Terrific Show last night StepOne Dance Company in World Stage, Nieuw Statendam

Last night (Monday, April eighth) was the first gala night on a seven-day Western Caribbean on the new ship. We don’t often go to big theater’s shows any more for various reasons, but I wanted to see what the World Stage looked like in action. Good decision, because it was definitely one of the best shows I’ve ever seen on a ship (out of about 40 cruises). I wasn’t the only one - a long, standing ovation last night - and this morning’s Cruise Director Coffee Chat with the six performers saw a big, enthusiastic crowd. Even the coffee chat actually had a standing ovation, and comments from numerous people during the audience Q&A echoed my reaction.

The show was called “Humanity.” The music was a mix of familiar and modern music (but never deafening, blaring, or annoying), and the room-surrounding projected lighting effects were truly impressive. For example, in one set, the dancers wore panters’ overalls and had paint cans - somehow, they “painted” colorful splashes on the floor, their clothes, and in sweeping arcs across entire walls of the stage. All done with lighting effects. In another set, they got into and out of a “glass elevator” made of lights, which went up or down because the “city” moved behind them, and in another they had umbrellas in a rainstorm with water and puddles underfoot. Hard to describe all the effects and how the performers interacted with the lighting backdrops, but really cool to watch. The show also had solo numbers which showcased their very strong skills as dancers. (They do not sing in the shows, but there is some recorded vocal music.)

It was a great showcase for the World Stage capabilities. I think this group is still on N. Statendam next week, and they are eventually going to the K-dam.

• Like 2