Sydney Opal Card

roothy123

I'm just wondering if an Opal Card can be purchased at all of the Sydney Ferries ferry stops, including Balmain and Balmain East.  If not, can I at least purchase one way tickets to Circular Wharf, either at the wharf or nearby?

We spent five days in Sydney last month.  The Opal card is great.   We recharged ours at Woolworths grocery store.  Keep in mind that the cards have to be incremented/recharged $10. or more at a time.

We used the ferry system and the trains extensively.  Even took the train to the airport.   Passed on our cards that had a balance to some backpackers at Sydney airport.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 11:53 PM, roothy123 said:

I'm just wondering if an Opal Card can be purchased at all of the Sydney Ferries ferry stops, including Balmain and Balmain East.  If not, can I at least purchase one way tickets to Circular Wharf, either at the wharf or nearby?

Balmain East ferry wharf:

https://transportnsw.info/stop?q=10102010#/

Facilities

• Opal card top up or single trip ticket machine
  • Emergency help point
  • Bike racks

Balmain ferry wharf:

https://transportnsw.info/stop?q=10102008#/

Facilities

• Opal card top up or single trip ticket machine
  • Emergency help point
  • Wheelchair accessible car space
  • Bike racks

On 4/12/2019 at 4:59 AM, iancal said:

Passed on our cards that had a balance to some backpackers at Sydney airport.

Very nice of you - I'm sure they appreciated it. Now, you didn't link to your cc with auto-topup, right? Or they would REALLY appreciate it 🙂

No.  We did not bother. We only had about $5. on each card after taking the train to the airport.  We were surprised at how easy it was to take the train from Central...just two stops I think.   Easy for us as we only had fairly light carry on roller bags.

For the second time, our Jetstar flight to Honolulu was a code share with Qantas.  We stop there for a day or two and then fly  home.   The cost of doing this, airfare and hotel cost, is about the same as what we we pay for a one way home from Sydney on other carriers.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We bought our Opal cards at the airport. Once you have the card you can easily put money through the electronic booths that are found in many places such as Circular Quay. We found it very east to travel with the Opal card. The Sydney transportation system is excellent!