Cruise Critic Community
Keith1010

Crystal Serenity Seabreeze Penthouse With Verandah and Penthouse Suites

A down-side that had been mentioned by a couple of people on the board was how firm the new couches are.  I agree as  I had the same experience when

I  sat on one of them.  I wanted to let you know that Crystal is in the process of replacing all of the foam inserts for the sofa  cushions to resolve this item.

I thought those of you who are booked or considering one of the new Seabreeze Suites would want to know that this issue is being resolved.

Keith

Thank you Keith! This is welcoming news! I have been disappointed to read about a few of the negatives of these new staterooms that were unknown when we booked our 24 days. Any chance you can suggest that they put a bed skirt on the beds before mid-May to hide the luggage?  LOL

Continued safe travels to you and Ann-Marie.  

Cancun01 you are very welcome.

You could always have them store your luggage.  I will be sure to mention the bed skirt though.

Keith

I'm really surprised by the decision the room designers made in regard to the beds. It sounds like whoever chose the pieces of furniture has never cruised before! Whilst one can get luggage stored, it is far more convenient to have it on hand, under the bed, out of sight. This is not an option at present where if you do want to store it under the bed it's a complete eyesore. Seems crazy and I hope they think of a fix for this and implement it quickly.

8 minutes ago, ClefsDor said:

I'm really surprised by the decision the room designers made in regard to the beds. It sounds like whoever chose the pieces of furniture has never cruised before! Whilst one can get luggage stored, it is far more convenient to have it on hand, under the bed, out of sight. This is not an option at present where if you do want to store it under the bed it's a complete eyesore. Seems crazy and I hope they think of a fix for this and implement it quickly.

The funniest part of this story is that this is Crystal's THIRD go-round with the bed skirts in the past 10 years on the ocean ships.  I know bed skirts are a real taboo in hospitality design right now, but someone on Crystal's design team must really be a glutton for punishment to try this again after losing the battle twice before -- after roll-out -- against customer feedback. 

I agree 100% -- cruise ship cabins have special needs, and storage is one of the unique ones.  Most passengers won't want to see luggage under the bed, and most passengers don't want to give up that storage as a trade off...  Even if it makes the room look more dated and less open.

Vince

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

cruise ship cabins have special needs, and storage is one of the unique ones

Yes, which is why it's so hard to understand why they would choose to use, in the new staterooms, bedside tables with no drawers and desks and other furnishings that don't accommodate any storage. The storage space on the Mozart was almost non existent but it's manageable as the cruises are only 7-10 days long so the need for more storage isn't as great but when that design concept was transferred to the new penthouses on the ocean ships it's another matter. Once again it's the old design misstep of form over function. Given that Crystal staterooms are already on the smaller side compared to many of the other luxury lines the one saving grace was the amount of clever storage. I hope they keep this in mind when they design the new ocean liners. 

Unfortunately there is often a disconnect between what looks good from  a design  perspective  and what  is better functionally  and that  is not  just at  sea or hotels but in other areas as  well.

As to the ship, the original Serenity PH had wasted space and in the dry  dock when the rooms were  redone they added in several shelves which created lots more storage room.  In the most recent dry  dock when the TV was removed they added in an additional shelf which is where  we keep water bottles, etc as they added in a piece in front of them to keep it from falling.

On land  it is amazing in several new hotels that they don't put enough outlets in the room or even by a desk and it is particularly strange in this world of electronics.

Yes I agree that a bed skirt makes  a  lot of sense on the ship even though many design magazines feature beds without the skirts.  I  also think maximizing storage space to the fullest extent possible is wise.

My suggestion is that in the  surveys that people provide the feedback.  It wouldn't be a major cost  issue to add  them in. 

Keith

Shirin, I agree completely, and I haven't sailed on Mozart but I had the same impression when I saw the initial stateroom photos.  I get them trying to go in that direction -- thinner, sleeker furniture makes the room look more modern and spacious.  But a cruise ship cabin is not nearly as forgiving as a hotel room when it comes to form vs. function.  Everything in a cruise ship cabin has to work efficiently -- especially when your rooms are smaller than average in your segment.

Personally, and this is more of a style thing for me, I hate the new trend of open shelves and exposed wire bins vs. enclosed cabinets and drawers in hotel rooms in general.  I like being able to put things out of sight, at least when I travel.  I can't wait until this fad is over.

+1 about the surveys, Keith.  That's how they came back from the grave the last couple times. 

Vince

I actually tried to change our booking a couple of months ago to a regular PH but we would have needed to move in the middle of 3 cruises  so I stuck with the Seabreeze.   Lazy!

