Currently on the Horizon

Gettys84

2 hours ago, Gettys84 said:

Someone asked how embarkation day was. This has been a huge topic and I read so many threads about what time we could board in Miami and if you could board before your official “check in time”. We drove down from South Carolina on Friday. (Yes, I know they have these cool things called airplanes.  We don’t have a great airport in our city and prices just seemed high). Took us exactly 10 ours to drive down with a couple gas stops, breakfast, lunch and couple bathroom breaks. Traffic was not bad on 95 at all until we got to Miami. We did take the toll road/turnpike because the map said to go that way. Who am I to argue with Siri or Waze?

We drive to our cruises, too. Can't afford to fly. Except we've got you beat. Takes us almost twice as long to get down there. Actually, we stay at a particular hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. They have good long-term cruise parking, then we take a shuttle to Miami. There's something going on in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale in March next year because all of the hotels are booking up already and the one we stay at is about $100 more than it was last year. I checked the March Madness schedule and it's not that. I guess spring break, don't know.

So I'm assuming that since you didn't plan to get on the FL Turnpike, you didn't have a Sun Pass, correct? How did you pay and do you feel like it was a pain going through the toll plazas? I think I figured it up to be 3 toll plazas total. I've considered taking the turnpike in the past, but wasn't sure how much of a pain it'd be to pay with cash. Also considered getting one of the temporary Sun Passes, but decided against the turnpike altogether. It would only save us 30 minutes.

53 minutes ago, Gettys84 said:

Going to call it an early night tonight. We are in Grand Turk tomorrow at 7am. Last year on the Magic we got to see humpback whales from the ship. Hope this happens again tomorrow!  Keep the questions coming and will be back tomorrow!

We'll be on Horizon next March during the first half of the month. Going to Grand Turk, too. We've been there twice already, but never when the humpbacks are there. I've read that their winter season down there lasts until early April and I've been curious if we'd get lucky and see some. Since that is later in their winter season and some will probably begin migrating north, I don't want to take a whale watching excursion and risk not seeing any, wasting our money.

Quick question about the OJ. Sad to see it's no longer free at brunch. I'm not a big water drinker during my meals and I don't like any other juices. Is the OJ from the fountain machines still free during breakfast at the Lido buffet?

7 hours ago, Gettys84 said:

Currently on the Carnival Horizon. Have been on 9 Carnival cruises but first on the Vista class. Let me know any questions anyone has and I will try to answer as best as possible!  

image.jpg

Thank you this is a beautiful view. 

9 hours ago, Cairns Cruisers said:

Thanks for a great review so far! I'm really enjoying your pictures.

Thanks!  First time doing a post. Have read what seems like thousands so figured I would give it a shot. 

9 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

We drive to our cruises, too. Can't afford to fly. Except we've got you beat. Takes us almost twice as long to get down there. Actually, we stay at a particular hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. They have good long-term cruise parking, then we take a shuttle to Miami. There's something going on in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale in March next year because all of the hotels are booking up already and the one we stay at is about $100 more than it was last year. I checked the March Madness schedule and it's not that. I guess spring break, don't know.

So I'm assuming that since you didn't plan to get on the FL Turnpike, you didn't have a Sun Pass, correct? How did you pay and do you feel like it was a pain going through the toll plazas? I think I figured it up to be 3 toll plazas total. I've considered taking the turnpike in the past, but wasn't sure how much of a pain it'd be to pay with cash. Also considered getting one of the temporary Sun Passes, but decided against the turnpike altogether. It would only save us 30 minutes.

We'll be on Horizon next March during the first half of the month. Going to Grand Turk, too. We've been there twice already, but never when the humpbacks are there. I've read that their winter season down there lasts until early April and I've been curious if we'd get lucky and see some. Since that is later in their winter season and some will probably begin migrating north, I don't want to take a whale watching excursion and risk not seeing any, wasting our money.

Quick question about the OJ. Sad to see it's no longer free at brunch. I'm not a big water drinker during my meals and I don't like any other juices. Is the OJ from the fountain machines still free during breakfast at the Lido buffet?

We went though a couple of tolls, got a ticket at the first one. We went maybe 20/30 miles and then we had to pay $3.70. Went another 30 miles or so and exited where the Dolphins stadium is located and the sign said toll by license plate. I guess we will get a bill in the mail?

Next year prices are higher probably because of Ultra music festival or pride week. 

We did not do an excursion to see the whales. We were lucky enough to see them as we were coming into port!  None this morning though. 

Orange cocktail is still an option on lido with apple juice and a couple of others. Same as it has been for as long as I remember. I will ask on Friday at sea day brunch for free Oj and see what they say!  

• Thanks 1

If you get a chance I would love  a picture of Ocean Plaza Breakfast.

Also the coffee bar menu, if you can

I did not know about the water on Havana na na . Thats super helpful, is it up all day ? 

How was your pasta embarkation lunch?

Thanks. 

10 hours ago, parodeejay said:

@Gettys84 Glad we could help! We love those extra water station options!! 😄 ~Jay

@parodeejay Thanks for the reply. Have watched all of your guys videos/reviews. Have been watching your Conquest reviews while on this ship. WiFi is great on the Horizon. We really want to start doing a Vlog but it seems like a lot of work. May do some practice videos next couple of days. Do you mind telling me what software you use to edit your videos? 

28 minutes ago, Gettys84 said:

@parodeejay Thanks for the reply. Have watched all of your guys videos/reviews. Have been watching your Conquest reviews while on this ship. WiFi is great on the Horizon. We really want to start doing a Vlog but it seems like a lot of work. May do some practice videos next couple of days. Do you mind telling me what software you use to edit your videos? 

