Cruise Critic Community
Keith1010

Crystal Serenity Seabreeze Penthouse With Verandah and Penthouse Suites

Thank you Keith.

Update:   Booked!!

Paul & Ann.

There are other reasons for the elimination of bed skirts.  When I look back at photos of rooms from some former cruises, the bed skirts are always rumpled and unkempt.  The reason is that they must be soft rather than rigid so that luggage  can slide under the bed.  As the bed is made every day the skirt tends to move or be snagged in the mattress.  The result is that even if the skirt is put back in place so that it falls properly it has become wrinkled.  The best fix would seem to be if a new design could be implemented so that a soft skirt could remain in place and yet allow luggage to slide under the bed.

With regard to the sofas, using soft foam means that the cushions lose shape rapidly and pop up at the ends unless the cushions are leashed, especially in sofas with one-piece long seat cushions.  The rigid filling in seat cushions allows the cushions to keep their shape better but they are not nearly as comfortable.  Regent has had the same "too hard" complaints regarding many of the sofas in some of the suites on the Explorer where the cushions are too rigid as in this photo.

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.4c8a6c027f672cf88bfc2975b2079017.jpg

And here is a photo of the sofa from my cruise in a Neptune Suite on HAL last month.  The foam was soft and comfortable but the cushions would not stay in place.  There are solutions but creative thinking is needed.

20190309_141538.thumb.jpg.eb73849fe3acb245edfabd46fca5542b.jpg

I offer these thoughts since I was a designer of hotel rooms for many years and thus I am very aware of the challenges of practical yet attractive design.  It is the responsibility of management to examine new samples of fixtures and furniture before manufacture is allowed to proceed.  For instance, I always had my residential clients sit in custom-made furniture in the workroom while it was just covered in muslin so that it could be adjusted if they did not find it comfortable.

Looking at sketches or photos is not enough.

Oceania is in the process of assembling a group of cruisers to give their comments of the cabins on their existing ships so that their new-build will hopefully avoid some of these problems.  This is another good idea but it requires other solutions as well.

2 hours ago, amusea said:

Oceania is in the process of assembling a group of cruisers to give their comments of the cabins on their existing ships so that their new-build will hopefully avoid some of these problems.

I think this is a great idea - I wish Crystal would do the same.

Crystal usually (at least in the cases I can remember) does mock-up cabins pre-refit so they can test out the renovations before the actual materials go into production.  Especially since the refit work is pre-manufactured and often arrives partially assembled, there is far less room for error than a hotel renovation where things are installed from more components or built/assembled onsite.  That part is not too different.

Where the most recent dry-dock varied is that the new suites didn’t fit the old footprint anymore, which prevented the mockups from being done onboard.  With the mockups done shoreside, that led to a couple of surprises like the creaking of Symphony’s suites, springing from the variances in the test environments.

Then there are opinions that you only start to hear in measurable amounts once you get thousands of opinions, before you see a trend.  I’m sure the cushions seemed the same way.  I lot of people thought “the chair” was a great way to save space — but a lot of others turned out not to.  A lot of people thought the “salad bowl” was just the right distance off the bathroom counter (myself included), but others obviously not.  Both of those items passed an onboard mock-up.

Vince

We were in an SH cabin on Symphony.  My DW loved the hard sofa...

If the did mock up the desk area, someone forgot to use it.  Like sit at the desk.  No one now can enter the closet or the bathroom..

One thing to note is that while there are similarities there are quite a lot of differences between the Symphony and Serenity Seabreeze Suites including colors, couches, other furniture, bedding, and finish out/storage.

Keith

I hope that the TV pulls out from the wall so you can easily view it from the TV?  Anyone have a pic of how the TV looks when pulled away from the wall?

20 minutes ago, Richk582 said:

I hope that the TV pulls out from the wall so you can easily view it from the TV?  Anyone have a pic of how the TV looks when pulled away from the wall?

Which ship, which category of seabreeze are you asking about and in the case of the Penthouse Suite (the larger of the two categories) which room as there are two TV's in that category.

Keith

Just now, Keith1010 said:

Which ship, which category of seabreeze are you asking about and in the case of the Penthouse Suite (the larger of the two categories) which room as there are two TV's in that category.

Keith

Thanks Keith

We'll be on Crystal Serenity in a standard Seabreeze Suite.