The videos of the Crystal Serenity Seabreeze Penthouses indicate that there are drawers in the bedside tables.  I hope that is the reality!  

From the original “specs” to the finished product there have been some changes: room/balcony size; king bed now queen and a few other minor things.    

We will think positive and adapt but it is difficult to comprehend basic anomalies.   It is great to hear that the couches are being modified.   I feel badly for the staff with the extra work caused by the “new designs”.  Aside from storing luggage, every time someone wants to have a meal ( even breakfast)  in their room, it appears that a table will need to be brought in through the double door/passage way!  

We have new snowfall here today in Ontario so we are definitively thinking positively towards the Serenity in May!

It isn't just room plans - I'm continually amazed by how often design looks out ways practical needs.   For cruise ship room design you wonder if the designers and approver have ever traveled on cruises including long ones.  I often think that the people who design streets and roads don't drive.

10 minutes ago, Cancun01 said:

I actually tried to change our booking a couple of months ago to a regular PH but we would have needed to move in the middle of 3 cruises  so I stuck with the Seabreeze.   Lazy!

The videos of the Crystal Serenity Seabreeze Penthouses indicate that there are drawers in the bedside tables.  I hope that is the reality!  

From the original “specs” to the finished product there have been some changes: room/balcony size; king bed now queen and a few other minor things.    

We will think positive and adapt but it is difficult to comprehend basic anomalies.   It is great to hear that the couches are being modified.   I feel badly for the staff with the extra work caused by the “new designs”.  Aside from storing luggage, every time someone wants to have a meal ( even breakfast)  in their room, it appears that a table will need to be brought in through the double door/passage way!  

We have new snowfall here today in Ontario so we are definitively thinking positively towards the Serenity in May!

I am posting a couple of photos I took of the Crystal Serenity Seabreeze PH room a few months ago.  I will see if one is open and take some additional photos.

Keith

1860097369_IMG_16132.thumb.jpg.0232c0af747afe909303fd52fcf7a218.jpg130199149_IMG_16142.thumb.jpg.67bab3f1b2ee5a6e2290240e1f0c4783.jpg

59 minutes ago, ctjon said:

It isn't just room plans - I'm continually amazed by how often design looks out ways practical needs.   For cruise ship room design you wonder if the designers and approver have ever traveled on cruises including long ones.  I often think that the people who design streets and roads don't drive.

That's the really fun part...  Both cruise ship cabins and hotel rooms go through a prototype phase where people have to actually use the product before the design gets final approval.  When I have complaints with a refit, they're usually in the context of, "how did the people proofing the prototype actually enjoy this aspect???"  Usually though, in fairness, and in my case, it's things like open wire bins that other people love and personally drive me nuts. 

In the case of the bed skirt, there are people that actually thought the visible luggage was better than the bed skirt. 

Vince

I hate the table. To low for me

i have used a bedskirt my whole life

my cAn has more drawers than I use but will like more hanging space 

16 hours ago, Cancun01 said:

Thanks so much Keith!

You are very welcome.

I did some followup.  Unlike the Standard PH there are no pullout draws or cabinets by the bed.

From what I understand a room service cart can be brought into the room but the sides could not be open to create a table.  I believe they are looking at solutions to this specific item but don't think it would be available by your cruise.

While my preference is a traditional PH on Serenity (even over a PS) there are some nice attributes to the new Seabreeze PH including the rain shower and the pull out refrigerator and just the overall newness of the room so hopefully you will still be pleased.

For us we do like the Traditional PH because we like being mid-ship and because of the storage area.  I am reminded that the original PH had limited storage by the bedside and in a major dry dock a few years ago they significantly enhanced it with the shelving and the two desks (one desk and one more of a makeup area) that directly face each other.  In the most recent dry dock they enhanced it further by moving the TV above the couch and creating yet another space for items.

On the Symphony  I do like the new Seabreeze PS very much and have always liked the traditional PS over the traditional PH.

Keith

Keith, I remember seeing that very cool pull out drawer fridge,. For many it is great. For me  it would not work. I can fit the ice bucket in the fridge so it lasts longer. Also I know my own wine or whatever bottles fit. There are sea days the butler woukd be in my cabin non stop just keeping me in ice 

i forgot about the lack of storage in the new cabins. I would not love that

20 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

You are very welcome.

I did some followup.  Unlike the Standard PH there are no pullout draws or cabinets by the bed.

From what I understand a room service cart can be brought into the room but the sides could not be open to create a table.  I believe they are looking at solutions to this specific item but don't think it would be available by your cruise.

