Princess New Grounds Coffee Package

Moxiefurball

3 hours ago, MoyCoy said:

I love speciality tea which is unlimited with the card, but my Husband prefers espresso drinks (15 per card). So we can share 1 card without penalty?

Official Policy:

• Coffee packages cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser.

There is no card. The package is now loaded onto the person's on board account. Attendants swipe the cruise card or medallion every time you ask for a coffee drink.

You would have to purchase the package on your account in order for you to get unlimited tea. Your husband is able to share in the 15 espresso drinks, however these are shown on your account. You would have to be there and order for him or at least loan him your card/medallion for him to place an order.

The person that owns the account can order a tea and an espresso drink at the same time. Your husband can not share in the free tea and brewed coffee benefit.

• Like 1

Where on the ship can you get brewed coffee? Is it included after a meal or if you have the coffee package can you order it then(or latte etc)Is there speciality hot chocolate or just plain?

Very limited. Usually at the intl cafe and near vines. Not in any dining room unless you order a specialized coffee.  Ridiculous, in my opinion butI live with it. 

Sapphire has kettles or a way to heat water in the room, if leaving from Southampton. I am bringing starbucks instant coffee. 

Edited by oskidunker

I'm a heavy coffee drinker and ask my waiter to bring it & real cream (not milk) at the beginning / throughout each meal. Its real brewed coffee in the MDRs & I've never been turned down. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moxiefurball said:

Im confused. You cannot get fresh brewed coffee or speciaity coffees in the International Cafe?

Also, everyone mentions punches, so you get a card to carry around with you to punch for the 15 coffee or tea drinks?

You can get brewed coffee and espresso drinks at the International Cafe. They are also available at other locations around the ship. Examples: large coffee to go $2.07, regular cappuccino $2.95, Mighty Leaf White Orchard tea $148.

The card refers to the New Grounds Coffee Package which cost $36.58. When purchased the package is loaded into your on board account. Your cruise card or medallion is swiped with each order. The actual paper card is no more.

"Enjoy 15 espresso-based hot or cold specialty coffee drinks with complimentary brewed coffee and premium tea for the duration of your cruise. " "

• Coffee packages cannot be sold or otherwise transferred to any individual. Pre-purchased specialty coffees may be shared, but complimentary brewed coffee, teas and hot chocolate continue to be limited to the purchaser."

4 hours ago, Moxiefurball said:

Im confused. You cannot get fresh brewed coffee or speciaity coffees in the International Cafe?

Also, everyone mentions punches, so you get a card to carry around with you to punch for the 15 coffee or tea drinks?

Many just assume that everyone understands.  So lets carefully explain.  Up until last year Princess sold "Coffee Cards" which were a real cardboard card with places for 15 punches.  On the back of these cards they would put your Voyage number.  You could use these cards for unlimited tea and small-batch brewed coffee at the International Café and the punches would be used for specialty coffee/tea drinks such as cappuccino.  At one time you could also use the card for Gelato at the gelato bar.  If you did not use all the available punches you could use the card on future cruises...but only for the punches (you only got the unlimited coffee on the same voyage that you purchased the card.

Last year Princess phased out those cards and replaced them with "electronic cards" which are simply added to your onboard account.  You simply present your cruise card (or Medallion) at the International Café and they update your onboard record (which you cannot see).    At the end of your cruise those electronic cards are deleted and you lose any unused punches . Many Princess fans here on CC still talk about the "cards" and "punches" although neither actually exist  (except for some old cards that will soon be entirely phased out).  

So what is the problem?  In the past you would buy the cards and save them for future cruises...if you had any unused punches.  With the electronic "cards" you cannot save anything.   If you do not use up all those 15 electronic punches then you may well lose money on the so called coffee card.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hank what a fabulous explanation.  Thanks so much !  

This has turned out to be quite a worthy topic as I feel for the unlimited brewed coffee and tea, plus the 15 specialty drinks I think for me it will be worth it to buy the coffee package. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Very limited. Usually at the intl cafe and near vines. Not in any dining room unless you order a specialized coffee.  Ridiculous, in my opinion butI live with it. 

Sapphire has kettles or a way to heat water in the room, if leaving from Southampton. I am bringing starbucks instant coffee. 

Are the kettles available in all the catagories of cabins or just some?

11 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'm a heavy coffee drinker and ask my waiter to bring it & real cream (not milk) at the beginning / throughout each meal. Its real brewed coffee in the MDRs & I've never been turned down. 

We do the same at the Horizon. Real cream in the coffee there is really good!.

20 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Yes, there will be kettles in your room. 

I've sailed out of Southampton many times...never had a kettle I thought only the Brits had a kettle😲

20 hours ago, ann141 said:

Thanks for your replies.We are sailing on Crown Princess from Southampton.Does that mean there are likely to be kettles in the cabins?

20 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Yes, there will be kettles in your room. 

No kettles on the Crown.   Sapphire yes. Not sure if they will provide them on the Crown.

7 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

No kettles on the Crown.   Sapphire yes. Not sure if they will provide them on the Crown.

Will Crown Princess not have kettles when sailing out of Southampton.I can understand if it doesn t usually have them in cabins but I would have thought if Sapphire has them just when sailing from Southampton, then Crown will probably have them too?

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

Will Crown Princess not have kettles when sailing out of Southampton.I can understand if it doesn t usually have them in cabins but I would have thought if Sapphire has them just when sailing from Southampton, then Crown will probably have them too?

Hopefully someone will report back if they add them for Southampton sailings on the Crown.

23 hours ago, Ombud said:

Is this something new?   When did they start serving fresh brewed coffee in the dining room?

Just now, waltd said:

Is this something new?   When did they start serving fresh brewed coffee in the dining room?

No idea. But it was on the Star 3/2019 & Sapphire 12/2018 .... difference is obvious (to me). A totally different drink than the buffet. Here's the rub .... I saw them carrying carafes of coffee from Portofino to IC .... so although its brewed in IC it's not 'fresh' IMHO. Don't know if it's a rare occurrence but it made the long blacks suck. I switched to espresso or lattes only