Common Scheduled Activity on a Cruise Ship That I Have No interest In participating I

vicky3vicky

There is so much to do on a Carnival Cruise. And there are so many activities that you can expect to see on every cruise.I love to try new things, but I don't care how much free champagne they give out, I have never had the slightest desire to attend any of the art auctions. I doubt I ever will. Are there any regularly scheduled activities on a cruise that you can't see yourself ever participating in?

Edited by vicky3vicky
double word
  • Like 2

If you haven't gone to the art auctions don't bother. Its just hours of hard sells on art pieces that you can't research the actual value of without internet along with a minute amount of free champagne. Even their "giveaways" aren't free.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

There is so much to do on a Carnival Cruise. And there are so many activities that you can expect to see on every cruise.I love to try new things, but I don't care how much free champagne they give out, I have never had the slightest desire to attend any of the art auctions. I doubt I ever will. Are there any regularly scheduled activities on a cruise that you can't see yourself ever participating in?

The art auction for sure. We did go to one....once. And the free champagne is nasty stuff. Jewelry sales are another we avoid along with any over-hyped 'improve yourself' gimmicks. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, FLCruise7 said:

With you on the art auctions. 

We also skip anything that is a blatant sales pitch - "Look 10 years younger!"

and "Walking in comfort" come to mind.  All they try to do is sell you products.

SPA! Nagging salesmanship.

You must buy our new improved snake oil!

Oh and our teeth-whitening? - will brighten your smile up to 3 shades lighter!

And then there's the Diamonds!! -SO rare you see them on every single ship.

I once learned what a Ten-Table Diamond is!!
You'll never believe it... It's a diamond that sparkles so brightly

that it catches the envious eye from ten tables away, when you're at dinner!

Give it a REST........

• Like 3

"Walking in comfort" come to mind

I'll never really "walk in comfort"...not really. Fibromyalgia makes moving period kinda a PITA a lot of times.

And I've never been to an art auction...because I have zero interest in that and some of the art is (at least to me) not really all that great. I don't CARE who Peter Max is. I really don't. Until I saw some of his 'work' (is it really though? Or just copies?) on a cruise, I had no idea who he was. And some of that art (like those creepy owls I've seen on a couple of cruises) are downright scary.

Also never been to a hairy chest competition or a late night deck party (well..once. And I ended up burning the crap out of my mouth because when the tag said 'hot queso' I  thought it meant temperture wise. It meant temp wise AND spiciness wise. Ow.) because I'm usually in bed or at least quietly reading in my cabin by that time of night.

Edited by IPlayWithString

I definitely agree about the art auctions. As well as anything to do with the spa or the jewelry,expensive perfumes,purses etc. I avoid all that like the plague. I also dont attend Quest or karaoke. I find so much to do that I do enjoy.

• Like 1

Art Auctions are mostly a rip-off.

I was on Ocean Village Two, at the art auction.

I bid successfully on two rather basic prints of old ships.

I questioned the guy about immediate payment and immediate delivery

since I would be disembarking at (home port) Barbados anyway

where the cruise ended, and where I live the other side of town

Oh no no NO! The prints had to go back to England

and be shipped out to Barbados from there, at a cost

greater than what I paid for the two prints!

I was laughing at the idiocy of it all.
I think it was 30 Pounds shipping, for 15 Pounds worth of "art".

I said forget it and the whole deal was reversed. NO Sale, sorry.

These are the two pics I took.

ArtAuction1.jpg

ArtAuction2.jpg

27 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Hard for me to reconcile Carnival is kid friendly when they still have the hairy chest contest on the Lido deck in the middle of the day with lots of kids around. 

Huh? Children haven't seem hairy men before? Surely, all that silly dancing isn't offensive. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Aplmac said:

Art Auctions are mostly a rip-off.

I was on Ocean Village Two, at the art auction.

I bid successfully on two rather basic prints of old ships.

I questioned the guy about immediate payment and immediate delivery

since I would be disembarking at (home port) Barbados anyway

where the cruise ended, and where I live the other side of town

Oh no no NO! The prints had to go back to England

and be shipped out to Barbados from there, at a cost

greater than what I paid for the two prints!

I was laughing at the idiocy of it all.
I think it was 30 Pounds shipping, for 15 Pounds worth of "art".

I said forget it and the whole deal was reversed. NO Sale, sorry.

These are the two pics I took.

ArtAuction1.jpg

ArtAuction2.jpg

A "virgin cruising couple" went with us a few cruises ago.  They went to the art auction. They bought a painting.  The auctioneer had them hooked. They spent the rest of the cruise going to art events.  This couple ened up spending 1,000s on paintings.  We didn't get it, but to each their own.

• Haha 1

We avoid light night events like night clubs and comedy. Anything art related. It drives me crazy that they let jewelry salesmen take up space in busy walkways. 

We also avoid the photographers like the plague. They always set up their backdrops in the most inconvenient places making it difficult to maneuver around the ship!

We LOVE piano bar and karaoke (watching mostly) though.

• Like 1

Trivia, treasure hunts, and anything that “advertises someting free”, (liquor tasting, etc..) all things I avoid. Never have found the appeal in answering a bunch of mind numbing questions all in pursuit of a plastic ship on a stick. But to each their own... 

• Like 1

DH & I went to the art auction on our cruise in 1998. We actually bought a few pieces that appealed to us to decorate our new house at the time. We still have them- 3 out of the 4 are not worth even what we paid for them back then, but one of them, a Leroy Neiman sports-related print, has increased in value quite a bit! But that's just a happy coincidence, and we didn't buy them as investments, so we're happy overall with them.

However, any time we've been encouraged to attend again, we politely say no thanks, since we have no more walls to decorate, like we did back then! Not to mention, I rarely see anything that appeals to me the way the 4 items we bought did!

I never bother with the Hairy Chest contest, not because I'm offended, just because it doesn't appeal to me.

As others have said, I avoid the bulk jewelry sales- so much junk for an inflated price! I bought a Gold by the Inch bracelet- turned my DH's wrist green immediately; next cruise I bought the Bella Perlina bracelet- it broke as soon as we disembarked. I bought a watch and keychain combo- watch stopped working within a  month (not a dead battery). Now I'd rather save my money for something that's likely to last longer than the cruise!