Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 15

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, April 8 and Sunday, April 14.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

With the nice Spring weather coming here in Central Ohio and ahead of some other parts of the world, below are a couple of seasonable visual postings.  Since the trees are still bare here, we could see this evening the sun setting from our screened porch where we had dinner.  Below is that initial sun setting view.  Then, the "real magic" happened with the sky colors playing off of the clouds after the sun dropped below the horizon.  Plus, the colors played nicely off of the trees trunks and limbs, etc.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast.  Now at 27,918 views.  Many interesting pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Here are two of the sunset views this evening as the day concluded with these views of our ravine setting from the screened porch.  Not quite a coastal beach setting and/or from a cruise ship in the Atlantic.  But, nice, especially for early Spring!:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1923076199_CMA_14352.jpg.df276a41682204e2c9115eeedb6ea704.jpg

1321280639_CMA_14591.thumb.jpg.008de19cb9aec337761cf2de09978fd5.jpg

An astronomy buddy Lloyd Overcash passed this along of the large sunspot that rotated around just yesterday. It's large enough to swallow the Earth. Taken from Spring, Tx this afternoon using a Daystar Quark Filter and stacking the 500 best frames from the 5000 taken.

current sunspot 20190408 spring texas.jpg

It's tulip time in the Pacific Northwest.  Imagine if you will, 5 days of pretty much constant rain and absolutely no sun.  Then the forecast is for a sunny afternoon on Friday...

enhance

enhance

enhance

The sun shining through the flowers was stunning! Today we are back to heavy clouds and rain starting in a few minutes - the joy of spring in the PNW! 

Vic

My granddaughter isn't the cutest little girl in the world...said no grandparent ever. We are blessed to have grandchildren that are easy on the eyes. Strangers have never looked into the stroller and complimented us on our cute pug puppy only to suddenly blush and fumble an apology. (Everyone’s made that mistake like I have, right?) The picture this week wasn’t just a reason to showcase Jackie’s pretty eyes. It was a test of a recent upgrade to my camera’s eye-tracking autofocus that locates the eye of a subject and maintains focus to ensure a better chance of a good portrait. I had less than a second between “Hey Jackie!”  and the faux-shy covering of the face. Looks like the upgrade worked.

Those Eyes...

p3373398870-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 1

Birds, flowers, dogs, sunsets, and children - all such lovely subjects and shots...and one gigantic sunspot, which is certainly something you don't see often in photography forums!  Nicely done, all.

I have my usual wildlife weekend stuff, from both my regular wetlands as well as a visit to a more northernly wetland I hadn't gone to in about 4 months, to see some different birds than I generally see down here...

An Egyptian goose, enjoying all the duckweed in the shallow water:

original.jpg

Roseate spoonbill, doing the very same thing...his pink really leaps out at you against the backdrop of green duckweed:

original.jpg

Who doesn't love ducklings?  They're just too cute:

original.jpg

The giant American white pelicans:

original.jpg

The beautiful male wood duck on the right, next to his duller female companion:

original.jpg

A short-billed dowitcher, something I only see west and north of my regular spots:

original.jpg

An exceedingly rare bird to see in my area (and in the U.S., being really only found regularly in Florida), usually sticking well down south and west deep into the Everglades...but luckily one decided to pass by right over my regular local wetland...a swallow-tailed kite:

original.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Victress2007 said:

What is the more northerly wetlands?  I'll be in central Fl in a couple weeks.  Great shots, as always!

Vic

Thanks Vic.  I guess it's all relative, as those wetlands are more north for me...but if you're in central Florida, it would still be south!  The wood ducks, spoonbills, dowitchers, and pelicans were all at Peaceful Waters in Wellington FL.  It's about a 30 minute drive north compared to my two 'local' wetlands I visit weekly, which are only 10 minutes away from my house.

• Like 1