Richards Bay, South Africa -Will be in port from 6:30 am to 10 pm -Any suggestions?

Ruth

Richards Bay, South Africa -Will be in port from 6:30 am to 10 pm -Any suggestions? -We will have done an African Safari days before so looking for different type of tour. Anyone know any private guides?

Can I suggest you fix up either a rental car or a car and driver, & head to St Lucia and (just beyond St Lucia) to iSimangaliso Wetlands Park.

St Lucia is under 50 miles, about 75 minutes from Richards Bay and a very simple route. It's known for the numerous hippos near the road bridge that crosses the river just before you enter the little town. For a close-up encounter you can take a boat ride from the operator next to the bridge - IIRC it lasts about an hour, but you might want to check on arrival & then visit the Park first, and take the boat tour if you have time.

The part of iSimangaliso Park that you'd visit from St Lucia would be the southern end & is also known as St Lucia Park - "wetlands" is a misnomer for this part, it's bush.

Entry fee to the Park is R50 (about 4USD) pp and R20  (2 USD) per vehicle (but do double-check). Roads are unmade, but no problem for even the simplest 2-wheel-drive car. Elephants, hippos, Cape buffalo, warthogs, hyenas, wild dogs (rare), various species of antelope, but I don't think any big cats. 

St Lucia is a small town (village?), just one main street but more than enough eateries and bars.

JB :classic_smile:

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Can I suggest you fix up either a rental car or a car and driver, & head to St Lucia and (just beyond St Lucia) to iSimangaliso Wetlands Park.

St Lucia is under 50 miles, about 75 minutes from Richards Bay and a very simple route. It's known for the numerous hippos near the road bridge that crosses the river just before you enter the little town. For a close-up encounter you can take a boat ride from the operator next to the bridge - IIRC it lasts about an hour, but you might want to check on arrival & then visit the Park first, and take the boat tour if you have time.

The part of iSimangaliso Park that you'd visit from St Lucia would be the southern end & is also known as St Lucia Park - "wetlands" is a misnomer for this part, it's bush.

Entry fee to the Park is R50 (about 4USD) pp and R20  (2 USD) per vehicle (but do double-check). Roads are unmade, but no problem for even the simplest 2-wheel-drive car. Elephants, hippos, Cape buffalo, warthogs, hyenas, wild dogs (rare), various species of antelope, but I don't think any big cats. 

St Lucia is a small town (village?), just one main street but more than enough eateries and bars.

JB :classic_smile:

Thanks JB!

• 2 months later...
On 4/11/2019 at 1:52 PM, Trend said:

I found Heritage tours that will do this tour if you do not want self drive.

Thanks -Emailing them to see if they pick up in Richards Bay. Thanks

• 1 month later...
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 4:46 AM, Ruth said:

Thanks -Emailing them to see if they pick up in Richards Bay. Thanks

Hi,

Did you get information about Heritage Tours pick up in Richards Bay?  Thanks.

Iris

1 hour ago, cruisinsusin said:

Hi, not Ruth but can answer your question as I have been researching as well- yes they do pick up at Richard's Bay cruise port

Hi Cruisinsusin, thanks so much for answering my question.

Iris