Help for car Rental in Moorea want to tour island and go to Lagoonarium

fedexretiree

We are arriving on PG in August and I need some help here on renting a car in Moorea .  I checked with Avis and they can't tell me which location to book the rental.  I have a few questions if someone can help please.

1.  There are 2 locations that I have to choose from either the Airport or the Ferry terminal which one do I book?

2.  Does Avis pick up at the PG tender port or do we have to catch a cab to pick up the car and how far from where the tender drops you off is Avis?

3.  We want to do the Lagoonarium on our own so any advice on that would be great too, such as how far from the ship is it and would we make the AM fish feeding?

4.  How much time would you recommend that we spend at Lagoonarium and do we have to purchase tickets in advance?

5.  We also want to tour the island on our own, so do we need to rent the car for 2 days or will we have enough time to do that after Lagoonarium?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rent the car for either Alberts or Avis.  Both will pick you up a the tender port and bring you to their office.  When we did this last year Avis brought us to the Intercontinental Hotel where they have vehicles.  You can contact Avis directly on Moorea, or use Alberts.  The lagoonarium is about 30 - 40 minutes from the tender port or the IC hotel.  You should be able to easily make the morning feeding at the lagoonarium.  I think when we did this we could not leave until about 1 as their boat does not run during the time of the feeding.  

Presuming you are OK to leave after the feeding, or only hang out until 1-2 pm you can easily see other things on that same day.  Most stop at the juice factory (30 minute stop at best) and you can then drive up to the Belevedre outlook.  From the main ring road when you drive up to Belevedere it is 1 hour round trip, at best, presuming you stop for a quick ice cream at the agricultural school, drive to the outlook, hang around for 10 minutes of pictures, and head back down.  Unless you want to stop in many, many shops you can cover everything in one day.  Obviously spreading this out over 2 days allows for a more leisurely day.

32 minutes ago, FlightMedic555 said:

Rent the car for either Alberts or Avis.  Both will pick you up a the tender port and bring you to their office.  When we did this last year Avis brought us to the Intercontinental Hotel where they have vehicles.  You can contact Avis directly on Moorea, or use Alberts.  The lagoonarium is about 30 - 40 minutes from the tender port or the IC hotel.  You should be able to easily make the morning feeding at the lagoonarium.  I think when we did this we could not leave until about 1 as their boat does not run during the time of the feeding.  

Presuming you are OK to leave after the feeding, or only hang out until 1-2 pm you can easily see other things on that same day.  Most stop at the juice factory (30 minute stop at best) and you can then drive up to the Belevedre outlook.  From the main ring road when you drive up to Belevedere it is 1 hour round trip, at best, presuming you stop for a quick ice cream at the agricultural school, drive to the outlook, hang around for 10 minutes of pictures, and head back down.  Unless you want to stop in many, many shops you can cover everything in one day.  Obviously spreading this out over 2 days allows for a more leisurely day.

Great thanks....Sounds like 1 day rental will do it for us.

How did you contact Avis?  I tried the 800 number and they said that they didn't have a toll free number to the office in Moorea.  Do they have an email that I can use.  The guy that I spoke to was not very helpful or even tried to be. 

We made reservations online with Avis. They were there to pick us up fat the tender drop off, and we dropped off the driver at the IC. If you can't drive a standard transmission car, you need to speak to someone and get a confirmation that you will have an automatic transmission. A few people got a rude awakening when they got off the tender, and there were no cars available that they could drive.

Edited by SWFLAOK