@Gettys84 Thankee! I use Vegas Pro, though it's a little pricier than some of the other alternatives. A lot of folks I know use Adobe Premiere with great luck, or if you use Mac then Final Cut is a good way to go.

50 minutes ago, Jenjer said:

If you get a chance I would love  a picture of Ocean Plaza Breakfast.

Also the coffee bar menu, if you can

I did not know about the water on Havana na na . Thats super helpful, is it up all day ? 

How was your pasta embarkation lunch?

Thanks. 

Took a video of the ocean plaza breakfast for you...but it is too big to upload. Will take pictures tomorrow for you! 

Coffee bar menu uploaded

not sure on water in the Havana-na-na-na. Will take a drive by of that at some point today. It was not out at the Ocean plaza this morning. 

Pasta bar experience was not as good as last year on the magic. The staff seemed to not be in sync and it took a little longer than our previous experience. Did not go yesterday because wanted the salad bar and some pizza. Will probably go to the 

pasta bar today for lunch so will report back and tell how service was this time. 

B05ADED9-A636-46EB-A543-F7DBC081297F.jpeg

A2760ACA-37FF-4026-8EB3-B90AEB1DB3BB.jpeg

DA6EE474-5471-4F52-9B1B-FE504151CE3F.jpeg

2F2AB3A3-4706-424C-A6E5-6351B7622192.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank You Gettys84  

Love "Lives"...We are sailing her in June in the Havana na na. Really looking forward to her. Love getting info from someone looking for the positive but still being honest. 

Edited by Jenjer
spelling

35 minutes ago, pmoniz said:

Gettys84 - enjoying your review!! Thank you for sharing!! We won't be sailing on the Horizon until May 2020 so I'm sure things will be changed by then, but love your review!! 

Thanks for following along. Let us know if you have any questions. 

17 minutes ago, Jenjer said:

Thank You Gettys84  

Love "Lives"...We are sailing her in June in the Havana na na. Really looking forward to her. Love getting info from someone looking for the positive but still being honest. 

Thanks for following!  We try and stay positive. Some things are always going to be a pain no matter what. For example, we wanted to go play the soccer billiards just now and they are cleaning the floors so we can’t go in. We just decided to play a round of putt putt instead!

13 minutes ago, Jenjer said:

Do they have Nutella available with breakfast breads?    Nutella on a croissant = its a cruise breakfast.  Not every ship does/ has it so I can always bring it from home if they don't 

Did not notice this morning. Will make a note to check tomorrow. 

Thanks for checking. 

I am glad your whole cruise wasn't ruined because you had to wait for the floor to dry :-)

I had never heard of or seen soccer billiards but it looks like fun can not wait to try it. As well as 4 way ping pong and 6 person foosball......maybe I will stand a chance against the kids.   Doubtful   

Pictures of our Putt Putt game on the sports deck!  After the 3rd hole you have to go up a level to play a few more holes, then back down to the main level to finish. The course is fun and pretty hard. The golf balls are not normal golf balls either. They are really soft and not as heavy as normal golf ball. 

959E6758-0021-45F3-8C1F-DA91C4E93663.jpeg

4526FF62-6D04-4D4A-A135-D8F762F578FB.jpeg

E4B36506-B9AD-4720-B5DB-C8BE7765931D.jpeg

BB46C3F1-5051-4614-A8FA-DE83119BCF84.jpeg

59A00EC2-00F0-4E38-AE97-A494C80DEE7D.jpeg

3BD415AE-E93B-49BF-9369-CF7EC99215F1.jpeg

9A0E6808-DE10-4406-93EE-7597C360D746.jpeg

7F65B850-2ED2-4502-8B77-8F090A882A43.jpeg

265487AD-4E0F-419D-B7E8-140B22CBE495.jpeg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jenjer said:

Thanks for checking. 

I am glad your whole cruise wasn't ruined because you had to wait for the floor to dry 🙂

I had never heard of or seen soccer billiards but it looks like fun can not wait to try it. As well as 4 way ping pong and 6 person foosball......maybe I will stand a chance against the kids.   Doubtful   

We will give all those a try at some point this trip!

We went though a couple of tolls, got a ticket at the first one. We went maybe 20/30 miles and then we had to pay $3.70. Went another 30 miles or so and exited where the Dolphins stadium is located and the sign said toll by license plate. I guess we will get a bill in the mail?

We did not do an excursion to see the whales. We were lucky enough to see them as we were coming into port!  None this morning though. 

Orange cocktail is still an option on lido with apple juice and a couple of others. Same as it has been for as long as I remember. I will ask on Friday at sea day brunch for free Oj and see what they say!  

On the FL turnpike website,  you can map out your route and it'll tell you the tolls you have to go through and their prices. If we got on at the beginning, which is around Orlando I think, and got off at Ft. Lauderdale, I think it was around $20. If I bought one of those temporary Sun Passes, the tolls are discounted, but with the cost of the device plus tolls, it still came out to around $20. If we didn't get that Sun Pass and not all the plazas accept cash, I doubt I'd even bother just to save a half hour.

We'll be in GT on March 9th, so hopefully we'll get to see some whales before they head north.

Thanks for checking on all this stuff for us. I'm curious to find out if the $5 OJ is just for their specialty OJ and if there's still free regular.

Nice having the WiFi package and being able to see where we are on map...

Since you said you've been watching videos, I'm guess you have the Premium plan?