4 hours ago, Richk582 said:

Thanks Keith

We'll be on Crystal Serenity in a standard Seabreeze Suite.

Richk582, you are most welcome.

I did verify with you that you can pull the TV in the smaller of the two new Seabreeze Suites out and turn it.  This is similar to the original PH before they eliminated that TV and placed it over the couch where it is now.

Keith

Can you pull the tvs out on the 2 seebreeze penthouse suites on serenity?

Also, are the beds as comfortable as the regular suites?

Are you saying the bedside tables don't have any drawers?

Where did they think people would put their "stuff"?

7 hours ago, Norma page said:

Can you pull the tvs out on the 2 seebreeze penthouse suites on serenity?

Also, are the beds as comfortable as the regular suites?

Are you saying the bedside tables don't have any drawers?

Where did they think people would put their "stuff"?

I do not believe the TV's pull out in the 2 seabreeze penthouse suites given their placement on the wall as I don't think there would be a need for that.  Same goes for the new TV's added to the traditional Penthouse with Veranda (PH) we were in for most of this voyage which are over the couch.

I cannot speak to the beds in the new Serenity Seabreeze suites.  However, we had a Seabreeze Penthouse Suite on Symphony and found the mattress to be very comfortable as we find the other beds to be.

The bedside tables have draws.  I was answering the question about the Seabreeze Penthouse with Verandah and noting that the wall that is adjacent to the bed does not have pullout draws as does  the traditional PH.  Actually when they  redid the standard PH several years  ago and put in the new wall units which we love  they added more draw and shelf space than the original design.

When it comes to space for storage I think the challenge with the new Seabreeze rooms is for those taking a long cruise such as a World Cruise.  With that said my experience is you find ways to optimize the space that you have as we have done on many voyages.

On Serenity I still prefer the traditional PH and PS suites over the new Seabreeze categories with my favorite being the PH.  On Symphony we  have always  preferred the PS suites over PH and loved the new Seabreeze Suite.

Like most things it comes down to personal preferences.  For example, if one requires a bathtub (we don't) a traditional suite would be the way to go.  We loved the rain shower that is in the new Seabreeze categories.

Keith

I can not live without the tub.  Oceania redid the cabins in the class I was in abd did not inform the travel agent in time for me to cancel. It was a long 30 days of no tub. In the two weeks I have been home most nights I had a bath.

i love the storage in the PH. Just wish  the hanging space in closet was different. Need more space for dresses and less for pants abd shorts.

Is the couch in the seabreeze (SH) the same length as the penthouse with verandah (PH)? My son is with us on the trip and he has no problem fitting on the (PH) but the only available cabin now is the SH.

11 minutes ago, 123456con said:

Is the couch in the seabreeze (SH) the same length as the penthouse with verandah (PH)? My son is with us on the trip and he has no problem fitting on the (PH) but the only available cabin now is the SH.

To me it looks like it would be the same.

I'm including photos.  The one of the PH is before they moved the TV over the couch and replaced the TV by the bed with a shelf.

DSC_4182.thumb.jpg.b865fda575ff46bb2994d677f3041d0c.jpg

IMG_1613.thumb.jpg.13a5e683876e141d12859c9dbf66139b.jpg

To be 100% sure have your TA see if Crystal reservations knows the dimensions and if they don't I am sure if your TA asked on board guest services they could contact the ship for someone to get you the precise dimensions.

Keith

Thanks Keith!  The picture does look the same; the rendering they have online is so tiny that I was worried.

I agree, they should put a nice paneled bed skirt. Not only is luggage stored under but usually housekeeping has a black bag of linen under the bed as well. 

To the OP I am in a SB penthouse right now. Are you aware that the couch in SB penthouse is actually a sofa bed?  I looked but could not find the dimensions. To simply lay across the actual couch as a bed it would fit someone 5’8” and under.  I will ask our butler if he has a tape measure.  

After my previous pre-boarding comments about the bed skirt I find now that I am actually in the room it is not a big deal.   In fact truth be known I like the bed situation better than the traditional PH for a 24 day cruise.  The bed is higher.  There is not any obstruction sliding cases under and one does not have to hold the bed corner up to pull a case out.  Much, much easier than a traditional room. We have 3 large Samsonite cases plus two carry on rolling cases and they can easily be placed so they  are out of sight.   No black bags of linen under our bed.  It is much cleaner for a person who may have dust allergies ( I don’t).