While my preference is a traditional PH on Serenity (even over a PS) there are some nice attributes to the new Seabreeze PH including the rain shower and the pull out refrigerator and just the overall newness of the room so hopefully you will still be pleased.

For us we do like the Traditional PH because we like being mid-ship and because of the storage area.  I am reminded that the original PH had limited storage by the bedside and in a major dry dock a few years ago they significantly enhanced it with the shelving and the two desks (one desk and one more of a makeup area) that directly face each other.  In the most recent dry dock they enhanced it further by moving the TV above the couch and creating yet another space for items.

On the Symphony  I do like the new Seabreeze PS very much and have always liked the traditional PS over the traditional PH.

Keith

Thank you very much Keith.  I very much appreciate that you took time out of your vacation to investigate.   I won’t shoot the messenger! LOL!

The main reason that we selected the Seabreeze was because of the newness of the room.   Passengers who were in the PH at some point before us last year confused their stateroom with the Connoisseur  Club. 😉  The solvents used to attempt to clean the odor compounded the issue.

It would be a dull world if we all had the same taste in furnishings.   It is, however, a reasonable expection that advertised room amenities can be enjoyed in comfort.  Enough said!

Cancun01, you are very welcome.

The good news is that the room does smell as if it is new.  Sort of like a new car which retains the smell of newness for a long period of time.  Sorry to hear that someone used their PH as a Connoisseur Club.  I remember a couple of years ago walking by a room on the way to the  Fitness Center and smelling a cigar which I reported immediately to the front desk.

Wishing you a wonderful time on the three back to back cruises.

Keith

Hi.

We are finding this topic helpful in that we have an option on a P1 stateroom

no: 10094 for the 21st September, 2019 cruise on Serenity.

We are unsure if this room has remained as Deluxe Pure and also whether or not the 8 x P1 staterooms on deck 10 received any type of makeover during the October/November 2018 transformation?  

We were last on Serenity, room 8034, just before the dry dock last year and are very much looking forward to experiencing the many changes. 

Thanks to Keith, we feel familiar with the new Serenity already.

Paul & Ann.

Paul & Ann, you are very welcome.

What I do know is that the P1's just like most rooms did not receive a makeover other than getting those new flat screen televisions.  

I would recommend having the TA double check on whether or not they are still deluxe pure.

Keith

14 hours ago, comas said:

Hi.

We are finding this topic helpful in that we have an option on a P1 stateroom

no: 10094 for the 21st September, 2019 cruise on Serenity.

We are unsure if this room has remained as Deluxe Pure and also whether or not the 8 x P1 staterooms on deck 10 received any type of makeover during the October/November 2018 transformation?  

We were last on Serenity, room 8034, just before the dry dock last year and are very much looking forward to experiencing the many changes. 

Thanks to Keith, we feel familiar with the new Serenity already.

Paul & Ann.

Paul & Ann,

I check with the concierge about the P1 and it no longer has Deluxe Pure.

You still have the nice finish out and as I mentioned in my previous post there have been no changes to the room other than the addition of the new flat screen television.

Keith

Is there a difference between Seabreeze PH on Symphony and those on Serenity?

I am booked on a Seabreeze on Symphony for Alaska an i am considering one for next year on Serenity...

is it not forbidden to smoke pipes and cigars on Crystal exception made for the C Club ?

1 hour ago, vistaman said:

Is there a difference between Seabreeze PH on Symphony and those on Serenity?

I am booked on a Seabreeze on Symphony for Alaska an i am considering one for next year on Serenity...

is it not forbidden to smoke pipes and cigars on Crystal exception made for the C Club ?

Some similarities such as rain shower, no tub, and Refrigerator and some differences in furnishings and color scheme.

Cigarettes and Cigars inside the ship prohibited except for The Connoisseur Club and a few designated areas outside where it is permitted.

Keith

7 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Paul & Ann,

I check with the concierge about the P1 and it no longer has Deluxe Pure.

You still have the nice finish out and as I mentioned in my previous post there have been no changes to the room other than the addition of the new flat screen television.

Keith

Keith,

thank you so much for clarifying the query we had. It does seem that  P1 will be classified as a Deluxe Stateroom which is the same as those on decks 8 & 9 where we have previously stayed.  Nothing suitable is available on those decks for this cruise.

The difficulty with contacting Crystal at the weekend is because the London Office is closed!   We will most certainly be booking tomorrow with our T/A now we have the facts.

Thank you again and we shall continue to enjoy following your travels.  We are also very much looking forward to reading your reports from Mozart.  

Paul & Ann

Paul and Ann, you are both welcome.  Good luck with the booking.  If I can help with any other questions please let me know.

Keith