted a Facebook entry that contained incomplete information.In post #92, the same poster transmitted the whole story. In post #93, the same poster's only comment was smooth sailing wishes. Thought there would be a follow up on the major screw up comment.

Can only surmise that you thought I was referring to Regent for additional comment. Would never question Regent on this board for fear of being blasted.

Edited by CBWIR
Sp

5 hours ago, CBWIR said:

Post 88 states" sounds like a major screw up". Same poster in post #90 copied and pasted a Facebook entry that contained incomplete information.In post #92, the same poster transmitted the whole story. In post #93, the same poster's only comment was smooth sailing wishes. Thought there would be a follow up on the major screw up comment.

Can only surmise that you thought I was referring to Regent for additional comment. Would never question Regent on this board for fear of being blasted.

yes, the follow-up was me posting the Regent response, which clarified everything. Sorry I dont meet your editorial high standards