What is the baggage policy for BA?

happy cruzer

I currently have a booking on American but the same flight with a BA flight number (there is note that says operated by AA) is $129 total less for two people.  DFW to London.

Booking through Princess online, can do the seat assignment but can't see BA's baggage fees until I have a booking number?

Any advice will the fee eat up any savings?  We are flying in 3 days before the cruise.

Edited by happy cruzer

7 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

I currently have a booking on American but the same flight with a BA flight number (there is note that says operated by AA) is $129 total less for two people.  DFW to London.

Booking through Princess online, can do the seat assignment but can't see BA's baggage fees until I have a booking number?

Any advice will the fee eat up any savings?  We are flying in 3 days before the cruise.

Everything you need to know here:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us/information/baggage-essentials/checked-baggage-allowances

True that is where the info is.  However I am not sure what their terminology means  Euro Traveller, World Traveller, etc.

I think we will be World Traveller in the other category?  So we will have one carryon and one checked bag.  Just checking with the more experienced BA travellers 🙂

19 hours ago, fbgd said:

Luggage is by OPERATING carrier, so BA's allowance has nothing to do with it if American are operating it.

19 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

I thought it went by the flight number, my bad.

That page from the BA website seems pretty clear:-

If your journey includes a flight with an airline other than British Airways, your checked baggage allowance may be different:

• If every flight in your journey has a BA code (e.g. BA1234) you will get British Airways’ checked baggage allowance, even if some or all of the flights are operated by other airlines (so-called 'codeshare' flights).
  • If every flight in your journey has another airline’s code, you will get that airline’s baggage allowance.

20 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

However I am not sure what their terminology means  Euro Traveller, World Traveller, etc.

I think we will be World Traveller in the other category?  So we will have one carryon and one checked bag.  Just checking with the more experienced BA travellers

As that page says, Euro Traveller and World Traveller are brand names for economy.

In economy, the standard checked baggage allowance is one bag. The maximum permissible weight of this one bag is 23 kg. Extra bags, or extra weight, will be chargeable.

Both AA and BA now sell "basic" fares across the Atlantic that come with no checked baggage allowance included. If this is what you buy, then any checked baggage will have to paid for. You will have to ask Princess what you are buying if you buy the cheaper fare from BA. If it is a "basic" fare, the BA website will then tell you how much you have to pay for any checked baggage. On the other hand, if the cheaper fare from BA is a standard fare that comes with the standard checked baggage allowance, then one checked bag will be included.

Thanks.  My flight going over has BA flight number and back from FLL has AA number.  But both are listed as Economy.  So reading the details that means I get the BA allowance since that is the more significant carrier.   But either way one checked bag at 23 kg.  Thanks for everyone's time! 

3 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

My flight going over has BA flight number and back from FLL has AA number.  But both are listed as Economy.  So reading the details that means I get the BA allowance since that is the more significant carrier.

Do I understand correctly that you're flying DFW to LHR on a BA flight number on an AA aircraft before the cruise, and from FLL to DFW on an AA flight number on an AA aircraft after the cruise?

If so, then BA is the most significant carrier for the DFW-LHR journey, and AA is the most significant carrier for the FLL-DFW journey. Not that it matters, as they are each the only carrier involved in each journey. MSC only really matters if you are using different airlines on a single journey, ie you are connecting between different airlines. But you are not connecting, because you have a trans-Atlantic cruise in between the two flights.

Yes.  One flight on BA (operated by 
AA) over, then TA cruise, and one flight back on AA. Both are economy.  I think I get one checked bag included on the BA flight.  But will I get a "free" checked bag on the return flight on AA even though it is domestic economy?  Wow I feel dumb...

1 hour ago, happy cruzer said:

Yes.  One flight on BA (operated by 
AA) over, then TA cruise, and one flight back on AA. Both are economy.  I think I get one checked bag included on the BA flight.  But will I get a "free" checked bag on the return flight on AA even though it is domestic economy?  Wow I feel dumb...

Yes, you will have a free checked bag. No need to feel dumb - airline fees/rules are constantly amended and are often confusing.

21 hours ago, dogs4fun said:

Yes, you will have a free checked bag. No need to feel dumb - airline fees/rules are constantly amended and are often confusing.

I'm not an AA expert, so clearly this change had passed me by! I thought that all AA domestic economy fares have zero included checked baggage (subject to frequent flyer etc exceptions), and that even the first checked bag requires a fee.

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

I'm not an AA expert, so clearly this change had passed me by! I thought that all AA domestic economy fares have zero included checked baggage (subject to frequent flyer etc exceptions), and that even the first checked bag requires a fee.

You are correct. There are is no free baggage on AA domestic. If the OP's AA flight originates in Europe, free bag is included. Perhaps it is I who have misunderstood. If this flight is not r/t from europe then a domestic AA flight will carry baggage fees.

Perhaps the OP can clarify - where does the return AA flight originate and terminate?

I now understand the baggage fee on the return flight FLL-DFW.  We will only have one bag to check so $50 to factor in cost comparisons.  I am assuming that if the DFW - LHR was on the original AA flight number that we would still have the fee on the return AA FLL-DFW flight.  So either way ( using BA or AA for DFW-LHR) we have to pay the baggage fee on return...

Thank you all very much for the help.

Hoping somebody can give me an answer to this question.  After reading all of this I am confused now.  We are flying AA from DFW to FCO, business class.  I know I will have no baggage fees on that flight between my AAdvantage card and the class.  We booked everything through AA but our flight from FCO stops in LHR and we will be on BA.  We booked Premium Economy seats but the only flight that is available will be our LHR to DFW.....so baggage fees?  Only one bag per person when we leave FCO?